Is it worth it to take 1 upper div bio course (I already graduated)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated already with an environment studies major. I want to take an upper div bio through extension since I haven't taken any so far and didn't do to great in my prereq bio classes (B+/C+; I got A's in chem/math, b+'s physics). I already work and am pretty busy, so can only fit the 1 course. If so, that will increase my science gpa from 3.51 to 3.54 (my culm is at a 3.7). Is it worth it to even take that 1 class? The thing is, I want to apply this cycle (so it would be during the spring quarter I take it).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is worth it to considering to take a few, not simply to increase your GPA by a small percent, but by showing that you can do upper level work and that you are continuing to do something that indicates motivation and commitment. Every course taken after you have a degree, will show up as part of your overall GPA as well as on a separate postbacc line.
Well I don't want to delay my app another year, so do you recommend I taking some during the summer instead and sending update letters?

No, I suggest you apply and during your gap year you take a course, continue some volunteering, and/or other activities so that you can show a continuing motivation and commitment. It a very least serves a purpose if you get any question at an interview what are you doing now, you can say something along the above lines. It also helps if you become a reapplicant, your have bolstered your application a bit
thanks for your feedback! so definitely apply this cycle, but continue taking courses both sessions for the summer and maybe fall and send those as updates! thank you!

any input @Catalystik :)?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
so definitely apply this cycle, but continue taking courses both sessions for the summer and maybe fall and send those as updates! thank you!

any input @Catalystik :)?
I agree with taking an upper-level Bio class this spring before you apply, as an A on the postbac line will look good. Keep taking a BCPM class each term through the application cycle, if you can manage it. But also stay involved in pertinent ECs as well. Even an hour a week adds up over time and gives you something to report on Secondaries, at interview conversations, and for update letters. If you end up reapplying, you'll be in a stronger position a year from now. If you get an acceptance, the upper-level Bio you've gotten under your belt will make the first year less overwhelming.

Reactions: 1 user
As a caveat, anything you take from here on out plan to put it the time and effort to ace it. What you don't want is to take any questions adcoms might have had from you prior record and confirm for them that you are still a B/C range student.

Reactions: 1 users