Is it okay to take the MCAT and do well if..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaBeta<3

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have only a semester of orgo, a year of bio, a year of chem, a semester of sociology and psychology? So this would basically be excluding orgo 2 and a year of physics, and biochem

Is biochem generally a semester long? If that's the case, I could try to just take it this summer.

This is in addition to MCAT prep courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably no. I would recommend taking upper level biology (cell biology, biochemistry, etc.) courses since they normally give more exposure to experimental stuff which is becoming more important each time.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't think I can just learn the MCAT-based physics questions through self studying and prep courses? have you taken the new MCAT?

You could learn it...but the thing is the MCAT prep stuff only teaches it in a very "cookie cutter" way, and they assume you already know what they're talking about. Without having exposure to the material, and practicing via homework and labs and stuff, it will just seem like a bunch of math and it will fly over your head.

I took the MCAT without taking a physics or general chemistry course in three years. You can self study on that end. Plus there is a severe lack of physics on the current MCAT.
I would however recommend a semester of biochemistry and some upper division biology courses. MCAT really emphasizes biochemistry and experimental passages. I got a 516. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I took the MCAT without taking a physics or general chemistry course in three years. You can self study on that end. Plus there is a severe lack of physics on the current MCAT.
I would however recommend a semester of biochemistry and some upper division biology courses. MCAT really emphasizes biochemistry and experimental passages. I got a 516. Hope that helps!
Is it sufficient if I only take 1 semester biochem?

I'm in a similar situation, what books did you use to help you prepare for those sections (physics, general chemistry)?

I'm in a similar situation, what books did you use to help you prepare for those sections (physics, general chemistry)?
For physics and general chemistry, I used the Princeton Review books. I also had the science workbook from TPR. Very helpful.

Is it sufficient if I only take 1 semester biochem?
I took a quarter of biochemistry (quarter system). It went over glycolysis, krebs cycle, and oxidative phosphorylation processes. Also it went over amino acids, enzymes, MM kinetics, and pI stuff. I also took another quarter of biochemistry before I took the MCAT. This one went over fatty acid oxidation, pentose phosphate pathway, and other metabolic processes for proteins, fats, carbohydrates. I would say if you got that first biochemistry class, then you should be fine. Biochemistry really isn't that bad. Don't stress over it.