Is it worth it to keep volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotADoctor1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying for the 2023-2024 cycle, and I want to set myself up to be competitive top schools. The rest of my application is pretty strong (GPA, clinical employment, research with publications, leadership/teaching, interesting non-medical ECs), but I feel like my volunteering just 'checks the box' and might hold me back a bit as a result. I have been volunteering in at-home hospice care, and I've been seeing the same patient for almost a year and have grown very close to him, but he recently passed away, hence why I want to step away.

In terms of hours, I have ~80 hours of clinical volunteering in a hospital, ~140 non-clinical hours volunteering at a blood bank during the early part of covid, and hospice volunteering which is around 120 hours so far. If I kept volunteering like I have been for 3 hours a week, this would add around 90 more hours to my volunteering, giving around 350 total non-clinical volunteer hours (rather than 260). Should I keep going, or is it fine to step away?

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on applying for the 2023-2024 cycle, and I want to set myself up to be competitive top schools. The rest of my application is pretty strong (GPA, clinical employment, research with publications, leadership/teaching, interesting non-medical ECs), but I feel like my volunteering just 'checks the box' and might hold me back a bit as a result. I have been volunteering in at-home hospice care, and I've been seeing the same patient for almost a year and have grown very close to him, but he recently passed away, hence why I want to step away.

In terms of hours, I have ~80 hours of clinical volunteering in a hospital, ~140 non-clinical hours volunteering at a blood bank during the early part of covid, and hospice volunteering which is around 120 hours so far. If I kept volunteering like I have been for 3 hours a week, this would add around 90 more hours to my volunteering, giving around 350 total non-clinical volunteer hours (rather than 260). Should I keep going, or is it fine to step away?
If you are trying for "top schools", then you are right thinking your volunteering so far just checks the box. Commitment beyond the minimum is an important trait, and your hours as described are minimally satisfactory IMO.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
You might want to change it up as hospice is in that gray zone between clinical and non-clinical. Consider working with people who are unhoused, those with low literacy, recent immigrants and refugees, kids from families with few resources who need mentors, coaches or tutors.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to change it up as hospice is in that gray zone between clinical and non-clinical. Consider working with people who are unhoused, those with low literacy, recent immigrants and refugees, kids from families with few resources who need mentors, coaches or tutors.
Thank you for the feedback! I plan to classify the hospice volunteering as non-clinical because I spent most of the time in the patient's home rather than in a medical facility surrounded by medical professionals. Do you think pivoting to another commitment that's more clearly non-clinical (like the examples you mentioned) and getting 90 or so additional hours would make a meaningful difference for my application? I worry that bouncing around several shorter-term commitments might be a bad look

If you are trying for "top schools", then you are right thinking your volunteering so far just checks the box. Commitment beyond the minimum is an important trait, and your hours as described are minimally satisfactory IMO.
Thanks for the feedback! I definitely see what you mean. If the other components of my application are stronger and demonstrate long-term commitment and dedication, do you think that might compensate for my volunteering being on the weaker side?

Having one more EC with people who aren't in hospice, would give you an experience with people unlike yourself and provide you with yet another learning experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree your current volunteering is near the bottom of the acceptable range. I would consider continuing to volunteer, but find something that is useful and interesting to you, not just to adcoms. Think about what will be good for your career and your ability to work with patients, not just your medical school application. Is there a particular underserved community you're less experienced with that you'd like to learn more about? Is there a health-adjacent field like literacy, food insecurity, etc. that piques your interest?

Reactions: 4 users
I feel for you. Really tough to have any patient pass, especially one you knew well and for quite some time.

IMO, if you're going to step away then you'll need to have a practiced explanation for why you are leaving. Admissions teams are going to see this and think "this person saw their out and they took it," whereas if you stay for a while longer then you'll have adequate data to show that you're actually interested in caring for patients and their families as they undergo hospice.

A brief stint, despite your intentions, may be interpreted as someone interested in hitting a nebulous "hour requirement" rather than doing work that accurately reflects their mission to patients and motivation for medical school. Which one would you rather have as your doctor?

Reactions: 2 users
I feel for you. Really tough to have any patient pass, especially one you knew well and for quite some time.

IMO, if you're going to step away then you'll need to have a practiced explanation for why you are leaving. Admissions teams are going to see this and think "this person saw their out and they took it," whereas if you stay for a while longer then you'll have adequate data to show that you're actually interested in caring for patients and their families as they undergo hospice.

A brief stint, despite your intentions, may be interpreted as someone interested in hitting a nebulous "hour requirement" rather than doing work that accurately reflects their mission to patients and motivation for medical school. Which one would you rather have as your doctor?
As a former hospice volunteer, I know that it can be emotionally very difficult to take on a new patient too soon after your patient has died. Perhaps OP could stay with hospice but volunteer for office work until they are ready to work with a new patient.