Is it possible to make it without Board cert?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DavidB

Anybody know of people out there practicing family (or as a GP) wihout board certficiation? Is it really possible? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know of people out there practicing family (or as a GP) wihout board certficiation? Is it really possible? :cool:

Someone in my area was doing it, he just retired...not because of lack of patients.

You could do it, but it'll hang you up every time you want to change jobs, etc. If you just want to work for yourself, and be in the same place and develop a reputation - and you're cool - it will probably work. Anywhere that will pay well and give benefits, etc wants BC. So, you can make it, but you're limited.

Thought it through because I think a huge test q10 years is BS. It's a ton of work, quite a bit of money and time, and just a huge windfall for the test writers. It's just that much more hoop-jumping.

Members don't see this ad :)
...I simply want to work for myself, do what cash procedures as I can (e.g., spa stuff, cosmetics), etc. I *hate* the thought of taking more blasted expensive exams, not to mention having to pay the expensive annual "dues." Is there some sort of association of "non-board certified" docs out there? :D

.. not to mention having to pay the expensive annual "dues." Is there some sort of association of "non-board certified" docs out there? :D

If there is, they probably have dues :smuggrin:

It is not feasible to practice today without board certification. Almost all the major insurance companies (BCBS, Aetna, Cigna, United, etc.) will not put you on their provider panels without board certification. Therefore you will not be able to see large numbers of insured patients. You will be pretty much be relegated to seeing Medicare and Medicaid patients only. This is not a viable payer mix at current reimbursement rates,