Is it necessary to line up a new job before quitting an old one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boombap

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I see that you're pre-pharm, so you probably shouldn't quit. Here's why: when you start pharmacy school, you, and 100+ other P1's will be looking for jobs near the school. If you're already with a chain, you will be given preference over a new hire. That said, it is also much easier to get a new job while you're already employed.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are only 1 year out of school then you probably have student loan debt... so this would be idiotic.

Maybe you've been working longer and just 1 year at this particular location? I hope this is the case...

Reactions: 1 user
If you're going to volunteer with Doctors Without Borders or some other health-care related charity, that would be fine in terms of resume material. The reason quitting without anything else lined up is a bad idea is that future employers may think you were fired. But like SCIENCE said, your student loans aren't going to wait while you're overseas...

I understand that the student loans must be paid and I'm currently sitting on top of a huge chunk of money, I'm trying to amass more. But I need some kind of ray of light because working 60 hours a week sometimes without a day off is not the lifestyle I had in mind for myself when I started school. I miss feeling like I have a purpose and I think if I go abroad and volunteer it would recharge me. And who knows maybe my employer will actually let me use all of this vacation time I've accrued for such a journey. But right now it looks like I'd have to quit to be able to have some of these experiences that I've always dreamed of.

So you go abroad for a year then what? Back to the same retail chain? Your solution is only temporary, at best. A permanent solution is to get out of retail but you need to have a job in order to get a job nowadays.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Yes, I'd like to get out of retail but I think I need a residency for that.

No, you don't. You need to network. There are still opportunities out there.

Last edited:
There's some openings at my mom's workplace but I'm not so sure I want to be working with her. Do you have any suggestions of good ways to network I'm kind of a shy person.

I know you didn't ask me, but I am trying to procrastinate studying for MPJE. LOL. :)

1.) Totally quit but do it nicely with ample notice (protect bridge). Life is short and you sound depressed. :( Don't worry about finding a new job, because you can! See #2 and #3. :)

2.) After you come back from your long vacay, you are gonna put on your resume that you had a once in a lifetime opportunity to save orphans or build homes or whatever... or you will work with your mom (because IT IS easier to find a job if you have a job).

Then...

3.) NETWORK!

So, I use to be super shy too. Like super, super shy!!! But the previous post is right, you need to network!! It is a necessary survival skill. First, you need to work on social skills and then using those skills to achieve an objective. So, strawberry's short cut networking tip just for you!!! :D

1.) Look good = confidence. People wanna talk to people that look good. Spend a little extra on a good suit and haircut. :)
2.) Figure out what job you want!
3.) Figure out who is in the job that you want... talk to acquaintance, classmates, etc... look for keywords when googling - HR, operations, etc... just don't cross into illegal cyber stalking!!! LOL. :)
4.) Figure out where they are gonna be and MAKE THE APPROACH!! ****Try on strangers that have nothing to do with your job first.**** Just go up to him/her, introduce yourself and start talking (build rapport). Don't ask anything too dumb though and don't be creepy. Keep it brief. After a few good exchanges, say something like, "I would really like to keep in contact with you. Do you have a card?" Don't get discourage if people say no. If they say no, say something casually like, "That's a shame. I hope we cross paths again." Don't get angry or sad or emotional at all!! OK? That is key! :)
5.) Keep notes on the person (date encountered, name, what they said, etc.) even if they don't give you their contact info!! Try getting one of those palm sized notebooks. Write it down because if you start collecting people there will be too many people to memorize all this info in your head. People hate to be forgotten and it stands out to memorize details. Don't write in front of them.. that's creepy. :) Then, find a good reason for second contact. "I remember our talk about blahblah and I just read blahblah.." This requires a lot of work and time!! Be prepare to invest!! :)
6.) Last step, get the door open... after a few solid exchanges, casually mention that you notice an job opening and if he/she would be able to tell you more about it/recommend you/tell you who to speak with...

And that is my shortcut networking tip for getting a job! :D It works for getting dates too.. FYI hehehehehehehehe

OK. Back to studying!!

Reactions: 1 users
strawberry606....you are one weird dude man.....you keep notes on people???....wtf

strawberry606....you are one weird dude man.....you keep notes on people???....wtf

Date: 7-13-15

Time: 1:42pm

Name: MikeJones123

Encounter notes: subject was highly impressed with my astute skills of documentation

Potential for dating relationship: highly likely, 97% probability

Exchanged contact info: no

Notes: called me a weird dude but in a lighthearted and jocular manner.

Relationship status: bromance initiated

Reactions: 6 users
Go for it. Some pharmacy experience and the additional overseas volunteer work will show very well when you get back. Your application will stand out. It may be a way into a hospital without a residency. Good luck and live life. If your student loans are federal you may be able to defer them for awhile.

First and most important, I am a girl!!! Omg! I am actually pretty girly in real life so please tell me what in my online persona screams "dude" !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :zombie:

Second, it's weird to keep notes on people? For reals? :confused:I mean, when it comes to networking, I view all people like tools... you never know when you will need them. That is why I collect a variety of people from mechanics, law enforcement, engineers, arms dealers... You know... Everything a GIRL could need. Hehehehe :)

Reactions: 1 users
You should probably try and work with your Mom for a bit and get that experience if possible. From there, you will at least have that experience and it would be easier to get a job else where in the hospital environment.

If I was the person doing the hiring and I saw someone worked a year and then took a year off to build houses in another country I would think:

1. Does this person even want to be a pharmacist if they just went to school for 6+ years and now are doing something else this quick?
2. This person doesn't have too much grit if they could only stand working for 1 year and then had to take time off because they couldn't handle it.
3. After a year off, how much knowledge did this person just lose because they weren't even using their skill

- it's good to see that you are caring and willing to volunteer. When it gets right down to it, as a person doing the hiring I would careless about you volunteering and all I would care about is how well you would be able to do the job at hand.

First and most important, I am a girl!!! Omg! I am actually pretty girly in real life so please tell me what in my online persona screams "dude" !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :zombie:

Second, it's weird to keep notes on people? For reals? :confused:I mean, when it comes to networking, I view all people like tools... you never know when you will need them. That is why I collect a variety of people from mechanics, law enforcement, engineers, arms dealers... You know... Everything a GIRL could need. Hehehehe :)

It's not weird at all. I do this too. I also collect a little drop of blood from each one of these people tools, put it on a slide, and keep them all in a box. That box is my most prized possession for networking.

Reactions: 2 users
It's not weird at all. I do this too. I also collect a little drop of blood from each one of these people tools, put it on a slide, and keep them all in a box. That box is my most prized possession for networking.

lol... OK! It's weird. Bad advice! But the other stuff is good, right? I hate to think I gave bad advice! The guy has enough problems! Haha :)

Retail is 70% of the job market so what exactly were you thinking when you invested 100k+ and 4 years in pharmacy school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Retail is 70% of the job market so what exactly were you thinking when you invested 100k+ and 4 years in pharmacy school?

Come on man....all the guy wants is a clinical position where he rounds with doctors and makes life-saving recommendations that are taken by the team, not some lousy "hybrid" basement dwelling human script scanner job. /s