Is it worth delaying Med school to ensure a higher MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geekman55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are a few proposed schedules for me just starting out as a nontraditional student. I won't be able to enroll in classes until Spring 2015. I am 27 so I really want to get into med school as soon as possible. I have chem1&2, physics, and math under my belt from undergrad/grad school. Keep in mind I am currently working full-time as an engineer.

Schedule 1 and 2 assume I continue to work full-time as an engineer

*UPDATE* I found out that I can still enroll for the Fall 2014. It may be difficult to get the time slots I want since the continuing education people get last choice. I think it would be unwise to take two classes my first semester since I don't know how that will mesh with my work schedule. I am still throwing around the idea of not enrolling in the Fall and sorting things out with volunteering and making sure this is what I want to do. I've updated my schedule to reflect this. */END UPDATE*

Schedule 1 - relaxed
Summer 2014:
Review old chemistry in preparation for organic chemistry
Fall 2014: Organic Chem 1
Spring 2015: Biology Class
Summer 2015: possibly something like psychology/sociology/biochem depending on what is offered
Fall 2015: Organic chem 2 & 2nd biology class
Spring 2016: Any other prereqs that I feel like might help me such as psychology/sociology/biochem depending on what I was able to take in the Summer 2015. Could potentially take nothing this semester and study for MCAT exclusively.
Summer 2016: Take MCAT and apply to schools.
Fall 2016: wait...
Spring 2017: wait...
Summer 2017: wait...
Fall 2017: MED STUDENT (hopefully)

Schedule 2 - aggressive
Summer 2014 (July-Aug): Review old chemistry/physics/biology to prep for Fall 2014.
Fall 2014 (starting now basically): Take Organic Chem 1 and in free time study psychology/biochem.
Spring 2015: Take Organic Chem 2 and a Biology course. Prep for MCAT
Summer 2015: Take MCAT at the beginning of the summer. Take second Biology course and focus on volunteer and applying for Med schools in June.
Fall 2015: Retake MCAT if needed. Otherwise finish up prereqs such as psychology or biochem
Spring 2016: Do nothing if MCAT was good and was accepted otherwise either take a weakness area class or study more for MCAT.
Summer 2016: Retake MCAT in May if needed...otherwise plan to start Med school in Fall
Fall 2016: MED STUDENT!

I'm leaning towards trying schedule 2 (aggressive), but it also makes me nervous taking the MCAT without all the prereqs done.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I vote schedule 1. You'll be busting your tail for years in med school and residency. Burning yourself out beforehand doesn't seem like a good idea. Burning yourself out will make you age faster and feel older than you are, effectively negating any benefit of time saved :p

It's not really a good idea to take the MCAT before the pre req, we've had a couple of smart engineering types on here who've tried this and I think they now advise against that strategy.

Lastly, despite the best laid plans, life happens and things go awry. You might break your leg and get delayed etc. Having a less stringent, more flexible schedule with some breathing room built in allows you to deal with that stuff better while still staying more on track with your plan. And it's nice to maintain the ability to have some semblance of a life while busting your butt.

Just my opinion.

Schedule 1 for sure. The idea is to get into medical school successfully (and ideally on the first try), not to apply to medical school as quickly as possible. However, you are planning on taking the MCAT too late for an app year. You should plan to take it by the end of May 2016 if you plan to apply in 2016 so that you can apply in June of 2016 for a 2017 start. If you can't take the test before summer 2016, best to take it in the fall 2016 or early in 2017, and then apply in June 2017 to start in 2018.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I vote schedule 1. You'll be busting your tail for years in med school and residency. Burning yourself out beforehand doesn't seem like a good idea. Burning yourself out will make you age faster and feel older than you are, effectively negating any benefit of time saved :p

It's not really a good idea to take the MCAT before the pre req, we've had a couple of smart engineering types on here who've tried this and I think they now advise against that strategy.

Lastly, despite the best laid plans, life happens and things go awry. You might break your leg and get delayed etc. Having a less stringent, more flexible schedule with some breathing room built in allows you to deal with that stuff better while still staying more on track with your plan. And it's nice to maintain the ability to have some semblance of a life while busting your butt.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, you are probably right. That'll give me more prep time which will inevitably mean a more successful career. Plus, while working full-time I might not be able to prepare as much as I want to in the aggressive schedule.

The 2015 MCAT scares me since I'll need to study more topics than your typical med student and physics, which I excel at, will not be as big a part of the test.

Taking schedule 1 will give me more time to do volunteer and shadowing hours to help improve my app and also solidify my decision to bail on engineering for my MD. I'm just disappointed in myself that I have decided this late to go into Med school. I'm going to be 30 once I start med school and about 37 before I'm done with all my residency/fellowships. At least I've only wasted 5 years in the engineering industry and am going to be able to be able to spend about 20-25 in the medical at least.

Schedule 1 for sure. The idea is to get into medical school successfully (and ideally on the first try), not to apply to medical school as quickly as possible. However, you are planning on taking the MCAT too late for an app year. You should plan to take it by the end of May 2016 if you plan to apply in 2016 so that you can apply in June of 2016 for a 2017 start. If you can't take the test before summer 2016, best to take it in the fall 2016 or early in 2017, and then apply in June 2017 to start in 2018.

Ah, thanks for this information. I can definitely apply summer 2016. If I do bad, I can still have time to retake again right? Hopefully, I'll know where I stand based on practice tests.

Ah, thanks for this information. I can definitely apply summer 2016. If I do bad, I can still have time to retake again right? Hopefully, I'll know where I stand based on practice tests.
That's part of why you don't want to be taking the exam at the last minute. Most med schools will not accept a January retake for the current cycle, for example.

The 2015 MCAT scares me since I'll need to study more topics than your typical med student and physics, which I excel at, will not be as big a part of the test.

Taking schedule 1 will give me more time to do volunteer and shadowing hours to help improve my app and also solidify my decision to bail on engineering for my MD. I'm just disappointed in myself that I have decided this late to go into Med school. I'm going to be 30 once I start med school and about 37 before I'm done with all my residency/fellowships. At least I've only wasted 5 years in the engineering industry and am going to be able to be able to spend about 20-25 in the medical at least.
I would argue that the first thing you need to do if you are to be successful in medicine (or in life in general) is to change your attitude. First, you have not excelled at other things as much as physics in the past because you haven't spent as much time learning them. But that doesn't mean you are incapable of learning them should you so choose. Make the choice now that you will learn these other fields, and that you will do what is necessary to excel in those classes.

Second, there is no set schedule or age at which one should attend medical school. You go when you're ready. If that means in your 30s, then so be it. I went to med school in my 30s after a PhD in chemistry and just finished residency at the age of 39. I don't view the ten years I spent as a chemist as a waste of time at all, and you shouldn't view your time in engineering as a waste either. Instead, look at it from the perspective of what skills you have gained over the past five years that will make you a better physician and person, such as analytical skills, people management skills, numerical literacy, maybe research skills, etc. In fact, you would not be the person you are today, nor the physician you will be in the future, had you not spent that five years as an engineer. So it's a good thing you did. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I would argue that the first thing you need to do if you are to be successful in medicine (or in life in general) is to change your attitude. First, you have not excelled at other things as much as physics in the past because you haven't spent as much time learning them. But that doesn't mean you are incapable of learning them should you so choose. Make the choice now that you will learn these other fields, and that you will do what is necessary to excel in those classes.

Second, there is no set schedule or age at which one should attend medical school. You go when you're ready. If that means in your 30s, then so be it. I went to med school in my 30s after a PhD in chemistry and just finished residency at the age of 39. I don't view the ten years I spent as a chemist as a waste of time at all, and you shouldn't view your time in engineering as a waste either. Instead, look at it from the perspective of what skills you have gained over the past five years that will make you a better physician and person, such as analytical skills, people management skills, numerical literacy, maybe research skills, etc. In fact, you would not be the person you are today, nor the physician you will be in the future, had you not spent that five years as an engineer. So it's a good thing you did. :)

Thanks for the kick in the butt, sometimes I need that. But really, I don't have a negative attitude, and the physics comment was kind of half joking. I know I can learn this chemistry/biology stuff and expect to get all A's in my remaining classes.

I don't regret doing engineering at all. I just think I gave it a longer shot than it deserved. However, I've only been in my current role for 3 years, which had got me thinking about what is next and if I really want to do this the rest of my life. I have decided I don't want to. I know I can be successful because I got into one of the best engineering leadership programs in the nation right out of college. This program was likely harder to get into than Med school will be for me and I placed very highly in my class. Granted, med school will be different subjects, but I think the engineering background will help me especially in work ethic and dedication.

I agree that I should look at my engineering stint as a life experience and it is what made me who I am today. I actually got a ton of leadership, problem solving, and work ethic skills from doing the engineering leadership program. I think this will really help me in med school. I now just need to start doing some more volunteering and try to help build my med school resume. It is going to be a long ride, but I think in the end it will be worth it and I will be happy.

Why can't you start taking classes this Fall? Sounds like you just have to take 5 classes for prereq's? Organic 1 and 2 and Bio 1 and 2 and then biochem? Organic and Biology require a lab which will take time considering your full-time work schedule. I highly recommend starting Fall 2014 to get those heavier sciences out of the way. You could take 2 classes at a time and work full-time but it'll be tough but doable if you give up alot of free/down time. If you quit your job and go full time to school I think you could apply next summer. Do not repeat classes you have already taken/have credit for. You are wasting time and money. I studied for the MCAT and worked full time when I was 10-12 years removed from my prereqs and did fine. If it were me, I'd keep working full-time and get those 5 classes done.
Fall 2014 - Organic 1
Spring 2015 - Organic 2 with lab
Summer 2015 - Bio 1
Fall 2015 - Bio 2 with lab and Biochemistry
Spring 2016 - Study for MCAT for a Spring test date
Summer 2016 - Apply

A note on your other schedules - you must take the MCAT no later than June the year you are applying. And in my opinion you need at least 3 months to study for the MCAT.

No, it's not worth it to delay medical school to get a higher MCAT. Your statement assumes that you'd get into medical school with a lower MCAT, and going to almost any medical school is the same as any other.

No, it's not worth it to delay medical school to get a higher MCAT. Your statement assumes that you'd get into medical school with a lower MCAT, and going to almost any medical school is the same as any other.
Agree :)

I am pretty sure admission for the Fall is closed. I am trying to talk to an advisor to see if anything can be done but I'm doubting it.

OP, I understand slowing down can be frustrating. I just made that difficult decision myself, along with figuring out which MCAT to take among other things. At first I was pretty disappointed that I've essentially delayed two years, but now I'm realizing it was probably one of the smartest things I could have done. I'll have more dedicated time to prep for the MCAT, more time to do ECs, I'll have more leadership and teaching experience, more volunteering, better chance at selling my house, and much stronger letters of rec. plus, I'm having a life outside of work and really enjoying myself at the same time.

OP, I understand slowing down can be frustrating. I just made that difficult decision myself, along with figuring out which MCAT to take among other things. At first I was pretty disappointed that I've essentially delayed two years, but now I'm realizing it was probably one of the smartest things I could have done. I'll have more dedicated time to prep for the MCAT, more time to do ECs, I'll have more leadership and teaching experience, more volunteering, better chance at selling my house, and much stronger letters of rec. plus, I'm having a life outside of work and really enjoying myself at the same time.

I think you are absolutely right. I need to take it a bit slower. I mean I have taken this long, there is no reason to rush things. I want to make sure I get some good volunteering this fall and get some review in on some of my old chemistry and maybe get a headstart on some ochem/biology if I can. I'll be ready for the Spring. I also want to see if I can switch my role at my job to something a little less stressful. Currently, I work with customers and sometimes I have to travel a few days at a time and work 60hr weeks. I want to try to get in a more comfortable 40-50hr a week job with more flexible hours so I can make sure I can devote the time necessary to my prereqs. Working a bit longer, I might be able to save some cash or pay off the rest of my undergrad debt before acquiring this additional debt so that's a plus :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure admission for the Fall is closed. I am trying to talk to an advisor to see if anything can be done but I'm doubting it.

Hi! Glad to hear someone is on the same (or similar) boat as I am. :)

We are at the same age and I'm applying for my second bachelor's degree. Hoping to get into med school by 2017 or 2018. :)

Anyway, it won't be too late for some schools. Most of the schools I have looked at have deadlines for applications for post baccalaureates (applying similarly as transfer students) 1 month before the first day of instruction.

Then there is also another school that requires acceptance of the offer for admission by August 1. It seems to be somewhat of an outlier though.

You have a huge weakness in schedule 1. I like your plan, but I think it is delayed too much. You plan to study for MCAT in the summer, however you should realistically have your MCAT taken by May at the latest, so you can have your application verified and submitted as early in the application process as possible. You do not want to have your AMCAS get verified in September, because you are already way behind the curve.

I also worked full time in Engineering while pursuing a similar plan. I studied for the MCAT the entire time I was taking classes. It is the only way you will be able to work it in between classes. I chose to do it on the weekend after I finished my regular course work.

You will also be filling out secondaries, and if your MCAT score is 30 or lower I would suggest you keep studying to take it again because you have a possibility of not getting accepted the first time around.

Just a few things to think about.

I firmly believe in applying with the best possible app, even if in means delaying your applications cycle.

Here are a few proposed schedules for me just starting out as a nontraditional student. I won't be able to enroll in classes until Spring 2015. I am 27 so I really want to get into med school as soon as possible. I have chem1&2, physics, and math under my belt from undergrad/grad school. Keep in mind I am currently working full-time as an engineer.

Schedule 1 and 2 assume I continue to work full-time as an engineer

Schedule 1 - relaxed
Fall 2014:
Review old chemistry/physics
Spring 2015: Organic chem & Biology class
Summer 2015: possibly something like psychology/sociology/biochem depending on what is offered
Spring 2016: Any other prereqs that I feel like might help me such as psychology/sociology/biochem depending on what I was able to take in the Summer 2015
Summer 2016: Study my butt off for MCAT
Fall 2016: apply to med school
Spring 2017: wait....

Schedule 2 - aggressive
Fall 2014 (starting now basically): Start studying psychology/sociology/biochem & reviewing old chemistry/physics
Spring 2015: Take organic chem & biology
Summer 2015: Take a weakness area class such as psychology/sociology/biochem depending on results of practice MCATs. Also - study my butt off for the MCAT
Fall 2015: Take MCAT. Take Organic chem 2 & 2nd biology class. Might want to delay MCAT to late Fall to ensure I get as much organic 2 and biology 2 as possible?
Spring 2016: Do nothing if MCAT was good and was accepted otherwise either take a weakness area class or study more for MCAT.
Summer 2016: Wait for it...

Schedule 3 assumes I quit my job this Spring and go at this thing full force by going into an organized postbac program

Schedule 3 - Organized Postbac
Fall 2014: work/study for MCAT/study weakness areas/review chemistry physics
Spring 2015: Take biochem and psychology/sociology
Summer 2015: Take General chem 1 and 2 with labs
Fall 2015: Intro to cellular & molecular bio with lab. Organic Chem 1, Gen physics 1
Spring 2016: Genetics, organic chem 2, general physics 2
Summer 2016: Possibly anatomy, physiology, biochem, or just study for MCAT.
Fall 2016: apply to med school
Spring 2017: go back as engineer for $$?
Summer 2017: go back as engineer $$?
Fall 2017: MED STUDENT

Schedule 3 seems bad since I don't want to really quit my job and have a full year of doing nothing. Maybe I could take my MCAT earlier, but I don't think I'd be prepared since this program requires me to retake general chemistry and phyics. However, this option probably would produce the highest MCAT score but most debt.

I'm leaning towards trying schedule 2 (aggressive), but it also makes me nervous taking the MCAT without all the prereqs done.

I did a 'relaxed' post-bacc myself while working full time for half of it. If I had tried to condense it, I wouldn't have had any time to gain clinical experience or go to professors' office hours, etc. These things are as necessary as the pre-reqs.

Also would advise against MCAT before pre-reqs are complete. My MCAT featured Organic 2 content.

Be careful taking the MCAT too late in schedule 1. You want to be able to submit your primary by the end of June if possible. If you're still waiting to hear back about your MCAT you might end up waiting longer. I wouldn't wait to take it till after mid may. Fill in the rest of your primary and send it in once you get your MCAT.

Hi all,

I've taken feedback into account and the fact that I could still enroll in the Fall 2014 and have updated my schedules/information below! Let me know if you feel any differently with this new information!

*UPDATE* I found out that I can still enroll for the Fall 2014. It may be difficult to get the time slots I want since the continuing education people get last choice. I think it would be unwise to take two classes my first semester since I don't know how that will mesh with my work schedule. I am still throwing around the idea of not enrolling in the Fall and sorting things out with volunteering and making sure this is what I want to do. I've updated my schedule to reflect this. */END UPDATE*

Schedule 1 - relaxed
Summer 2014:
Review old chemistry in preparation for organic chemistry
Fall 2014: Organic Chem 1
Spring 2015: Biology Class
Spring 2016: Any other prereqs that I feel like might help me such as psychology/sociology/biochem depending on what I was able to take in the Summer 2015. Could potentially take nothing this semester and study for MCAT exclusively.
Summer 2016: Take MCAT and apply to schools.

Schedule 2 - aggressive
Summer 2014 (July-Aug): Review old chemistry/physics/biology to prep for Fall 2014.
Fall 2014 (starting now basically): Take Organic Chem 1 and in free time study psychology/biochem.
Spring 2015: Take Organic Chem 2 and a Biology course. Prep for MCAT
Summer 2015: Take MCAT at the beginning of the summer. Take second Biology course and focus on volunteer and applying for Med schools in June.
Fall 2015: Retake MCAT if needed. Otherwise finish up prereqs such as psychology or biochem
Summer 2016: Retake MCAT in May if needed...otherwise plan to start Med school in Fall

Honestly it really boils down to whether you feel ready or not. We could give you all the advice in the world, but it may not be what works for you.

As for the MCAT- if you're applying MD, I definitely wouldn't take it any later than May. It takes about 30 days to get results, and you want to make sure you apply as early as possible. I would try and get verified by June/early July maybe. As for DO you may have a little more time, but I still suggest taking the MCAT no later than June.

People suggest studying no more than four months in advance for you MCAT, otherwise you will begin to forget information. It just is too much and you'll likely get burned out. Personally, I think your "aggressive" schedule is pretty reasonable. Again though, it depends on what works for you as a person. Don't take it before you're ready!

It sounds like I'll have until late August to decide if I want to enroll in the Fall. Assuming I can get buy-in from my manager I see myself trying to take at least organic chemistry.

I talked to my mentor at work today who is very high up on the technical path and he was amazing and supportive. He told me if I truly am passionate about it I should go for it. He said I definitely don't want to regret not going for it and work is way easier when it doesn't feel like work and you have a passion. It felt really good to hear that from him.

I tried to tell my manager but he left too soon before I could catch him.

I'm meeting with an advisor on Friday over the phone to get some advice and to see which classes I would still need to take to gain admittance into the campus in Denver. Here's to hoping that goes well.

Stay tuned...

Hi guys! You may have bee wondering what happened to me. I decided to enroll in a class this Fall and get the ball rolling. My advisor suggested I take biology first instead of organic chem. I guess the requirements for a lot of schools will be changing and she said it would be wise to hold off on organic chem for now. Also organic chem would be much harder for my first semester than biology. I'm taking a harder biology class though...it is molecular and cellular biology instead of your general biology. I had my first class today and I'm pretty excited! Here is my schedule going forward

Fall 2014 (starting now basically): Molecular and Cellular Biology + lab
Spring 2015: Genetics + lab
Summer 2015: Psychology and Sociology at community college (should be easier)
Fall 2015: Organic Chem + lab
Spring 2016: Biochem + MCAT prep
Summer 2016: Take MCAT and apply