Is it more important to be liked or respected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mutually exclusive, yes... whatever that means
What do you think? As a prospective dentist.
Keep in mind being liked, may also mean you have no respect

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...
I would say respect. First of all, respect must be earned. Not given. Second, you want respect? Give respect. Now, I would think that once people respect you they will in turn like you. Being polite and just having an overall great personality. What's not to like about that? Does that make sense? lol

Reactions: 1 user
I think everyone deserves respect, until they do something to lose that respect. I don't buy into the "respect is earned" because that really means you can treat people like crap until they do something you like or admire.

I just don't know that you can really respect someone without liking them. You don't have to be best friends with that person, but they has to be some connection there I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion is that it's better to be liked. If you're liked, people are more comfortable around you. On occasion, it makes you more vulnerable, but more often, it makes your engagements in everyday affairs more pleasant. I'd rather get to know people than have them "understand" me because they "respect me".

I think, to an extent, "people respect me" is an excuse for not being liked. If you're liked, the respect will come with it.

Respect has different meanings... obviously OSUkid is implying the slightly 'feared' flavor of respected.

In which case, I say it is better to be both respected and liked.

There. I broke the rules. I'm a rule breaker. Phear mah respect.

Reactions: 1 users
I think everyone deserves respect, until they do something to lose that respect. I don't buy into the "respect is earned" because that really means you can treat people like crap until they do something you like or admire.

I just don't know that you can really respect someone without liking them. You don't have to be best friends with that person, but they has to be some connection there I think.

The "respect is earned" comes from you treating everyone the way you want to be treated.
I think it goes both ways tbh. You cant really have one without the other right?

Also, I think the OP originally meant like if a new patient walks in, he/she does not know you. Therefore, they are not sure if they will like you or not. However, they are coming to you because they think that you can help them since you are a dentist. Hence, the initial respect?

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: 2 users
You should definitely watch A Bronx Tale if you've never seen it before

The "respect is earned" comes from you treating everyone the way you want to be treated.
I think it goes both ways tbh. You cant really have one without the other right?

Also, I think the OP originally meant like if a new patient walks in, he/she does not know you. Therefore, they are not sure if they will like you or not. However, they are coming to you because they think that you can help them since you are a dentist. Hence, the initial respect?

Yeah. The problem with questions like these is that everyone has a different definition of "respect."

To those who think you should respect everyone, "respect" means treating everyone kindly, the way you wish to be treated.
To those who think respect should be earned, "respect" means trusting someone's judgement/ opinion on a subject.

I am of the latter camp.

Yeah. The problem with questions like these is that everyone has a different definition of "respect."

To those who think you should respect everyone, "respect" means treating everyone kindly, the way you wish to be treated.
To those who think respect should be earned, "respect" means trusting someone's judgement/ opinion on a subject.

I am of the latter camp.

Right. Dentistry is a very respectable profession is it not? It would make sense that if a patient goes to you that means he/she respects the position and the contributions to society. Will he/she like you? Depends on the first and final impression (pun intended) lol

I don't think patients usually go to the dentist just to show their respect for the position. Usually it involves poor oral hygiene and the consumption of way too much soda. If a barber could fill a cavity, I'm sure people would pay him/her to do it. ;)

I guess it can go either way haha

I might like you if you're funny, but I won't respect you if you make your jokes at the expense of others.

I might offer respect to you if you're older than me or if you're in a position of trust or authority, but I won't like you if you only use your platform for your own benefit.

Perfect.