Is it really that hard to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I see some people with amazing stats like 3.8/3.9+ and they have solid shadowing hours and volunteering hours and they sometimes don't get in... like what?

I mean if I have a 3.7+ science and cumulative GPA, 20+ on the DAT in every category, 100 shadowing hours, around 300 volunteering hours, and average LORs and apply early.... SHOULDN'T I BE GUARANTEED IN SOMEWHERE AS LONG AS INTERVIEW GOES FINE?

Members don't see this ad.

statistically, yes. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown to us, sometimes it's not enough.

My uncle went to one of the top law schools in the nation but got turned down from a lot of lower tier ones, he said you don't always know what a school wants. They won't report it but it's possible a certain school wants x many boys, x many girls, x many traditional students, x many non trads, x many from this state... etc. Sometimes you just get unlucky in the cycle I guess. That's the only way I can explain it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dat entitlement, so strong...
I don't see how it is wrong. If you have all of those things I have listed, and there are MANY people getting in with worse stats, wouldn't you feel that you deserved to get in?

In fact, I would be quite disappointed if I didn't get in with those stats... because IMO, you SHOULD get in with those stats unless you are completely socially inept.

I don't see how it is wrong. If you have all of those things I have listed, and there are MANY people getting in with worse stats, wouldn't you feel that you deserved to get in?

In fact, I would be quite disappointed if I didn't get in with those stats... because IMO, you SHOULD get in with those stats unless you are completely socially inept.

Numbers alone don't make you a good dentist or healthcare provider.

Reactions: 4 users
I believe that people on this site are too focused on stats (GPA, DAT, shadowing hours). You see someone with a 3.8/22DAT and you are blown away that they haven't heard from a school while someone with a 3.5/19DAT has. What we don't post on this site is our experiences. That person with sub par stats might have played football for 4 years, might have a couple years of research + publications, they might have extensive traveling experience. These extras are what could easily capture the attention of a dental school. It gives your application a personality that someone with outstanding stats might not have.

Reactions: 11 users

Stats aren't everything, as many people will tell you.

Reactions: 1 user
Numbers alone don't make you a good dentist or healthcare provider.
But it shows you have the mental ability to get through it.

Please tell me what volunteering hundreds of hours shows? It sure as h*ll doesn't show you would make a good dentist or healthcare provider.

Reactions: 2 users

Please tell me what volunteering hundreds of hours shows? It sure as h*ll doesn't show you would make a good dentist or healthcare provider.
But it does shows someone who cares, which by itself, is the best definition for a "good" dentist.

Reactions: 7 users

Mental ability to get through what? Coursework? Hundreds of volunteer hours shows that you know the field you are getting into, and realize it's what you want to do, you see what a dentist does every day and are aware of what the field entails. Straight A's and DATs show you can buckle down and study, yeah. Sure doesn't show how you are in a clinic, if you have any valuable research skills, if you've proven yourself to be able to interact with people, that you want to be involved in healthcare and the community. I'll say this from the first dental school interview I had. My interviewer said she didn't even look at our grades. At another, one interviewer was only given my personal statement.

In another thread I saw you're a freshman. I was there too. But the day you graduate with just good grades to show and an attitude that the other experiences are unnecessary you're in for one hell of a shock in the job market.

Reactions: 1 users
Dat entitlement, so strong...

Erm, I doubt the OP meant it in an I-totally-deserve-it way. But to be fair, after putting in 4 years of work, you would want to know that it will pay off in the end.

It shows you are willing to sacrifice your time in order to help others. If you want to just be a dentist. Fine. That what Dentistry it about technically. But we live a community and in order to better the community we should willingly devote out time to help others.

Volunteering is suppose to make your humble. After volunteering you're suppost to walk away with a sense of 'caring' for others.

Members don't see this ad :)

mental ability isn't everything. This is especially true in a profession like dentistry where you need social skills to communicate with patients. This is where being involved in a wide range of activities can be advantageous to an application.

But it does shows someone who cares, which by itself, is the best definition for a "good" dentist.
But to me it feels like the majority of pre-dental students volunteer because they know they have to to get into dental school. I bet you that a majority wouldn't volunteer if they didn't have to to get into dental school.

Mental ability to get through what? Coursework? Hundreds of volunteer hours shows that you know the field you are getting into, and realize it's what you want to do, you see what a dentist does every day and are aware of what the field entails. Straight A's and DATs show you can buckle down and study, yeah. Sure doesn't show how you are in a clinic, if you have any valuable research skills, if you've proven yourself to be able to interact with people, that you want to be involved in healthcare and the community. I'll say this from the first dental school interview I had. My interviewer said she didn't even look at our grades. At another, one interviewer was only given my personal statement.

In another thread I saw you're a freshman. I was there too. But the day you graduate with just good grades to show and an attitude that the other experiences are unnecessary you're in for one hell of a shock in the job market.
Sure and it's not like I am saying I wouldn't have any volunteering hours.
I am already volunteering at a local free-dental clinic as well as the boys and girls club, and will start at other places soon but I don't think they make me a better dentist, I mean even volunteering at the dental clinic, it won't help me become a better dentist because everything I will need to learn I will in dental school.

I believe that people on this site are too focused on stats (GPA, DAT, shadowing hours). You see someone with a 3.8/22DAT and you are blown away that they haven't heard from a school while someone with a 3.5/19DAT has. What we don't post on this site is our experiences. That person with sub par stats might have played football for 4 years, might have a couple years of research + publications, they might have extensive traveling experience. These extras are what could easily capture the attention of a dental school. It gives your application a personality that someone with outstanding stats might not have.
Hey you just described me! Haha 3.5 GPA/19 DAT, played football for 4 years, have 7 interviews out of 8 so far

Reactions: 9 users
But to me it feels like the majority of pre-dental students volunteer because they know they have to to get into dental school. I bet you that a majority wouldn't volunteer if they didn't have to to get into dental school.

I am already volunteering at a local free-dental clinic as well as the boys and girls club, and will start at other places soon but I don't think they make me a better dentist, I mean even volunteering at the dental clinic, it won't help me become a better dentist because everything I will need to learn I will in dental school.

They're not meant to make you a better dentist. They're supposed to make you a humbler, better person which will in turn make you a better dentist. I doubt any interview is going to ask what your favorite class was in college and how you did on you last exam, they're going to ask about the actual things you've done.

Precisely thats what dental schools don't want. Someone cocky and entitled to enter the profession. They say this in interviews all the time. You Do not earn a spot in dental school. It is given to you. It is a privilege. If your friend gas this mentality , no wonder why he didn't get in.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
I am already volunteering at a local free-dental clinic as well as the boys and girls club, and will start at other places soon but I don't think they make me a better dentist, I mean even volunteering at the dental clinic, it won't help me become a better dentist because everything I will need to learn I will in dental school.[/QUOTE]

You're right volunteering won't make you a better dentist because you aren't in dental school. Dental schools want to see that you have had these experiences because they expose you to what the next 25-30 years of your life will be like if you decide to apply, and are lucky enough to be admitted to a dental school. Did I enjoy taking out trash for four hours when I volunteered at a dental triage event (because that's all I was qualified to do)? No I did not but after seeing the dentist treat patients and talk to the dental students at the event I knew that I would enjoy doing what they did.

I also think it boils down to the fact that these schools are making a huge investment with each acceptance they give out so they have every right to be as thorough as they would like.

lol no. i realize you're young but these extracurricular experiences will teach you how to deal with other people. as a dentist, you won't be working on a set of teeth, there will be an actual living (hopefully) person attached them. one with problems, fears, issues, and concerns about everything important in their life.

the sooner you learn dentistry is a service profession and that you ultimately answer to your patients, the better off you'll be when that circus called dental school starts and the fit really hits the shan.

Represent those 3.5 19AA's!!!

Either way if someone had the following stats, wouldn't you think they should get in? I mean there are even volunteering hours here....
3.75 cumulative/science GPA
20 AA/ 20 TS/ 20 PAT
110 shadowing hours
100 hours volunteering free dental clinic
100 hours boys and girls club
100 hours food pantry
Pre-dental club all 4 years with some leadership positions too

Would you say that would be enough in the extra-curriculars to support a good GPA to pretty much guarantee getting in?

Either way if someone had the following stats, wouldn't you think they should get in? I mean there are even volunteering hours here....
20 AA/ 20 TS/ 20 PAT
110 shadowing hours
100 hours food pantry

Would you say that would be enough in the extra-curriculars to support a good GPA to pretty much guarantee getting in?

These are great and all, but nothing here really sticks out. The GPA is good, but every candidate will have volunteer hours, shadowing hours and some club involvement (whether it is pre-dent, boys and girls club, etc). The biggest goal is to stick out! Has this person gotten involved with research? Do they have interests that go beyond what the typical applicant has? These could be sports, music, hobbies (model building, working on cars, etc). As a pre-dent, it is important to know that EVERY applicant will have a good gpa, good DATs, and shadowing/volunteering hours.

On top of this, the individual in question needs to really represent themselves in their personal statement. It is a chance for us to tell a dental school why we are unique, why we are a great fit for dentistry, and what experiences have we had that have brought us to this decision.

Ultimately what I'm trying to get at is, you can't really judge someone by stats. Even the list you just typed isn't enough to fully capture what this applicant brings to the table (or doesn't).

20 AA/ 20 TS/ 20 PAT
110 shadowing hours
100 hours food pantry

The thing is, who said that someone like that DID NOT get in anywhere? I am assuming this is a fictional applicant. I would think that they would at least get into one dental school.

These are great and all, but nothing here really sticks out. The GPA is good, but every candidate will have volunteer hours, shadowing hours and some club involvement (whether it is pre-dent, boys and girls club, etc). The biggest goal is to stick out! Has this person gotten involved with research? Do they have interests that go beyond what the typical applicant has? These could be sports, music, hobbies (model building, working on cars, etc). As a pre-dent, it is important to know that EVERY applicant will have a good gpa, good DATs, and shadowing/volunteering hours.

On top of this, the individual in question needs to really represent themselves in their personal statement. It is a chance for us to tell a dental school why we are unique, why we are a great fit for dentistry, and what experiences have we had that have brought us to this decision.

Ultimately what I'm trying to get at is, you can't really judge someone by stats. Even the list you just typed isn't enough to fully capture what this applicant brings to the table (or doesn't).
I do play sports but I don't play on a team, but I regularly like 2-3 hours a week play tennis/basketball with friend so I don't know if there would be anywhere to put that on my application?

Research, not interested at all so I'm not going to bother because it would be hell doing something I have no interest in at all.

20 AA/ 20 TS/ 20 PAT
110 shadowing hours
100 hours food pantry

Your stats are fine. Your attitude isn't.

Hey, good stats means you do well in school but I think we're at the stage where a large number of applicants will have good stats so the difference is who you are, what experiences you have gone through, etc.. Cmon get with the program! :p

The dental student that I shadow said that those who want to specialize, especially the ones that want to go into Ortho, do not sleep. She said that during D2 she herself was sleep deprived for weeks on end, but then gave up and "settled for B's" because she couldn't do it anymore.
I'm sure though that it also depends on the school...some are harder, some are easier.

I am on a scholarship committee for an organization at my school and I gained some insight on this last year during scholarship interviews. We actually adjusted our criteria this year as a consequence. We had a number of great candidates with stellar personalities but lower stats who were excluded because we placed too much emphasis on stats.

The striking thing to me was that GPA and the interview seemed to be inversely proportional. There were some people with high GPA who interviewed well, but mostly it was the people with lower stats (3.2 - 3.5 GPA) who were personable, humble, honest, and genuinely interesting to talk to.

We had one guy come in with a 4.0 GPA. He was on Wall Street at a big firm before coming back to school for pre-med. When we asked him about the career change he said that no matter how much he achieved in finance, he wouldn't be respected like a doctor. Doctors are respected wherever they go because they can heal people, but stock brokers are only respected in America...

Another guy with a 3.9 GPA had absolutely NO social skills. He didn't make eye contact, he didn't know how to shake hands, he answered most of our questions with mono-syllabic responses, and his posture suggested that he thought we were about to beat him. I was later told that he had interviewed at several med schools the year before but did not get in to any of them.

One girl interviewed with us and was super nervous. She was sweet and humble, but couldn't answer questions well.

After that whole process was done, I remember thinking to myself that I now understood how someone with a 4.0 GPA and stellar achievements could be rejected from professional school.

Let me ask you guys this, how does one show to dental school their hobbies if they aren't in an organized or league type of thing?

Like I play tons of pick up games of basketball, I play tennis matches, but I'm not on a tennis team or basketball team. I just happen to like the sports and am pretty good at them. How do I show this aspect of me to dental schools? Especially when I put around 5-6 hours a week into those activities.

Let me ask you guys this, how does one show to dental school their hobbies if they aren't in an organized or league type of thing?

Like I play tons of pick up games of basketball, I play tennis matches, but I'm not on a tennis team or basketball team. I just happen to like the sports and am pretty good at them. How do I show this aspect of me to dental schools? Especially when I put around 5-6 hours a week into those activities.
You have to turn it into something where it can benefit others. People go to the gym 5-6 times a week for an hour each time, do you think that's an acceptable activity to list on an application? But someone who takes time to coach others in the gym on proper form, technique, etc.? Definitely something you can put on an application.

EDIT: Want to add that it does not necessarily have to "benefit others." Someone who enjoys traveling, and has traveled to 100 countries across the world is something that would definitely be interesting enough to put on an application (an obvious exaggeration)..

Last edited:
You have to turn it into something where it can benefit others. People go to the gym 5-6 times a week for an hour each time, do you think that's an acceptable activity to list on an application? But someone who takes time to coach others in the gym on proper form, technique, etc.? Definitely something you can put on an application.

EDIT: Want to add that it does not necessarily have to "benefit others." Someone who enjoys traveling, and has traveled to 100 countries across the world is something that would definitely be interesting enough to put on an application (an obvious exaggeration)..
Well people on sports teams put that on their application or people who do recreational sports put that on their application so I thought it would only show more personality to me if I can show I am not just some socially awkward freak who likes to study all the time but actually has a life outside of school....

Well people on sports teams put that on their application or people who do recreational sports put that on their application so I thought it would only show more personality to me if I can show I am not just some socially awkward freak who likes to study all the time but actually has a life outside of school....
Sports team? Different from doing it recreationally. If I can recall, there is no real place to put "hobbies" on your application. Just volunteer work, shadowing, research, working, EC's (which would include sports teams), and manual dexterity. Your best bet is to put it in the manual dexterity section, saying that you devote 5-6 hours playing basketball/tennis each week. Beware though, the section only allows for like, 200 characters.

Sports team? Different from doing it recreationally. If I can recall, there is no real place to put "hobbies" on your application. Just volunteer work, shadowing, research, working, EC's (which would include sports teams), and manual dexterity. Your best bet is to put it in the manual dexterity section, saying that you devote 5-6 hours playing basketball/tennis each week. Beware though, the section only allows for like, 200 characters.
What if I started playing in an organized league, not in an official school team, but like seasonal leagues like playing 1-2 tennis matches a week with a league and then playing recreational 5v5 basketball through a rec league, would those be considered extra-curriculars?

Also as far as basketball and tennis, how would those fit int manual dexterity? Like developing hand-eye coordination...?

What if I started playing in an organized league, not in an official school team, but like seasonal leagues like playing 1-2 tennis matches a week with a league and then playing recreational 5v5 basketball through a rec league, would those be considered extra-curriculars?

Also as far as basketball and tennis, how would those fit int manual dexterity? Like developing hand-eye coordination...?
Anything organized is good. Maybe you can try intramurals?

I've heard people put keyboard typing and video game playing into the section. It's not heavily weighted at all. C'mon, you only get 200 characters. Unless you put something derogatory or stupid in there, they aren't going to care too much (unless they ask you directly in an interview).

Anything organized is good. Maybe you can try intramurals?

I've heard people put keyboard typing and video game playing into the section. It's not heavily weighted at all. C'mon, you only get 200 characters. Unless you put something derogatory or stupid in there, they aren't going to care too much (unless they ask you directly in an interview).
Yea that's true, but I think if I start playing intramurals and put that on my extra-curriculars that would look good hopefully.

Remember that this is 2014 and we've decided that unique experiences are an important part of your application. Your interviewers would like to talk about something interesting with you, ideally not rehashing the same topics they've already talked about with hundreds of other people.

I think main take away is that most dental school applicants are pretty much the same type and calibre of people.

The admissions committee have heard thousands of "I love to help people"s and "I have always wanted to be a dentist"s.

It is most likely the majority of the applicants will have very similar stats and extracurricular. What is going to make you stand out? What's going to "dazzle [the adcom]? What's going to jump off the page?" -21 (2008)

It is not hard to dental school. It is hard to English though

Reactions: 14 users

Funny you mention that, at my NYU interview last month, I was asked to give one word to describe a successful dentist, and I said "caring", out of haste. I honestly thought it was a good word through first instinct but in retrospect thought I could have said something else, but after reading your post, I feel much better lol.

Funny you mention that, at my NYU interview last month, I was asked to give one word to describe a successful dentist, and I said "caring", out of haste. I honestly thought it was a good word through first instinct but in retrospect thought I could have said something else, but after reading your post, I feel much better lol.

When I had the interview at NYU I said compassionate. Got me an acceptance.

It shows a lot. If you cannot answer that question, then you lack something very important.

The attitude on SDN for numbers is beyond ridiculous. From all of my interviews (all the "top" schools), every school seemed to be looking for the same thing. A person! Someone who has had real life experiences, who has matured, and who can contribute his/her diverse experiences to the class. Numbers are important in so far as they want smart people, but I do not believe they should be anyone's sole purpose in college. It bugs me when I see a "chance me" thread because students are not focused on other aspects of the application. Pre-dents need to ask themselves what they bring to the table that's different from every other applicant. If it's only their good grades, then I feel bad for them, as there are many more diverse students with the same stats. I strongly believe that whether you're selected for candidacy is based on you, as a person, and not based on "luck." This can be seen from your PS and LORs, where you and others put their credibility on the line to represent you as a person. I believe the interview is just to confirm that you're who everyone and yourself says you are. If you make it to the interview, then there's a good chance they have already considered you a fit to the school. All that's left is for you to prove it, and for you to choose whether or not the school is a good fit for you.

I have the chance to go to Africa and volunteers/intern at a dental clinic in Kenya the summer of my senior year in high school. I'm hoping to apply to an accelerated dental program (to which you apply after your first semester of college) and I'm really hoping my parents agree and I hope this really stands me out from other applicants! Cause I have good high school stats as of right now and volunteer work and research but as others have said, that's something everyone has.