People who failed Biochemistry the first time but passed it the second time, what went wrong, then what went right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hihi1413

Reaction score
For me, his tests were ridiculous. It was like being sucker punched from question to question. I'm not the only one who noticed that either. An advisor wondered if perhaps my prerequisites weren't as strong as they could be, and I've started wondering that as well. So, assuming she had a point, what in your opinion or experience is the best prerequisite to prepare one for Biochemistry? Maybe I can watch some videos or revisit old notes this Summer. The good news is that I have 7-8 months (or maybe just 3-4) to prepare to retake it. And beyond that, assuming anyone had an instructor with tests similar to what I just relayed, how did you ultimately clear that hurdle?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, his tests were ridiculous. It was like being sucker punched from question to question. I'm not the only one who noticed that either. An advisor wondered if perhaps my prerequisites weren't as strong as they could be, and I've started wondering that as well. So, assuming she had a point, what in your opinion or experience is the best prerequisite to prepare one for Biochemistry? Maybe I can watch some videos or revisit old notes this Summer. The good news is that I have 7-8 months (or maybe just 3-4) to prepare to retake it. And beyond that, assuming anyone had an instructor with tests similar to what I just relayed, how did you ultimately clear that hurdle
.... Did you not have to take biochem as a pre-req?
What's so different about this version?
Are others struggling?

I hate to break it to you, but the whole point of P1 is to weed out weak students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For me, his tests were ridiculous. It was like being sucker punched from question to question. I'm not the only one who noticed that either. An advisor wondered if perhaps my prerequisites weren't as strong as they could be, and I've started wondering that as well. So, assuming she had a point, what in your opinion or experience is the best prerequisite to prepare one for Biochemistry? Maybe I can watch some videos or revisit old notes this Summer. The good news is that I have 7-8 months (or maybe just 3-4) to prepare to retake it. And beyond that, assuming anyone had an instructor with tests similar to what I just relayed, how did you ultimately clear that hurdle?
Start using AK Lectures on YouTube for supplemental instruction. He is fantastic and covers all topics in a succinct manner

Edit: To add, he got me through biochem 1 and 2 and helped somewhat with genomics

.... Did you not have to take biochem as a pre-req?
What's so different about this version?
Are others struggling?

I hate to break it to you, but the whole point of P1 is to weed out weak students.
I took Organic Chemistry over the past Summer. There was no Biochemistry prerequisite requirement.

Start using AK Lectures on YouTube for supplemental instruction. He is fantastic and covers all topics in a succinct manner

Edit: To add, he got me through biochem 1 and 2 and helped somewhat with genomics
Thanks for being helpful. I'll look into it.

I took Organic Chemistry over the past Summer. There was no Biochemistry prerequisite requirement.
You took ochem as a summer course? That's wild. I didn't realize that was possible.

That aside, if you're failing biochem you do not stand a chance in the 2nd and 3rd years

You took ochem as a summer course? That's wild. I didn't realize that was possible.

That aside, if you're failing biochem you do not stand a chance in the 2nd and 3rd years

Not really…pharmacy school doesn’t utilize much biochem. I was a biochem and molecular bio major

I passed biochem by one point on my final and didn't struggle with anything after P1 year. Sounds like OP may need a kick to start getting into better study habits but that doesn't necessarily mean s/he can't get it together moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user