Is it worth applying to VA AEGD programs if you don't rank high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babytomato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to AEGD/GPR programs and wanted to know if anyone has or heard of anyone who has gotten into a VA program who's ranked in the bottom 50% on their class?

I am ranked in the 60s in a class of 95 and am not sure if it's worth applying for them. I heard really good things about them but also know they are competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to AEGD/GPR programs and wanted to know if anyone has or heard of anyone who has gotten into a VA program who's ranked in the bottom 50% on their class?

I am ranked in the 60s in a class of 95 and am not sure if it's worth applying for them. I heard really good things about them but also know they are competitive.
I'm attending at one of the VA programs on the west coast.
Traditionally...we select applicants in top 10-20% of their class. However, we have selected appliance at the other end of the bell curve.
We take into consideration whether you are a Veteran...LOR......and personal statement.
We selected applicants that were rank #1 at Washington, #15 at UCSF. ....or # 60 at Howard. Both applicant did exceptionally well in the program.

You have nothing to lose..Apply!

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't hurt to apply and see where it gets you! I applied to peds back in the day ranked toward the middle of the class. Didn't think I would have a chance but solid personal statements, externships , strong LORs make a difference.

If there is a program that you want to attend, reach out and see if you could do a day externship. I've had some friends that did that and they were able to match into those programs. It's two-sided though, make a good impression with them will help; make a bad impression..no interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I wonder if others can comment on the various VA hospital GPR's.

I work in the VA hospital with GPR residents and frankly I think their program sucks. Don't think it's worth applying too. but hopefully that is just the one I am at.

Dental students, not all residencies are created equal. Some are not worth your time

Reactions: 1 user

Focus on putting together a strong application overall - good letters of recommendation, clinical grades, personal statement, etc. This can help make up for a lower class rank to some extent.

I wonder if others can comment on the various VA hospital GPR's.

I work in the VA hospital with GPR residents and frankly I think their program sucks. Don't think it's worth applying too. but hopefully that is just the one I am at.

Dental students, not all residencies are created equal. Some are not worth your time
I am a Prosth resident at a VA and we have GPR residents here. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and find the GPR program extremely impressive and worth applying to. I do know that not all VAs are created equal so this will heavily depend on location, funding, staffing, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a Prosth resident at a VA and we have GPR residents here. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and find the GPR program extremely impressive and worth applying to. I do know that not all VAs are created equal so this will heavily depend on location, funding, staffing, etc.
Do you mind sending me the name of the VA you are a resident of? I have been trying to compile a list of good GPR/AEGDs to apply to

Do you mind sending me the name of the VA you are a resident of? I have been trying to compile a list of good GPR/AEGDs to apply to
*edit - you'll have to send me a DM since I can't seem to send one to you

I don't mind. If anyone else wants to know, just DM me. I am also helping a bit with the Prosth thread so I want to stay more neutral since I may be seeing some people during interviews.