Is my reason for not picking pod justifiable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lg245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really like what pods do and can see myself really enjoying the professoin but I really don't like the mandatory residency. I hear about the attrition rates and how residents have sleepless nights working all day, they are basically getting abused. I have a family member who is a MD and doing her residency, she looks like she is a zombie and has aged alot. I don't wanna lose my sanity, I rather just do 4 years and not have to worry about going through another application cycle to get a residency spot. I view it as another hurdle they force you to go through. Also my interests are not necessarily in surgery I rather do minimal surgery or none, deal more with general pod care other than surgery, orthotics, and i love how it ties in with sport medicine. What is your guys opinions on this?

Members don't see this ad.

At least one of year residency training is required in most states. There are several "styles " of residency: hospital based, private practice based etc with varying schedules ho[e this helps

At this point, 3 years of postgraduate Podiatry residency program is mandatory and do not forsee that this wll change in the near future since one of the Podiatry Certification Board (eg ABPS) is requiring a minimal of 3 years of residency training to be eligibile to take the board certification exam starting 2019. I am assuming that the other cerfication boards (such as ABPM) may follow suit in the future.

As for residency programs, there are many different styles of residency programs out there, as mildoc2016 pointed out. There are Podiatry residency programs that might be more family friendly. Obviously, the heavy surgical load Podiatry residency programs or Podiatry residency programs at Level 1 or 2 trauma centers are less likely family friendly. There are also Podiatry residency programs that might have a heavier emphasis on sports medicine or wound care, etc.... These programs do exist and if you look hard enough, you will find them.

I hope that this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like what pods do and can see myself really enjoying the professoin but I really don't like the mandatory residency. I hear about the attrition rates and how residents have sleepless nights working all day, they are basically getting abused. I have a family member who is a MD and doing her residency, she looks like she is a zombie and has aged alot. I don't wanna lose my sanity, I rather just do 4 years and not have to worry about going through another application cycle to get a residency spot. I view it as another hurdle they force you to go through. Also my interests are not necessarily in surgery I rather do minimal surgery or none, deal more with general pod care other than surgery, orthotics, and i love how it ties in with sport medicine. What is your guys opinions on this?

I recommend dentistry or optometry for you, with strong favor for optometry since it comes across like you do not really want to do procedures. Both are medical in practice, require 4-year doctorates, and do not have mandatory residencies. Both can have an element of retail (just like podiatry), and both can be highly lifestyle-friendly, just like podiatry. These are logical alternatives to consider based upon what you communicated.

Last edited:
Physician assistant is another career option you could look into. Less schooling (2 years after undergrad), no residency, still makes good money (80-100k I think?) Probably the most similar to MD or DPM profession as well. Seems like a lot of people are going PA, and for those reasons.

PA's also are not licensed to do surgeries so you won't have to worry about that

Reactions: 1 user