Is it too early to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KentuckySuper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Start studying foot anatomy?

I'm non-trad just starting pre-reqs, getting bored just studying biology. 3 year plan in place.

I'm taking it in layers, first bones, now studying the joints working my way from inside out.
Kind of freaking out the better half. He's having to listen to me learn how to say all this stuff.
Strangely he was not phased when I told him I wanted to make my own model of a foot from wood.

Also shadowing this summer. My job as a school teacher limits when I can do stuff and still pay bills for now.
Is it too early to get foot specific study in now?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry too much about studying anatomy yet. It won't hurt you if you want to do it, but I wouldn't do it to try to get a head start. If you're bored, go ahead and read up on the anatomy. It's sometimes good to do something like that to get you past a low point and focus on the end goal.

You should take an anatomy class if you have time. Nothing beats studying from a real cadaver.

Members don't see this ad :)
***GUNNER ALERT!!!***

lol jk. It can't hurt to study lower anatomy if you're bored, but remember that it's a long 4 years. Don't burn yourself out early by going overboard before you even take your first class. Also whatever you study will not be detailed enough, so just keep that in mind.

Good luck!

I agree with AB here. It's better to get a scholarship than to be slightly more prepared going into lower or gross IMO. I view going through a postbac for prereqs as reteaching yourself how to think and building up studying endurance. Focus on the fundamentals now; worry about academics of podiatry when you get there.

3/4 through first class, A so far, 1 final test and 2 smaller labs to go. It's a low A, but i'll take it considering it's been literally 18 years since I studied the subject....and I did miss the first 1/4 of class due to my current profession...that and I have some time to pull it a touch higher still. Note: avoid missing the first 1/4 of a class in the future, it sucks trying to sort through mountains of info and not knowing for sure if you are on track or not.

I also decided (and with the blessing of a local DPM I shadowed) to start constructing a skeleton of the foot bones from wood I am carving. He thought it would be good in having a stronger tactile feel for the bones. It's definitely a conversation starter when friends visit and see wooden phalanges and cuneiform bones laying on the table!

The shadowing experience...fantastic! He really has a fine practice and his patients adore him. He really knows his stuff and explains it to his patients (and me) in a way that makes sense. It was action packed, and yet such a more inviting environment than my current field of employment. I can't wait to shadow again. I only saw pretty typical stuff (which is probably a good thing), only 1 open wound...but there was some green! Lots of questions, mind spinning a bit, it was great.

Its good to hear everything is going well. Like others have said, just focus on your pre-reqs and MCAT. Spend as much time with family as you can now because trust me trust, when the real game begins, everything else will be on the back burner for a bit. If you want to study anatomy, I would suggest you take an anatomy course at your institution, don't worry about studying for it on your own.

You will definitely get a feel for the bones when you start school. You will get a whole lower extremity set (at least scholl students do) and you will have to learn every little facet and groove on all the bones. Again, just enjoy the time you have right now :)