Is it too late to apply for the NHSC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting medical school in July and was wondering if it is too late to apply for the NHSC.

I am going to an expensive private DO school in San Antonio (UIWSOM) and am interested in rural primary care so, I think the NHSC may be a good fit.

I missed the May 11th deadline so, can I apply as an OMS 2?

Also, I am interested to see how the program works:

- Do you have flexibility on where you work? I would be interested in working in rural Texas.

- Is the pay a lot less considering your loans are being taken care of?

- How are the hours and working conditions compared to people who did not go this route. I am planning on doing PM and R or internal so, my other option would be to try and do rural PM and R. I understand if I do the NHSC PM and R is not an option.

Members don't see this ad.

I am starting medical school in July and was wondering if it is too late to apply for the NHSC.

I am going to an expensive private DO school in San Antonio (UIWSOM) and am interested in rural primary care so, I think the NHSC may be a good fit.

I missed the May 11th deadline so, can I apply as an OMS 2?

Also, I am interested to see how the program works:

- Do you have flexibility on where you work? I would be interested in working in rural Texas.

- Is the pay a lot less considering your loans are being taken care of?

- How are the hours and working conditions compared to people who did not go this route. I am planning on doing PM and R or internal so, my other option would be to try and do rural PM and R. I understand if I do the NHSC PM and R is not an option.

Yes, you can apply next year as an OMS-1. If you get the scholarship next year, you would get 3 years of financial support.

However, I would strongly suggest NOT applying for the scholarship until you have a better idea of how it works. Yes, you can choose where to work, as long as they are hiring and their HPSA score is high enough. How high it needs to be changes every few years.

The salary will probably be less, just because most places that recruit NHSC scholars tend not to be as lucrative as private practice offices. It’s usually about 10-20K less but each situation is obviously different. Working conditions are about the same. Hours may sometimes be better as most FQHCs have less call than a private practice would.

What are some good sources that I can look at to get a better idea of the NHSC?

Also, how hard is it to get these scholarships. I have a bud also going to DO school and he said it's really competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are some good sources that I can look at to get a better idea of the NHSC?

Also, how hard is it to get these scholarships. I have a bud also going to DO school and he said it's really competitive.
10% and I think they favor doctors over other professions. They did receive $800 million from the government so maybe it’ll be less competitive this year.

Reactions: 1 user
10% and I think they favor doctors over other professions. They did receive $800 million from the government so maybe it’ll be less competitive this year.
10 percent is pretty dang competitive. It would be like getting into med. school again, lol.

10 percent is pretty dang competitive. It would be like getting into med. school again, lol.
They place being from a disadvantaged background and showing commitment to serving the underserved as high priorities over other stats though.

Hey so I actually looked at some old data from 6+ years ago. It seems like DO/MD are awarded closer to 20% whereas other professions are closer to 5%. Bad news for me as an entering PA.🤣