PhD/PsyD Is it ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi, I am 33 years old and I will be starting a PsyD program from this fall. I am so glad that finally I found the field that I am very interested in (I've had a job that was not directly related to clinical psychology), but at the same time, I'm not sure if I will be still competitive by the time I get my doctorate. I'll be almost 40, even after finishing up my PsyD program in 5 years and post-doc. Do you think age really doesn't matter to work in hospitals? I am worrying this because in my 40's, I will have almost zero years of practice experience (because I just got out of school and post-doc) whereas other people will have almost 10 years of experience by that time. Any thoughts and suggestions? Is this going to be a uphill battle? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I've supervised a decent share of students (prac, intern, postdoc) older than myself. So, it's not a wholly uncommon thing. I think your program reputation and training experiences will matter much more than your age when it comes to opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is actually an advantage in many clinical settings. People like to see a psychologist with "life experience."

Well, in PP, likely.

I look like I'm probably 25. When people see my doctoral diploma, a wedding band, and family photo on my desk, its been a conversation piece more than a few times. And even if not in a good way, it usuallt is an inroad to rapport.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think your age is a disadvantage and in many work settings it probably won't be noticed much. I currently work in a prison and of the newly hired fresh out of school/post doc psychologists about half are 40+. As long as they're doing their job correctly no one cares. None of them seem to take issue with a younger supervisor either. So if you think being older will make you less competitive or stand out in a not so good way then that is what will happen. Focus on getting the best training during your program, network, and build a stellar CV and it won't matter.

Wow thank you so much for your replies. These are definitely a precious encouragement. Really appreciate it.

I expect to be 34 when I start grad school. I'm not too worried about it. Even though I know I've lost out on lifetime income earnings, I wouldn't trade my prior life experiences for an earlier start.

Well, in PP, likely.

I look like I'm probably 25. When people see my doctoral diploma, a wedding band, and family photo on my desk, its been a conversation piece more than a few times. And even if not in a good way, it usuallt is an inroad to rapport.

Me too!!! My clients think I am younger than what I really am.

I was mistaken for a HS student on multiple occasions during my last practicum.

I'm 28 and have a full beard.

Maybe that was just a commentary on your skill level?

jk :p

Maybe that was just a commentary on your skill level?

jk :p

Thankfully this never happened in any actual meetings with school staff, usually just when introducing myself when coming in for an observation or to pull a student for testing ("Hi I'm such and such, I'm here to do thing x." - "Oh, I assumed you were a student!"). Some of my particularly young (e.g. straight out of undergrad) classmates told me they had been sternly asked about hall passes by angry looking teachers, so it could have been worse. Though it's not about a psychologist, my favorite story was a teacher acquaintance who accrued multiple detentions for being outside of class without a hall pass before the person issuing them realized they were, in fact, a new faculty member and not a student roaming the halls without permission. I also knew a (very short) undergraduate intern at the middle school in my district who was occasionally mistaken for a student.

I was a young student (PhD at 27) but knew plenty of older students. I like working with older students as a supervisor because there is often more basic maturity and insight, but if you are competent your age doesn't really matter, IMO.

I encourage students to go live life for a few years, learn about working "a real job" and grow up/mature. I don't mean that in a bad way, but the world after college is MUCH different than the world in college and before. I had a short but eventful career before I went back to school and it prepared me to deal with office politics, it taught me how to better get by in a world that doesn't cater to me (like in college), and it gave me an appreciation for having/making time to learn.

I encourage students to go live life for a few years, learn about working "a real job" and grow up/mature. I don't mean that in a bad way, but the world after college is MUCH different than the world in college and before. I had a short but eventful career before I went back to school and it prepared me to deal with office politics, it taught me how to better get by in a world that doesn't cater to me (like in college), and it gave me an appreciation for having/making time to learn.
I especially like what you said about learning to get by in a world that doesn't cater to you. In retrospect, college was a breeze and the whole system was accommodating to individual student needs and desires. The working world...not so much. Especially the military! I've recently gone back to undergraduate school to pick up pre-reqs for grad school, and I sometimes catch myself thinking, "I hope these kids realize this isn't how the world really works!" in regard to certain aspects of the program. But maybe learning that on your own is just part of the process.

Reactions: 1 users