Is my application competitive enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greeneyes2000

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am super nervous about getting into optometry school and if I am applying too late for my stats.
I got OAT scores of:
QR: 340
RC: 390
BIO: 300
GC: 340
OC: 290
PHY: 270
AA: 320
TS: 300
I graduated with a 3.49 GPA and have experience as an optometric tech for 1.5 years. I am working on retaking my second A&P class during my gap year due to getting a D in it because of a mistake. I have 2 optometrists and a bio professor writing my LORs.
I am wondering if my OAT is good enough (not getting 300 on all sections) combined with the fact that I have to retake a pre-requisite class. I am trying to have my applications in by the end of September...let me know what you think about my chances and any advice you have for a not so strong applicant! Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I am super nervous about getting into optometry school and if I am applying too late for my stats.
I got OAT scores of:
QR: 340
RC: 390
BIO: 300
GC: 340
OC: 290
PHY: 270
AA: 320
TS: 300
I graduated with a 3.49 GPA and have experience as an optometric tech for 1.5 years. I am working on retaking my second A&P class during my gap year due to getting a D in it because of a mistake. I have 2 optometrists and a bio professor writing my LORs.
I am wondering if my OAT is good enough (not getting 300 on all sections) combined with the fact that I have to retake a pre-requisite class. I am trying to have my applications in by the end of September...let me know what you think about my chances and any advice you have for a not so strong applicant! Thanks!! :)
Address that D for sure. What were your grades in OC, Physics, and your college math courses?

State of legal residence, and school list?

Reactions: 1 user
Address that D for sure. What were your grades in OC, Physics, and your college math courses?

State of legal residence, and school list?
OC: A
physics I: B
physics II: C
Math: A
State is ND and schools are ICO, CCO, MCPHS, AZCOPT, UIW

Last edited:
Your OAT score is pretty decent! Especially considering your GPA which I think makes up for the lower OAT score, and your experience. You should be fine. Just focus on the rest of your application and interviews! Good luck

Reactions: 1 user