Is it unprofessional to turn back on an internship offer I already accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sailingallalone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am currently finishing up my second year of pharmacy school and was just offered a summer internship with Walgreens out of state, where I will have family that I can stay with for the summer. It seemed perfect, so I accepted it.

But today (a week later) I was just offered another summer internship in-state close to home (where I would eventually want to work as a pharmacist) with Walmart. I feel like it would be a better career move to stay closer to home and make connections in the area - especially if I like Walmart and choose to stay with the company.

I have never been in this position before, so I'm not sure what is okay and what is not. Would it be viewed as unprofessional if I call the manager from Walgreens back and tell him that I received an offer that better suits my needs at the time? My concern is that I keep hearing how small of a world Pharmacy is, and I certainly don't want to burn any bridges. They guy at Walgreens seems incredibly friendly and I know I would be perfectly happy there, but it's hard for me to pass up an opportunity like this.

Thanks for any input!

SAAL

Members don't see this ad.

Just thank them for the opportunity and tell them you accepted another offer closer to home. I don't think its a big deal.

Reactions: 1 user
It would not be unprofessional to turn down the position per se; how you turn it down will determine if you are unprofessional or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys.

So would it be acceptable to just thank him for giving me the opportunity, mention that another opportunity has come up that is a better fit for me, and apologize for the inconvenience I am causing? I'm not really sure how much detail to go into with why I am no longer following through.

An email is sufficient. Just mention closer to home, everyone understands that.

at will employment, works for interns the same way it works for technicians and pharmacists and everyone else. You can quit a job at anytime, its not unprofessional. Depending on your job, determines how much advance notice you want to give, since this is a summer job that you haven't started working at yet, its perfect to quit now, it gives the employer plenty of time to line up another summer intern.