Is it possible finish pre-requisites in 12 months.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmeha005

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

As I am striving for med school with no science background, I would like to know if it will be possible to complete my prerequisites in 12 months..

Since Im working full time and shadowing I'm hoping to take two classes per semester ( summer2015, fall2015, spring2016, summer2016) So, starting my pre-reqs in June of 2015 and taking MCAT August 2016 for fall 2017 Admission.

Is this realistic??? Please Advise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

It might be possible, but probably not if you need everything and are limited to two classes a semester.

If your school is like mine then I would do something like:

Summer 15 - Gen Chem 1, gen Chem 2
Fall 15 - Bio 1, Orgo 1
Spring 16 - Bio 2, Orgo 2
Summer 16 - Physics 1, Physics 2

You are still missing math (if you need it) and biochem.

You would also be taking the MCAT super late to apply that Summer. You would be complete in September when many schools already are getting their first round of acceptances ready.

It would be better (if limited to 2 courses a semester):

Summer 15 - Gen Chem 1, gen Chem 2
Fall 15 - Bio 1, Orgo 1
Spring 16 - Bio 2, Orgo 2
Summer 16 - Physics 1, Physics 2
Fall 16 - Math, Biochem, or any other elective; genetics, micro, etc.
Spring 17 - Study for MCAT and take it in May or somewhere near there

Apply June 1 2017 for 2018 matriculation.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I didn't realize I needed org 2 and physics 2 for MCAT. That's probably why I thought it was possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both. If that makes sense. If I'm able to start my medical school career soon, great! If it's not possible to do it within the time frame I had hoped for, one or 2 additional years will not make a big difference.

I almost did it. I got all my pre-reqs but Org 2 done within 1 calendar year via a community college DIY post-bacc. I did very well on the MCAT even without having PHYS 2 or Org 2 done when I took it. So, it CAN be done.

I was also accepted without having completed Org 2. I just have to finish it by matriculation. As long as most of your pre-reqs are done by the time you apply, you can usually keep working on the one(s) you are missing while the application process is dragging on.

Thank you that gives me hope. I will certainly try to finish it within one calendar year but if it rolls over past that I will be okay with that.

Have you had previous science courses? And how many classes per semester did you take?

I almost did it. I got all my pre-reqs but Org 2 done within 1 calendar year via a community college DIY post-bacc. I did very well on the MCAT even without having PHYS 2 or Org 2 done when I took it. So, it CAN be done.

I was also accepted without having completed Org 2. I just have to finish it by matriculation. As long as most of your pre-reqs are done by the time you apply, you can usually keep working on the one(s) you are missing while the application process is dragging on.

Thank you! that gives me hope. I will certainly try to finish it within one calendar year but if it rolls over past that I will be okay with that as well.

Have you had previous science courses? And how many classes per semester did you take?

I'd previously completed a degree which required upper level science courses, but not the basics. So, while I had taken A&P, Micro, and biochem, I'd never taken basic biology, inorganic chem, organic chem, or physics... not since high school, if then. The community college wouldn't allow me to just take the classes, I wanted, though. They had a rule that if you hadn't been in school in the previous 5 years, that you had to start with remedial science courses. I wasn't interested in following that rule. So, I took the CLEP exams for chemistry and biology, effectively testing out of those classes. Except that you can't test out of lab requirements, so I still had to take the classes. In other words, I tested out of the courses in order to get the school to permit me to take them.

I took Bio 1, Chem 1, Physics 1 in the Fall, for 12 credits. Spring, I took Chem 2, Bio 2, and Physics 2. Summer, I took Org 1. While I was at it, I figured that I might as well get an A.S. degree out of it, so I took another several CLEP exams and a couple extra nonscience courses, so that I ended up with a 60+ credit degree in under 1 year. I ought to have been able to take Org 1 in the spring, but the class filled too quickly.

I highly recommend online resources for learning important concepts for these courses. The Crash Course Chemistry/Biology/etc series on youtube, by the vlogbrothers John and Hank Green are very enjoyable, and helpful for cramming a lot of basic science into your head very quickly. Also, Khan academy, etc. There are so many free resources out there that weren't around back in the dark ages when I first went to school.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your response it is certainly helpful.

I'm currently taking free courses through Coursera to prepare me for chemistry and bio classes. I will also explore the ones you have recommended. I'm hoping it will serve as a catalyst for my success in the pre-reqs classes I will be taking and the overall journey to Medical School.

I'd previously completed a degree which required upper level science courses, but not the basics. So, while I had taken A&P, Micro, and biochem, I'd never taken basic biology, inorganic chem, organic chem, or physics... not since high school, if then. The community college wouldn't allow me to just take the classes, I wanted, though. They had a rule that if you hadn't been in school in the previous 5 years, that you had to start with remedial science courses. I wasn't interested in following that rule. So, I took the CLEP exams for chemistry and biology, effectively testing out of those classes. Except that you can't test out of lab requirements, so I still had to take the classes. In other words, I tested out of the courses in order to get the school to permit me to take them.

I took Bio 1, Chem 1, Physics 1 in the Fall, for 12 credits. Spring, I took Chem 2, Bio 2, and Physics 2. Summer, I took Org 1. While I was at it, I figured that I might as well get an A.S. degree out of it, so I took another several CLEP exams and a couple extra nonscience courses, so that I ended up with a 60+ credit degree in under 1 year. I ought to have been able to take Org 1 in the spring, but the class filled too quickly.

I highly recommend online resources for learning important concepts for these courses. The Crash Course Chemistry/Biology/etc series on youtube, by the vlogbrothers John and Hank Green are very enjoyable, and helpful for cramming a lot of basic science into your head very quickly. Also, Khan academy, etc. There are so many free resources out there that weren't around back in the dark ages when I first went to school.

Thank you so much for your response it is certainly helpful.

I'm currently taking free courses through Coursera to prepare me for chemistry and bio classes. I will also explore the ones you have recommended. I'm hoping it will serve as a catalyst for my success in the pre-reqs classes I will be taking and the overall journey to Medical School.

Back in 2008 I was asking myself the same question. I started my prereqs in Spring 2009 and applied in June 2010. I also worked full time during the day (which it seems like you will also be doing). I took gen chem 1 in spring just to test the waters, because it had been quite some time since I'd been in a science classroom. After getting an A I felt more confident. I took Bio I/Bio 2 during that summer. The next 2 semesters were Orgo 1/Physics 1 w/calc / Calc 2, and Orgo 2/Physics 2 w/calc / Calc 3, all taken as night classes. I finished all that the May before I applied. Back in my day we didn't have to take biochem ;)

I was in a hurry because best case scenario (practically killing myself with classes), I'd be entering med school at 28, and I was terrified of getting too old for med school (that's a stupid fear, btw...at that young age, at least). It all worked out for me in the end. I was able to end all my premed with all As except for 2 Bs, but I crammed everything in way too much and my MCAT score suffered for it, not to mention my sanity at the time.

Wow! Yes, your story is very similar to mine. I'm also worried about starting at a later age. I'm 26 now will be 27 in a few days. I was hoping to get in by 29. So I'm planning to take 2 classes this summer depending on how I feel I might do 3 classes in the fall and spring .

Wow! Yes, your story is very similar to mine. I'm also worried about starting at a later age. I'm 26 now will be 27 in a few days. I was hoping to get in by 29. So I'm planning to take 2 classes this summer depending on how I feel I might do 3 classes in the fall and spring .

Just keep in mind as you go through, that grades are paramount to speed. There are plenty of people in my MD class that entered in their 30s. If you rush too much and grades suffer, you will have a much much harder time getting in, if at all. Also, please refer to my MCAT suffering. It was a stupid choice for me to do things so quickly, and I just got ridiculously lucky that the school I'm in looked past not only my poor MCAT score but the fact that my 1st year grades were so bad that it took practically two bachelor's worth of A courses to grade repair up to a 3.1 sgpa.

You're right! Thanks you so much! I know one or two years will not be a huge difference and I'm trying to remind myself that!

I hope that if you're working full-time that they are accommodating and/or flexible (especially since the science classes + lab can be incredibly long and time-consuming). That was my biggest struggle with taking classes and working full-time. I took 2 required classes each semester over 1.5 years (currently taking electives) but I did have 3 courses I took during under grad several years ago (bad idea with the 'series' courses). Good luck! =)

I hope that if you're working full-time that they are accommodating and/or flexible (especially since the science classes + lab can be incredibly long and time-consuming). That was my biggest struggle with taking classes and working full-time. I took 2 required classes each semester over 1.5 years (currently taking electives) but I did have 3 courses I took during under grad several years ago (bad idea with the 'series' courses). Good luck! =)

My work I pretty flexible. They'll pay for my classes ( thank God since I will be adding 100's of thousands in debt once in named School) and they are easy going when it comes to continuing education. But with science classes it requires a lot of studying so I'm praying it all goes well!:)

Taking all pre-reqs from scratch in 12 months is definitely possible with good planning, time, effort, and availability. However, not all schools can let you do that. Most people won't have to time or ability to make that effort (if its' really every single prereq including math and english).

However, before thinking about that, think about how well you would do. Grades and actually learning the core material is the most important part. If you need to spread it out for better grades then do so. A year of better prep is much better then making a mistake and sinking your application ship before you can even set sail. If the material and time is no problem, then do it.

This isn't a race. What's "possible" and what's smart are often not the same. If it takes an extra year to end up acing things, that pays much greater dividends then getting through faster but not unscathed. Do it right even if it costs a year. Using up another year is worth it if it sets you up for success for the next 40.