Is specialization financially worth it in the long run?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

planisphere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a very broad, even dumb question, but as still a layman (D1) I would like any kind of feedback if possible.
I was just thinking that we all know salary is usually higher for specialties, but it occurred to me that there are also:

1) accruing interest from four-year tuition
2) extra 2-3 years of tuition (depending on the program; let's exclude OMFS for now...)
3) the salary you could've made as a GP during those 2-3 years.

My math may not be right, but I hope you understand where I am getting at. Do specialties really make that much despite those financial disadvantages?

Thanks in advance

P.S Oh wow I just realized there's a similar thread right next to this...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you have rich parents who pay for your dental school tuition then yes it’s worth it! But if you are a poor 1st generation college student with immigrant parents like me - not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have rich parents who pay for your dental school tuition then yes it’s worth it! But if you are a poor 1st generation college student with immigrant parents like me - not worth it.
This sums up well.

If you're well off, and have the time to spare, sure.

I spent much of my life working to support my family and entered dental school in 30s. I didn't want to start working in 40s. I didn't want to rack up more debt. I would have lost 800k-1.2mil income in those 2-3 years. For me, realistically, I could not do a specialty.

Reactions: 1 users