Is it over for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eliot Reinhart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently a sophomore majoring in psychology at a top 20 UG with a 2.98 GPA.

I have been thinking of getting an MD for a while and applying to med schools, but because of my mediocre GPA I am really starting to lose confidence (with good reason)
I took Gen Chem I and Bio I in my freshman year fall sem and got Cs on both. I took Physics I last sem (sophomore fall) and got a C- which can pretty much explain why I have such a low GPA. Right now I am taking Bio II and Gen Chem II and prob going to get an A-/B+ for Bio and B-/C+ for Chem.

I've heard that as long as you show mastery of upper level science courses like Orgo, Human Phys., Biochem, your GPA makes it to about 3.5-3.6 AND you get a superb MCAT score (which I would guess is 36 or above) you have a chance at top-20 tier med schools. Is this true?

I have also been considering of retaking the core req i have done horrible in. Any suggestions?

The way I am looking at myself in this whole med school preparation process is that I have no problems in the extracurricular area, but I can't say the same for my GPA.

Do I still have any chance at top tier schools or am I doomed?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to be thinking about how you can get yourself into A medical school!! It really doesn't matter where you go providing it is an allopathic US med school. And you heard wrong, a 3.5-3.6 doesn't get you into top 20 med schools--regardless of MCAT. You will need a 3.8+ and superb MCAT (35+) to have a legitimate shot at top 20 programs. I find it disturbing that you are struggling to stay afloat (sub 3.0) and are worried about getting into top programs. Start getting 3.7+'s and your good for some med school, don't worry about top 20's. If you are struggling the way you are in the pre-reqs don't automatically assume you will break 36+ on MCAT, it is improbable. Start studying, and studying hard! You still have plenty of time to save yourself and make it to med school. But avoid the top 20 discussion when your below a 3.0--this will just get you flamed. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I am currently a sophomore majoring in psychology at a top 20 UG with a 2.98 GPA.

I have been thinking of getting an MD for a while and applying to med schools, but because of my mediocre GPA I am really starting to lose confidence (with good reason)
I took Gen Chem I and Bio I in my freshman year fall sem and got Cs on both. I took Physics I last sem (sophomore fall) and got a C- which can pretty much explain why I have such a low GPA. Right now I am taking Bio II and Gen Chem II and prob going to get an A-/B+ for Bio and B-/C+ for Chem.

I've heard that as long as you show mastery of upper level science courses like Orgo, Human Phys., Biochem, your GPA makes it to about 3.5-3.6 AND you get a superb MCAT score (which I would guess is 36 or above) you have a chance at top-20 tier med schools. Is this true?

I have also been considering of retaking the core req i have done horrible in. Any suggestions?

The way I am looking at myself in this whole med school preparation process is that I have no problems in the extracurricular area, but I can't say the same for my GPA.

With half of your credits behind you (and a sub-3.0) you will have a long road ahead of you to get into any mainland MD school. Even if you get an A in every single class for the next two years, you'll be just reaching competitiveness (3.5ish) You may have some chance if you can pull that up to a 3.3+ and get a 33+ on the MCAT.

My advice: start looking at DO schools and take a couple targeted re-takes to boost you up. Don't give up on MD... but know that is a difficult path from where you are now. If you can ace your last few years (unlikely, considering your current grades) you may be okay.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For the top tiers, think more of a GPA of 3.7 and higher. You need to ace everything from now on, but you're going to have to fix your deficits first. Seek out your school's learning center for help in learning styles.

There are schools that value reinvention in the form of rising GPA trends. DO schools cut you even more slack with grade replacement.

Hi guys,

I see 2 routes for the next few years of your life:

1. If you want an MD based on the credentials/chasing a specialty that is not DO friendly:
- Ace everything from here on out (as @Goro said).
- Do well on the MCAT
- and unfortunately you still might not get in because of a GPA that isn't high enough, so you'll need a post bacc or just a year off to take some upper level science

2. If you want a DO degree:
- improve grades to ~3.5GPA
- do well on the mcat (you don't need to knock it out of the park)
- hopefully a few IIs will turn into acceptances

I see 2 routes for the next few years of your life:

1. If you want an MD based on the credentials/chasing a specialty that is not DO friendly:
- Ace everything from here on out (as @Goro said).
- Do well on the MCAT
- and unfortunately you still might not get in because of a GPA that isn't high enough, so you'll need a post bacc or just a year off to take some upper level science

2. If you want a DO degree:
- improve grades to ~3.5GPA
- do well on the mcat (you don't need to knock it out of the park)
- hopefully a few IIs will turn into acceptances
Alternatively, if you knock the MCAT out of the park, you really only need to get up to a 3.2-3.3 for DO (not difficult with a few re-takes).

However, judging from the OP, I assume that this is deviating a bit far from your "top 20 MD schools" goal.

I am full aware that with my current gpa, it is ridiculous how I talked about top 20 schools when I am clearly in danger of not even getting into a med school. If I offended anyone by that comment, I apologize, I did not, by any means, try to make light of all of your hard work.

Correct me if I am wrong, gpa and MCAT scores are primarily to avoid getting screened out in the first part of the application process and to be requested for supplementary info right? Someone once explained to me that the admission committee will often look at gpa and MCAT as a method to "cut-off" and screen out most of the applicants. According to this person, sometimes they will make exceptions for those "cut-offs" and request supplementary info from an applicant whose gpa and MCAT might be sub-average. Is this true?

I do not mean to use this as an excuse to slack off, I would just want a confirmation of this statement. Also if there is anyone out here that actually did achieve this, would you mind telling me your "story"?

Again I apologize if I am offending someone and it seems I am making light of all this process.

Correct me if I am wrong, gpa and MCAT scores are primarily to avoid getting screened out in the first part of the application process and to be requested for supplementary info right? Someone once explained to me that the admission committee will often look at gpa and MCAT as a method to "cut-off" and screen out most of the applicants. According to this person, sometimes they will make exceptions for those "cut-offs" and request supplementary info from an applicant whose gpa and MCAT might be sub-average. Is this true?
Automatic MCAT/gpa screens eliminate only the most marginal candidates. You will be stratified and compared to other applicants with similar scores. If you do not have the combination of personal qualities and stats that a particular school is looking for, you will not receive an interview.

Reactions: 1 user