Is it too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RRT95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been researching podiatry as an alternative way to study medicine, my current stats are 3.7 overall gpa, 3.4 science gpa. 492 mcat, 2,000+ hours volunteer, 2000+ hours working as an emergency medicine and trauma Respiratory therapist.

Members don't see this ad.

No, it's not even close to too late

Definitely not too late. In some cases, you are still "early" with your GPA and ECs. Get some podiatry shadowing in so the school's don't look at it as a random decision you made. Some schools may not interview you until you have a podiatry LOR in. Submit your AACPMAS application in soon. Your GPA and MCAT should get you interviews at most of the schools. The only possible schools I see you may have difficulty getting in with is Temple, Midwestern, and DMU, but your other ECs might help that too. Barry is big on their interviews, so you have to kill their interview. Scholl is big on application improvement and interviews as well as LORs.

I got into all my schools with a 489 MCAT, 3.4 cPGA, 3.2 sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been researching podiatry as an alternative way to study medicine, my current stats are 3.7 overall gpa, 3.4 science gpa. 492 mcat, 2,000+ hours volunteer, 2000+ hours working as an emergency medicine and trauma Respiratory therapist.

You're fine on time, although Id have everything 100% completed and sent in by the end of March/Early April. You want to make sure most slots aren't full which will only make them more picky on their applicants, additionally, scholarship money starts to run out towards the end so getting in early is key to this too.

As to the alternative, I have consistently seen students who enter podiatry as an "alternative" are not really as happy as those who know what the field is all about. I would definitely recommend shadowing some podiatrists to really get an idea of what this field is all about.

There have been soooo many discussions regarding this subject but the TLDR is Yes you're a doctor, but that doesn't mean it is the life you may be imagining and as a result, is being called a doctor worth this lifestyle of a physician (surgery, post-op care, examining peoples feet and ankles, etc.) Financial income is quite sufficient on average (others may say too little, but that varies on the person as it is definitely relative to how hard you work at it), etc.

So in the end, just make sure this is what you really want to do before you seriously consider Podiatry as your "alternative".

Hope this helps!

I applied in January, interviewed February, and still got scholarship offers. Midwestern is usually the first to fill given the small class size, but even they don't fill until around March.