Is it possible to get into med school with social anxiety?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mylifesucks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished up my sophomore year of undergrad, and my grades are good (3.84 biochemistry). I've never gotten below an A- in any of my science classes, which I guess I'm proud of. However, I have no extracurriculars at all and I just spend my summers browsing the internet, watching TV, and feeling depressed that I'm wasting away my life, while all of my peers are out working and getting experience. I got a 4.0 GPA this semester, but just one week after college ended and I already feel like s***, like I'm disappointing my parents and wasting my time. I wish I could be building my resume and interacting with friends. I applied to volunteer at my local hospital, but I was so awkward in my interview and they said they didn't need me. I don't even know how I'll be able to do shadowing. It seems everyone on here has tons of extracurriculars along with good GPA's and MCAT's, and even they have trouble getting accepted. Without extracurriculars and with poor social skills, I know I don't stand a chance.

And yes, I have been seeing a psychiatrist and am taking anxiety and depression pills, but I'm still having the same problems.

I honestly don't know what to do with my life. I don't really want to be a doctor, but I don't want to do anything else either, and doctors make good money. Plus, I'm already this far in. I'm always the weird person in the group and I've always been judged since middle school. I just want to make good money and be respected so that maybe I can start living like a normal person.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't know what to do with my life. I don't really want to be a doctor, but I don't want to do anything else either, and doctors make good money. Plus, I'm already this far in. I'm always the weird person in the group and I've always been judged since middle school. I just want to make good money and be respected so that maybe I can start living like a normal person.

Do. Not. Go. To. Medical. School.

Reactions: 5 users
I would encourage getting a job that works with the public. This way, you have to force yourself to talk to people. Before I got my first job in the hospital, I could not hold a conversation with a stranger at all. I just slowly got better at it because I was forced to interact with people. It was uncomfortable at first but once you get over the fact that most people are pretty awkward/bad at conversation as well, it's not so bad. Bonus points if you end up taking a liking to helping people out.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP is a sophomore. Yes, there are things they need to work on. I would definitely not phrase it as you did though.

He/she literally said they don't want to be a doctor.

OP- Seriously. You are your own worst judge. I really doubt you didn't get the spot because you're awkward. Keep trying. You need to find your -ness. It sounds like you've never experienced what medicine actually is. You have to. Maybe it's not for you. So what? When you find your stride you'll laugh and look back and just shake your head. For me that was medicine. For you maybe it's.... I don't know aviation. Go get a job as a scribe. You'll find out if you like it.

Reactions: 1 users
You sound really depressed, like you don't care about anything and like nothing matters because nothing really does right? And that's probably why you can't bring yourself to connect with people, which is probably why you get perceived or perceive yourself as awkward. I don't know what to tell you man, a fun idea would be to join club sports or clubs on campus, just random ones, and make some friends.

And this won't be a popular opinion here but honestly science seems to come easily to you, and you're right doctors do make good money, so maybe setting up medical school as a goal for yourself could give you something to "live" for, so to speak. Working hard and getting all those As has to feel good right? I'd keep working with your doctor too, best of luck man.

Also, fake it till you become it. You can just go out there and act like you aren't anxious, act like you're so comfortable with everyone around you, and act like you have zero insecurities, and eventually you may start believing it yourself.

One more thing, I don't know what your experience with alcohol has been, but in responsible amounts it's a great social lubricant for otherwise intimidating parties.

OP- Seriously. You are your own worst judge. I really doubt you didn't get the spot because you're awkward. Keep trying. You need to find your -ness. It sounds like you've never experienced what medicine actually is. You have to. Maybe it's not for you. So what? When you find your stride you'll laugh and look back and just shake your head. For me that was medicine. For you maybe it's.... I don't know aviation. Go get a job as a scribe. You'll find out if you like it.

Second part of your post is what I was aiming at :) How does OP know if they wanna be a doctor with no idea of what it's like? Gotta start somewhere.

You're an adult now. You don't get to play the pity card anymore. With that said, check out medicine if it seems like something you might want to do - call up an FP or hospital and ask if you can shadow. The worst that can happen is you're not that into it. You'll be socially awkward until you get to know the people you're interacting with. That's how it works for a lot of people - you're not special, and there's not some conspiracy to single you out as a strange person. Everyone "judges" everyone, in one way or another; you've got to get over that simple fact and not take things too personally. Also, stop obsessing over yourself; look outward. You'll find that when you concern yourself with finding a solution to a problem, or helping someone, or just generally interacting with your environment, you don't even have time to dwell on these thoughts, which are entirely unproductive and wasteful.

Reactions: 1 user
You're an adult now. You don't get to play the pity card anymore. With that said, check out medicine if it seems like something you might want to do - call up an FP or hospital and ask if you can shadow. The worst that can happen is you're not that into it. You'll be socially awkward until you get to know the people you're interacting with. That's how it works for a lot of people - you're not special, and there's not some conspiracy to single you out as a strange person. Everyone "judges" everyone, in one way or another; you've got to get over that simple fact and not take things too personally. Also, stop obsessing over yourself; look outward. You'll find that when you concern yourself with finding a solution to a problem, or helping someone, or just generally interacting with your environment, you don't even have time to dwell on these thoughts, which are entirely unproductive and wasteful.

There's a distinct difference between "playing the pity card" and having a mental illness.

Reactions: 5 users
There's a distinct difference between "playing the pity card" and having a mental illness.

This isn't worth arguing over. I don't know OP's details, but the fact remains: no one is going to "do life" for him/her, despite any minor mental illness he/she may have (let us define "minor" as any mental illness that isn't causing the OP any direct, physical harm and/or isn't significantly affecting academic/career performance). I'm not even presenting an opinion here; harp on mental issues as much as you feel is necessary - that's entirely your business. I'm simply saying it's only practical to do something that will put food in your mouth for survival purposes - at the very least. It's not as if OP's mental problems are detracting from his/her performance, so he/she is more than capable of taking on significantly challenging work. It seems, therefore, that the OP has the potential to become a doctor, if OP really wants to. But OP doesn't know what OP wants to do. I'm saying if OP is to do anything, OP needs to understand that letting these feelings (which are, by the way, quite common - depression, social anxiety, a lack of direction/purpose, etc.) overtake him/her is not conducive to carrying out any goal that he/she may have. Is that fair enough?

This isn't worth arguing over. I don't know OP's details, but the fact remains: no one is going to "do life" for him/her, despite any minor mental illness he/she may have (let us define "minor" as any mental illness that isn't causing the OP any direct, physical harm and/or isn't significantly affecting academic/career performance). I'm not even presenting an opinion here; harp on mental issues as much as you feel is necessary - that's entirely your business. I'm simply saying it's only practical to do something that will put food in your mouth for survival purposes - at the very least. It's not as if OP's mental problems are detracting from his/her performance, so he/she is more than capable of taking on significantly challenging work. It seems, therefore, that the OP has the potential to become a doctor, if OP really wants to. But OP doesn't know what OP wants to do. I'm saying if OP is to do anything, OP needs to understand that letting these feelings (which are, by the way, quite common - depression, social anxiety, a lack of direction/purpose, etc.) overtake him/her is not conducive to carrying out any goal that he/she may have. Is that fair enough?

Yes, you're right, it would be great for OP to overcome his current mentality. It would be fantastic if there was a switch he could pull and all of a sudden be able to see the world in a different way. However, just as such a switch does not exist for the purposes of, eg, destroying a tumor, or fixing a broken arm, or fixing chronic hypertension, so too does such a switch not exist for mental illness. Sure, everyone gets sad, but that's not what clinical depression is. His 3.8 is not evidence of mental health, just evidence that he can preform academically while depressed. I mean everything besides that number is him describing an outlook on life that seems like torture. He's being treated for a mental illness; he's not "letting" feelings overcome him, just like an AIDS patient doesn't "allow" their T cells to die out. People can seem fine on the outside, or academically, but be incredibly depressed on the inside.

I do understand that you're trying to help him, and I think you're right that a positive outlook is part of what he needs, but just telling him to "cheer up" isn't the way to get there. Feelings are chemicals, susceptible to natural forces just like any other chemicals.

... I don't really want to be a doctor, but I don't want to do anything else either, and doctors make good money...

Just stop. Everything else in your post is irrelevant. you don't want to be a Doctor so absolutely don't. put it out of your mind. Don't go down a route you aren't interested in because you think they make good money. In medicine you will run up your student debt well into the six figures, and not have a decent paying job for at least another decade. So doing it for the money is simply *****ic. There are ways to make money earlier in many paths. The goal is to find a career you will enjoy. If you don't enjoy medicine you'll be miserable because it's a career you'd be devoting the bulk of your awake life to. You cant live life alwys dreading the morning larm clock. You won't find solace in someday having a nice retirement nest egg if you are miserable on the wards most nights throughout your twenties.

The social anxiety bit here is irrelevant -- yes it absolutely would be a problem in medicine -- but I think we never even need to get to that question because frankly you have no interest in medicine (beyond the imagined salary).

Reactions: 4 users

Poor timing on the aviation suggestion...

OP- Social skills come with two things: time and repeated failure/adaptation. The anxiety will always be there post conversation kicking you for what you should have said or how you came off, but you'll care less about each individual one when the volume of interactions increases.

The best reason of all not to be a doctor -- Plus, from what you've written about yourself, I don't think being a physician is likely to improve your happiness. It's a very people-intensive profession, so not a great fit for someone with social anxiety. What about tech? Or research? Lots of high-paying spots for bright people. Interesting work. More tolerance for social awkwardness.

Also, have you been screened for Asperger's Syndrome? (I know it's not in the DSM anymore, but the condition still exists, even if they now call it ASD)

For this summer, DO force yourself to get involved in something. SO your local hospital didn't need volunteers. Bet your local nursing home could sure use some. Or Meals on Wheels. Or Hospice. Or food bank. Lots of options to get you outside of your head.

I don't really want to be a doctor, but I don't want to do anything else either, and doctors make good money. I just want to make good money and be respected so that maybe I can start living like a normal person.
Don't go to medical school. It isn't something you can just "suck up" and deal with. It is a horrible process, and will send your anxiety levels to 11 to boot. Going into medicine for the wrong reasons (money, not disappointing your parents, respect) with a history of mental health issues is a recipe for depression, failure, and potentially worse down the road. No amount of money and prestige is worth what we go through- you have to be in it because it's what you actually want and will enjoy doing for the rest of your life to some degree, or you'll end up like one of the posters here who have dropped out of medical school because the light at the end of the tunnel just wasn't bright enough for them to stay focused for the extended period of training they had to endure. Or worse yet, you'll end up like one of the two classes worth of medical students and residents that commit suicide every year, often people that are so invested in a career they despise and pushed to the limits of their sanity that they can take no more and choose the only way out that they can see.

Go be an engineer or something, save yourself some pain.

One key thing you're missing is that stressful situations can turn a minor mental illness into a crippling one. Mental illness isn't static, it ebbs and flows with your life situation, changes in coping skills, the balance of your medications, and variations in your support systems. Medical school tends to put people under extreme levels of stress, in a strange new environment, surrounded by a new culture and new people, strips them of their support systems, and puts them in situations for which they have not yet developed coping skills with which to handle. Couple that perfect storm with a person that doesn't even want to be a doctor and has anxiety when dealing with people, and you're looking at a strong potential for severe trouble down the road, both academically and mentally.

Have you considered tutoring? Teaching someone puts you in a position of authority where you have to talk extensively to explain things, but because it's about some topic you're familiar with and not small talk, it's much easier IMO. And you can make some money in the process. Whoever you work with will mostly only judge you for how well you know the material, which will be your strength. It's a good skill to work on no matter which career you end up choosing in the future.

such a switch not exist for mental illness

I'm saying we can't argue this. Neither of us knows for sure, definitively, and we certainly don't know the particular case of this individual. What I'm saying is that no one is going to pity an adult that isn't suffering from a seriously debilitating disease (physical health intact and not deteriorating, can perform well in school/job), and therefore it is in OP's best interest to find a way, whatever way he/she can (through whatever methods necessary - physical, mental, [legally] chemical, whatever), to overcome this while doing what is necessary in the mean time.

His 3.8 is not evidence of mental health, just evidence that he can preform academically while depressed.

We both agree that a psych would define the OP as not being mentally healthy (see below). As far as myself, I don't know - the concept is too abstract and the data isn't solid. I can't say anything about any of this.

The essential feature of persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia) is a depressed mood that occurs for most of the day, for more days than not, for at least 2 years (at least 1 year for children and adolescents).

Essentially, if you are sad for more than half the time that you are aware of your feelings (which might not even be close to half the time you are actually awake and doing things), you are depressed. That feeling also has to occur for most (i.e. greater than half) of the day. So essentially, if you're sad, e.g., maybe 2-3 hours out of every day, you could easily fit this criteria. Further info below.

Individuals with persistent depressive disorder describe their mood as sad or “down in the dumps.” During periods of depressed mood, at least two of the following six symptoms from are present.
  • Poor appetite or overeating
  • Insomnia or hypersomnia
  • Low energy or fatigue
  • Low self-esteem
  • Poor concentration or difficulty making decisions
  • Feelings of hopelessness
ref: http://psychcentral.com/disorders/dysthymic-disorder-symptoms/

OP has low self-esteem and feelings of hopelessness. Without even knowing OP's sleeping and eating habits, one can deduce OP has clinical depression. No one is arguing that point; it can't be argued, as clinical depression is simply defined how it has been defined. (Note I am assuming here that the OP has these feelings for the majority of the time that he/she is aware of his/her feelings; an extrapolation I'm not really sure about, actually).

He's being treated for a mental illness; he's not "letting" feelings overcome him

If you'll allow me to be facetious by purposely misunderstanding you, let me say that I agree. OP is doing fine on paper - nothing actually has overcome OP. As far as personal mental suffering goes, that is a personal issue. I'm saying the OP doesn't have to let this mental illness hinder OP's performance or goals, which OP has already shown to be true through academic performance. I'm stating to OP what OP him/herself has already proven, so that OP understands the position he/she is in. Often times, people don't understand how capable they are. OP came here seeking advice - that was mine. Now, of course, I think we all agree that medicine needs to be an actual, serious goal before OP really pursues it - hence why everyone, including myself, has recommended OP get a taste of medicine by shadowing or getting a clinical job.

But to approach that comment seriously, again: it's not something that can be argued without more information. We have very little; not enough to make an informed decision. I hope you didn't think I was trying to definitively tell the OP that they aren't hindered by this issue. I was aiming to operate within the parameters we were given - that is, the discussion was about whether or not OP should become a doctor. I hoped to alleviate some of OP's concerns by telling OP that a lot of the feelings OP has are quite common and are consistently haunting many students and would-be doctors. As you said yourself, outward appearances indicate nothing about mental health. Those others, though OP may see them as "normal," are actually constantly struggling with their own mental illnesses (as they are defined by the dsm v). Most don't take the time to talk about them, though, or get professional help,as the reference I cited states, because it simply becomes status quo and they learn to live without consistent mental comfort. Whether or not this should be a state of normalcy, or whether it should be acceptable, would be an unending debate - one is at liberty to make a decision either way and act accordingly.

Last edited: