Is it true that what you do in college doesn't count for residency?

lovetolie13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that what you do in college doesn't count for residency, unless it's a publication? When you fill out a college application, you usually only put activities you do in high school, not in middle school, is it similar for a residency application in that you would only put down activities you did during medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that what you do in college doesn't count for residency, unless it's a publication? When you fill out a college application, you usually only put activities you do in high school, not in middle school, is it similar for a residency application in that you would only put down activities you did during medical school?
Pretty much. High school --> college, college --> MD school, MD school --> residency. The only thing that should be included from more than 1 step prior is pubs

If I were to be involved in both student government in college and medical school, would that count as a meaningful continuation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think student government is a thing in med school...

I might be wrong (not in medical school hahaha), but from my tours of various medical schools, they have a president, vice president, student reps too

But as to OPs orginal question -- your life, for residency purposes, doesn't actully start until med school, unless you had a Prior career. Nobody cares that you were college president or president of your fraternity and that you were in every play and played some college ball. The guy who did none of those things but published a manuscript in med school in a journal with a high impact factor will get your residency spot.

Reactions: 1 user
I think only publications and certain highly elite things would stay forever (e.g., if you won the overall Intel Science Fair, won an Olympic medal, set a HS record for fastest mile, started a thriving business, etc.)

I think only publications and certain highly elite things would stay forever (e.g., if you won the overall Intel Science Fair, won an Olympic medal, set a HS record for fastest mile, started a thriving business, etc.)

Agreed, I'm sure this would be noticed by a residency and winning ISF in HS back in the day was every nerds dream. :p