Is it possible to stay active in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skybliss

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear med school students, I'm interviewing for this cycle, and one of my main goals during med school is to stay active in the community for like, community projects and stuff. Seeing how the school would be in a rural area, this would not be difficult to do in terms of finding a worthwhile project and making it successful.

The problem that I need your opinion on is about time commitment. I know that medschool really needs at least 50 hours of studying per week outside of class. I'm hoping to commit about 5 hours a week to this extracurricular project. I'm thinking that if I manage my time well, it'll work, and also more importantly, having some balance would keep me sane.

Interviews are coming up, and I'm sure they would be asking me about this. I want to say that I want to be active in the community, and I have some ideas. Actually, before the interview, I also want to talk to some key people in the community to survey their interest, and be able to bring that up as a qualifier during interviews. What could I say if interviewers ask me "would you have time to do this given your heavy academic load?". I don't want my extracurricular stuff to backfire! D:

Members don't see this ad.

Dear med school students, I'm interviewing for this cycle, and one of my main goals during med school is to stay active in the community for like, community projects and stuff. Seeing how the school would be in a rural area, this would not be difficult to do in terms of finding a worthwhile project and making it successful.

The problem that I need your opinion on is about time commitment. I know that medschool really needs at least 50 hours of studying per week outside of class. I'm hoping to commit about 5 hours a week to this extracurricular project. I'm thinking that if I manage my time well, it'll work, and also more importantly, having some balance would keep me sane.

Interviews are coming up, and I'm sure they would be asking me about this. I want to say that I want to be active in the community, and I have some ideas. Actually, before the interview, I also want to talk to some key people in the community to survey their interest, and be able to bring that up as a qualifier during interviews. What could I say if interviewers ask me "would you have time to do this given your heavy academic load?". I don't want my extracurricular stuff to backfire! D:

The portion I have highlighted is a bit of a problem. Others may disagree, but IMHO, your main goals in med school should be to study hard, learn well, remember much. Everything else comes 2nd, 3rd, etc. Community activism, while it may be admirable and noble, should not be one of your main goals in med school. Having said that, there is no reason why you couldn't dedicate 5 hours a week to whatever extracurricular activity you want to do. If you are organized and dedicated you will have time for exercise, one or more select extracurricular activities, and even a social life every now and then.

Members don't see this ad :)

People who have families go to school and make it work. I can guarantee they are spending more than five hours a week doing things with their families. Some people train for marathons in medical school. Again more than five hours. Some people watch TV in medical school for more than five hours a week. If you want to do it you will have time. You just have to decide what you want to do and prioritize that.