is it a bad sign to get rejected by cvs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goat122

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview with CVS last week in the Baltimore area. Got an email this morning saying they are pursuing other candidates. I thought the interview went well, although they did ask a few harder questions than what I was expecting. I currently work for walmart and I am still waiting to hear back from walmart so I thought I would keep all options open. Now I am freaking out about getting denied by CVS because it seems like CVS is the go-to options for new candidates. Is this a bad sign for me???

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've been hearing, Baltimore is looking to hire a lot of post grad interns. On my first interview, the guy lit up when I said I'd be willing to relocate to Baltimore.

Members don't see this ad :)
CVS already has a plethora of interns in the Baltimore area, so no it doesn't surprise me you'd be turned down when you're applying from outside the company.

That being said, there will be a fair amount of interns who go back on their offers for other employers and residencies in the spring, so you may find better luck after then.

What were the harder questions you weren't expecting?

Things have changed. Getting a job at cvs has become pretty coveted and the competition is fierce nowadays since:

(1) Hospitals have cut back. Residents have a difficult time getting a job
(2) Graduates have 150-300 k in student loan debt so they are looking for a job that pays the best.

Be prepared to be own by CVS for the next 10 years as you work to pay your student loans. They have a bus load of new graduates who are not only willing to take your spot but who are also willing to work for less.

Does anybody every really want to work for CVS? (or any of the other big box chains) - I moonlighted for them for a few years and every time I walk into the place and hear "You have 3 pharmacy calls" I get PTSD.

Consider it a blessing is disguise - you will find much better jobs out there - We as pharmacist have to learn we will just have to cut our teeth in a less than ideal job for a while before finding one that we can like for the rest of our career. I am just glad I am there now

I know I got rejected from the chains because I openly made statements during the interview that I don't like hands-on district managers and micromanagement from middle management and said that having to meet certain goals like Triple S and KPM, readyfill, etc is not in the best interest of a pharmacist, and that speed is not important.

I know I got rejected from the chains because I openly made statements during the interview that I don't like hands-on district managers and micromanagement from middle management and said that having to meet certain goals like Triple S and KPM, readyfill, etc is not in the best interest of a pharmacist, and that speed is not important.

I appreciate your candor, but did you really want the job if you said this? We all know what the "right thing" to say in the interview, vs giving our actual opinions. I would find it mildly entertaining to go to an interview when I really didn't need the job, and answer like this just to see their response.

I appreciate your candor, but did you really want the job if you said this? We all know what the "right thing" to say in the interview, vs giving our actual opinions. I would find it mildly entertaining to go to an interview when I really didn't need the job, and answer like this just to see their response.

I never really wanted a retail chain job but I didn't have any job at the time, the interviews were during a job fair at my school during our P4 year.

The only thing that I really did that was bold during my interviews at the hospital my response to the question "where do you see yourself in 10 years", which I answered with : "as your replacement/as your boss".

I never really wanted a retail chain job but I didn't have any job at the time, the interviews were during a job fair at my school during our P4 year.

The only thing that I really did that was bold during my interviews at the hospital my response to the question "where do you see yourself in 10 years", which I answered with : "as your replacement/as your boss".

I actually used that line in applying for a retail job at Schnucks - guess what, I got offered the job - but not enough $$ - they said they could see me as a district manager, but I would have to cut my teeth for a couple of years first (and they staff rph's made 10k less than Osco rph's

Keep your chin up, you will get an offer. I wouldn't sweat it. Nobody gets an offer from every single interview. Sounds like Walmart is one of the best retail places to work anyway. Good Luck!!!!!

I got rejected by Lon, couldn't get an interview with Walmart and Savon told us not to apply If we didn't intern there.

I was guilty of only having 4 years of inpatient experience.

Out of 150 grads only 30% of us had a job lined up at graduation. Of course this was before the retail explosion.

Hindsight....not getting a retail job was the best career chance for me.

Everything happens for a reason.

Reactions: 1 user
It wasn't long ago when you can graduate from a pharmacy school when you are 22 and with little debt. If things don't work out then you still have other opportunities.

Now if you are graduating at 28 with six figure student loan debt, you better land a well paying job. Your ability to raise a family and to buy a house depends on it. That is how things are now.

you are lucky! find a job at a hospital, much better work environment and less stress..:)

This was me when I interviewed with CVS earlier this year. They never called me back.

Meanwhile, I interviewed at three separate hospitals in the South Florida area and received three separate job offers. Did you intern or spend the majority of your fourth year in a clinical or institutional setting? If so they probably don't want to mess with you because they know you will jump ship the moment an opportunity arises.

I live Baltimore. When I graduated 1.5 years ago, CVS didn't bother interviewing any outside candidates or very little at least. They only hired their interns.

I've got rejected by rite aid and they always seem to be hiring in the Baltimore area. Turned out to be the best thing to happen to me since I got hired later by a grocery chain and I love it.

In summary, no worries. You'll find something better. Openings come in rounds so you might find a call later, just let them know you're still interested if you want to work there.

Interesting that they are taking outside interns now. They must only have a few openings though. Thanks for the feedback!

Keep your chin up. You interviewed for a tough market. I assume you haven't been an intern with CVS? I interviewed in a larger, more saturated market as a 2014 graduate and was rejected. I asked my intern coordinator about other markets that are hiring and she said she'd contact some colleagues in different areas. Shortly afterwards, I was woken up by a phone call from the same person I had interviewed with in that large city. We had a second interview informally over the phone and after twenty minutes he made an offer. The pharmacy field is in massive flux. Keep your mind open.