Is it a bad idea to choose an MSTP based on research interests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chansey

MS-0
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Do you think it's a bad idea for me to choose an MSTP primarily based on my current research interests? Let's say I was interested in one PI at a specific school. Is it bad to choose that school solely because I want to work with that PI? I mean, he could move, my interests could change, or he can turn out to be a total jerk, right?

For those that have gone through an MD/PhD program, did your research interests change between matriculation and the start of graduate school? Honestly, I'm pretty attached to my current field, and I don't see my research interests changing. But then again, I've seen people who swore they were going to do neuroscience end up doing immunology.

So, what factors are important when selecting an MD/PhD program? So far, I've got:
- Strong administrative support during PhD years
- Good campus/location
- Good reputation
- MSTP Class Size
- Availability of good mentors who share my research interests

How would you rank these criteria in terms of importance? Are there any criteria that I've forgotten?

For those that have already matriculated into a program, why did you choose your school over all the other schools you could have attended? Do you feel you made the right choice, and why do you feel that way?

I appreciate everyone's input!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There's nothing wrong with choosing a program that is strong in a specific field of research...but you shouldn't base you choice on one specific PI. Funding is questionable at the moment and as you've said, you have no guarantee you would like that mentor even if they did have the funding for you. Instead look for strength in your general research area. Interested in neuroscience? Look for big programs with lots of resources (primate facilities, lots of useful research cores, etc), flexible curriculums, and numerous potential mentors.

That being said, your research interests may very well change. As you go through MS1/MS2, you will be trying out potential specialties in your head and you will want your PhD research to match your residency field if at all possible. I went from neuroanatomy research to infectious disease and medicinal chemistry, largely because I wanted to work in global health and knew that neuro/psych were not the right fields for me. Several others in my programs have made similar transitions.

To answer your other question, aside from a strong research program, I'd say that institutional flexibility and a strong program director are vital. Flexible programs will exempt you from many of the more time-wasting and irksome PhD requirements based on your MS1/MS2 years. This saves time and it is important. I would also say that some integration between the MD and the PhD is also beneficial and it's worth asking about at interviews. How you rank all of these things will really vary from person to person, but I would say:

1) Strong program leadership
2) Program flexibility
3) Research reputation / number of potential research mentors
4) Integration of MD and PhD
5) Location
6) Program funding/resources
7) Program size

That being said, I knew almost nothing about the application process when I applied, chose programs largely based on word of mouth, and ended up making my final decision based on location. I love my program and I got very, very lucky that things didn't go sideways. This really isn't the best time to be flying by the seat of your pants...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A demonstration of the strength in a given discipline is the presence of NIH T32 in that area. It requires multiple faculty members with excellent training and funding records.

Where do we find if a program has an NIH T32 grant?

OK, so how stupid would it be if I chose my school and I did NOT take into account my research interests at all?

I am getting kind of burned out by the current research I do. (This is hilarious considering last week I wrote that I love my project.) The more I think about it, the more open I am to stepping out of my current field.

Is it OK to make my MD/PhD choice on based primarily on location, culture of institution, etc? And NOT research? Or would I just be shooting myself in the foot?

Your research interests are more dynamic than you think. In the midst of the application cycle, you'll often feel the need to create a coherent narrative and say you're interested in research that is related to what you've done. Once you're at a school, and the pressure is gone, you'll feel more comfortable branching out. Unless you're truly dead set on a specific field of Research, don't worry too much about research strengths. You could pick a school on the grounds of well rounded programs in something like cancer or Genetics, but don't worry about specific questions - your interests are likely to evolve as you go through med school.

Reactions: 1 user