Is it true??? North Dakota has it right??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
that requires that the applicant for a permit to operate a pharmacy be [SIZE=-1][414 U.S. 156, 158] [/SIZE]"a registered pharmacist in good standing" or "a corporation or association, the majority stock in which is owned by registered pharmacists in good standing, actively and regularly employed in and responsible for the management, supervision, and operation of such pharmacy."

This is an old statute. Not sure if this has been repealed..... yet I'm not sure if there are chain or mass merchandiser pharmacies in ND. This means indies are thriving in ND.

Let me remind you that I know nothing about ND other than the bits I saw from the movie "Fargo" and the only thing I really saw was Snow.

I would love to see this kind of regulation in other states.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah the 51% law is still in effect in ND. The big chains are currently trying to get the law overturned so that they can set up their pharmacies in state. As of right now, we only have like 11 CVS Pharmacies in the state because they were grandfathered in, but other than that we don't have any other Big Chain stores in ND. Any pharmacy that is inside of Walmart or other big chains is owned by a pharmacist.
I hope they don't overturn the law, but everyone wants these 4 dollar prescriptions, so I dunno what is gonna happen with the law.

I hope ND pharmacists and students can band together to protect our profession. I know it will be too easy for Wags to wave $15,000 sign on bonus to new grads to vote in Wags. It will be a fight well worth winning.

Good Luck to you guys! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Walmart is trying very hard to get the law changed along with Walgreens. It is expected to be changed sometime this year. This is an issue The Pharmacy Alliance is following closely.

You gotta love ND for their foresight. To bad they are the only state with this requirement.

If I wasn't a Pharmacist, I would want a chain pharmacy down the street.

Ironically, the group trying to get the statute repealed is arguing that ND is behind the rest of the nation. North Dakotans are proud of our state but also hate being told they are backwards. Initially the public seemed to go along with Walmart and Walgreens. Now it seems like they are seeing the potential loss of pharmacies in the smallest communities. I hope the legislators come to their senses. NDSU College of Pharmacy will be sending students to Bismarck to speak individually with state senators on this issue.

Ironically, the group trying to get the statute repealed is arguing that ND is behind the rest of the nation. North Dakotans are proud of our state but also hate being told they are backwards. Initially the public seemed to go along with Walmart and Walgreens. Now it seems like they are seeing the potential loss of pharmacies in the smallest communities. I hope the legislators come to their senses. NDSU College of Pharmacy will be sending students to Bismarck to speak individually with state senators on this issue.

Hopefully, the rule stands. That's awesome!

Actually,ND isn't the only state with this type of law on its books. For example, PA has the same type of law. However, it isn't enforced. When you are a big corporation and have friends in politics you can have certain laws ignored. Its called politics.