Is it lights out for me? 3.5 cgpa and sgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a freshman in college, last semester i made a 3.5.I am now half through my 2nd semester in college and I'm looking at another 3.5 most likely. I'm certain I'll get a B in bio and possibly even gen chem. I know it's still early but isn't it only supposed to get harder from here? This year I would have taken 29 credits total is it still possible for me to get into a medical school with such a gpa?

EDIT: forgot to mention I'm supposed to apply to Med school end of my sophomore year on an accelerated program

Members don't see this ad.

The first two semesters present their own unique difficulties. I believe a 3.5 will definitely not ruin your chances, especially if you concentrate and perform well in the next year. With only 29 credits, your GPA is still very open to change. Depending on your circumstances, you could also consider taking some courses during the summer, thus adding more weight to your GPA. If you were to perform well in these courses, as well as next year, you should be in very good shape so long as the rest of your application is strong. Good luck and remember to have fun.

Im a freshman in college, last semester i made a 3.5.I am now half through my 2nd semester in college and I'm looking at another 3.5 most likely. I'm certain I'll get a B in bio and possibly even gen chem. I know it's still early but isn't it only supposed to get harder from here? This year I would have taken 29 credits total is it still possible for me to get into a medical school with such a gpa?

EDIT: forgot to mention I'm supposed to apply to Med school end of my sophomore year on an accelerated program

Depends on who you're talking to with regards to difficulty. I got B+ in both gen bios and am on pace to get As/A-s in my upper level bios. I hated gen bio... I thought Ochem was a lot more interesting and less difficult than gen chem as well. I suggest you go to office hours, attend every lecture, ask other students what they're doing to study, as former students of your professors (if you know any) what they did to study, review your lecture notes before and after every lecture, etc.

You're only a sophomore dude... even though you're on an accelerated program, there is no rush to apply next year. Do you even think you'll be ready to apply next year (application strength and personal strength)? I'm applying at the end of my senior year. Not only will have i time to better my application until then, but i will also grow more as a person throughout that time.

EDIT: One thing to make clear: It is not lights out. Period.

Members don't see this ad :)

I started school with a 3.3 freshman year. Ended with a 3.7 (3.8 sGPA). While classes may get harder, grading typically gets easier. Also, you hopefully have learned how to study more effectively this past year. Work hard and good luck.

Dude, I had a 3.0 cGPA after my junior year in college. I knew I wouldnt have a chance with a 3.0 so managed to make 16 A's in a row and pull it up to a 3.6 with a 3.7 sgpa. What I'm saying is calm down....you have PLENTY of time. Dont think about stuff 3 years down the road. Keep your head down, ears up and keep pushing through the semesters. Baby steps.:)

Don't freak out.

Figure out why you are not getting As. Change your study habits so you get better grades.

3.5 is not a bad GPA, but don't let it slip any lower.

Learn the material so you can score well on the MCAT and you can get into medical school.

dsoz

I had similar stats, worked hard and am now a success story.

the lights are not out unless you walk away.

good luck

Deep breaths man. You'll be fine - I had a 2.8 in economics during my undergraduate... also had the best four years of my life. Now I'm not recommending you do that - I had to nail a 4.0 post-bac and do well enough on my MCATs, but anything is possible.

a little older, a little wiser now... and got accepted MD this year.

I believe what got me multiple interviews and an acceptance was everything outside of the classroom - 10+ years of working in an ER, 12+ years on an ambulance, very strong LOR, a great personal statement, and... what I felt like I had to do, was nail the interview.

Guess my point is two fold. Don't give up hope - and remember, there is plenty more that matters outside of the classroom.

Good luck.

Thanks for the responses! I guess I just haven't adjusted to college as well as would have liked. I was hoping I would be accepted to my schools medical school after my sophomore year since I have a lot of ECs I have stuck with and I interview very well. I was just scared I would be over looked because of my freshman GPa. Thanks again for the reassurance

You're only a freshman, and by no means should you already count yourself out. Be confident in your abilities, work hard and enjoy your undergrad college years.

Quit fussing you're doing fine. But bump it up for next year and if you can gett o 3.6, you'll be even more fine.