Is he right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cobraondarun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

To make a long story short (writing this during my lunch break) let me just say that I have been reading through these forums for the past couple of months and it has inspired me to pursue my dream of becoming a MD, and I have reached out to a few med schools that have given me hope that it is possible. However, here is my problem:

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 (however when all attempts are factored in its about a 2.9) (sociology) upward trend with the last two years being a 3.7
Grad GPA 3.95 (sociology)
Currently work as a teacher so I am having to take my pre-reqs at the local university and the CC, yet most schools in FL i want to apply said its not a big deal.

Yesterday I went and spoke to the pre-med adviser at my local university who pretty much told me that I shouldn't waste my time or money, and despite my plans of volunteering at low income clinics I wouldnt be able to get enough experience/time between now and 2 years when I apply.

I assumed that if I did well (mostly A's) in my pre-req courses, shadowed and volunteered with physicians in low income areas, and did well on my MCATS that at least one med school would give me a chance to explain how I want to combine my sociological background with a medical degree to serve my community (looking at GP and Psychiatry).

I am not giving up, but do you guys think this adviser is right?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am in a similar situation. I got a PhD in sociology at an ivy league school (also teaching full-time) and am thinking about getting a medical degree. If you are interested in getting a Pys.D that will get you a professional doctorate. But why would anyone discourage you? I keep seeing news reports of how there is a huge physician shortage in the U.S. especially in rural and low income areas so why hold back? Perhaps you should look into DO programs that value community experiences. Maybe you live in a particularly competitive state like CA or NY?

DO also allows for graduate grades to be included in the reported GPA, which is a boost.

I started from a little over 3.4 s/cGPA (closer to 3.5 now) and had a tough time finding md schools where I thought I'd have any chance. If you want a wake up for stats and you have ~$20, you can buy the msar from aamc and you'll see the 10th percent gpa for accepted students is often at or above 3.4 (many are higher), so it's going to take some work if you want to apply successfully to MD programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone, and you are right gonnif my chances are zero if I don't apply. NonTrad16 I actually did purchase the MSAR and began to doubt if this was even possible, but then when I emailed the FL schools I am interested in attending they all replied with the "we don't focus on particular numbers but rather look at the entire application" (this could just be something they say). Jmp2114 I actually live in Miami, FL and plan to attend one of the FL state schools.

Regardless, I am moving forth with this and using this site as motivation and hopefully be able to write in 2 years how I am about to start med school.

Many of our state schools screen for GPA of 3.0 and MCAT of 24. So yes, you should do your post bac and try to make straight As (or as close to it as possible). Regarding your ECs, you should absolutely be able to get sufficient clinical and volunteering experience over a two year period. I would say that 2-4 hours of clinical volunteering per week done over 1-2 years is both reasonable and in keeping with the degree of experience that many of your trad peers will have. I'm not sure why your advisor feels that this will be insufficient, but maybe he has some other concern about the quality/quantity of your ECs that you haven't mentioned?

Keep in mind too that teaching is a service profession, and my experience (on both the applicant and adcom sides) has been that applicants with teaching backgrounds tend to be well-received by adcoms. In fact, the word "doctor" comes from the Latin for "teacher." :)

Reactions: 1 user
Go ahead and shadow a DO too, md just isn't likely to be in the cards but you can apply anyway to see what happens. Just don't blow a year because you wanted to swing for the fences....apply to both the first year

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1430394977.995810.jpg

A stack of these were printed and left out at my school.

Reactions: 4 users
Upward trends are always good. However, the Sociology MS GPA won't count for anything.

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 (however when all attempts are factored in its about a 2.9) (sociology) upward trend with the last two years being a 3.7 Grad GPA 3.95 (sociology)

MSAR Online will let you know who accepts what.
Currently work as a teacher so I am having to take my pre-reqs at the local university and the CC, yet most schools in FL i want to apply said its not a big deal.

Yet more evidence that most pre-med advisors are worthless. You'll get good advice here, even with the high levels of angst.
Yesterday I went and spoke to the pre-med adviser at my local university who pretty much told me that I shouldn't waste my time or money, and despite my plans of volunteering at low income clinics I wouldnt be able to get enough experience/time between now and 2 years when I apply.

If you ace your post-bac coursework, and MCAT, there are med schools that reward reinvention. U Miami is one of them. Your state schools are your best bet. LECOM-B and Nova should definitely be on your list.
I assumed that if I did well (mostly A's) in my pre-req courses, shadowed and volunteered with physicians in low income areas, and did well on my MCATS that at least one med school would give me a chance to explain how I want to combine my sociological background with a medical degree to serve my community (looking at GP and Psychiatry).

It sounds your advisor has no business advising cows, much less pre-meds.
I am not giving up, but do you guys think this adviser is right?[/QUOTE]

Goro
Thank you, and I actually went and spoke today with a pre-med advisor at FIU (where I will now be taking my pre-reqs) and she was very helpful, she said what most of what everyone here has already said
-Teaching background (high school and CC Adjunct) will be helpful
-Upward trend is very good and shows a turn around
-Shadowing/volunteering at a low income clinic will be good (both MD and DO)
-She even helped me restructure my timeline for courses.

Thanks everyone for all your support.

Hi, I am in a similar situation. I got a PhD in sociology at an ivy league school (also teaching full-time) and am thinking about getting a medical degree. If you are interested in getting a Pys.D that will get you a professional doctorate. But why would anyone discourage you? I keep seeing news reports of how there is a huge physician shortage in the U.S. especially in rural and low income areas so why hold back? Perhaps you should look into DO programs that value community experiences. Maybe you live in a particularly competitive state like CA or NY?

Unfortunately, my grad work was not an Ivy but I did spend the summer at Cornell for their labor program. Also, I stopped at the MA since my heart is really in medicine. Good luck!

Anyone that tells you that you are wasting your time/have not shot/etc should be ignored. It all depends on whether you can prove yourself or not. As you'll see from lurking on here, there are tons of success stories of people turning things around and getting in. Yes you'll be at a disadvantage, but there is always an option

Your pre-med advisor is daft.

There are many schools that value reinventing yourself. Kill your post-bacc classes, do well on your MCAT, and best of luck to you!

The job of the pre-me advisor is to HELP you get into medical school, not keep you from pursuing your dreams. Don't ever listen to anyone who attempts to dissuade you from choosing medicine. He/She is probably someone who couldn't get in themselves. I have no idea why someone who's a pre-med advisor would advise you NOT to attain your goals. This pre-med advisor obviously doesn't know his/her job very well.

I personally don't take advice from under-achievers. Go for it!

Many of our state schools screen for GPA of 3.0 and MCAT of 24. So yes, you should do your post bac and try to make straight As (or as close to it as possible). Regarding your ECs, you should absolutely be able to get sufficient clinical and volunteering experience over a two year period. I would say that 2-4 hours of clinical volunteering per week done over 1-2 years is both reasonable and in keeping with the degree of experience that many of your trad peers will have. I'm not sure why your advisor feels that this will be insufficient, but maybe he has some other concern about the quality/quantity of your ECs that you haven't mentioned?

Keep in mind too that teaching is a service profession, and my experience (on both the applicant and adcom sides) has been that applicants with teaching backgrounds tend to be well-received by adcoms. In fact, the word "doctor" comes from the Latin for "teacher." :)

May I ask if teaching in any discipline is looked at as favorably? I have a MA in English and have taught Freshman comp. at the college level for a couple years--would that be relevant?

Certainly shows level of maturity, some leadership, it wont be in anyway negative

( except maybe subconsciously by an adcom member who is still suffering from having to read Shakespeare as an undergrad.)

Haha! I can't say I would blame them...

May I ask if teaching in any discipline is looked at as favorably? I have a MA in English and have taught Freshman comp. at the college level for a couple years--would that be relevant?
The discipline doesn't matter. Even if it's Shakespeare. ;)