Is it too late to add more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medjustice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already applied to 11 MD/PHD programs, but I think I should apply to more (I think my list is too top-heavy). Do you think it is too late to add like 6 more schools to my list?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
While early application is encouraged, you can still get interview invites if you apply later, especially if the added schools have smaller applicant pools.

Reactions: 1 user
.... or more importantly interviews until January or so. Check the national calendar for interviews and second visits. As I indicated previously:

Examine your list against these resources on MSTP competitiveness and your Research area of interest using the Blue Ridge NIH funding database. You should begin by making a list of matriculants/applicants of all MD/PhD programs by downloading the AAMC Table B-8 excel spreadsheet from this AAMC link. Then, highlight all of the currently funded MSTP programs. This exercise gives you an idea of how competitive some MSTP programs are relative to others. You will be surprised that some schools with significant name have marginal MD/PhD programs.

For people with academic benchmarks that are lower than the national averages. You might have a better chance in schools with at least 5 or more slots. We have to report to NIH (in our training tables) our applicant and matriculant data for the Undergraduate cGPA range and mean. Which is why, if you only have fewer slots in a MD/PhD program is tougher to consider you for an AC. Now, there are quite a few terrific small MD/PhD programs that do not have NIH T32 MSTP funding, but consistently get NIH F30 funding by their trainees. Examine NIH Reporter tool.

Reactions: 1 user