Is orientation supposed to scare you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greyangel6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got past orientation week this week. And I am having a freak-out moment. There were so much information. There were so many rules. There were too many course abbreviations that I don't know which one is biochem or which one is gross or dental anatomy (all courses start with DEN-number). There were names of places that I have no familiarity with but they keep dropping them. There were too many conflicting information about buying books vs not buying books. There were too many inputs on how to study vs how you're only playing catch-up (from upperclassmen). There were too many classmates who call for parties and mixers every single day of orientation week. There were way too many people calling out gunners, loners, etc. and lecturing how to become a dental family.

I am also having dilemma with transportation as the bus almost always is full and just passes by the stop (and it takes 20min to go 2 miles), biking is not so realistic when it rains 4 out of the 5 weekdays (even though it takes about 15min of biking to get to school), and parking is $80/semester and the parking lot is 15min walk to the dental building while it takes 7min to drive to school.

Is orientation supposed to scare people off? Or is it just me feeling like it's high school all over again (I dreaded high school)? Idk if I'm having an anxiety attack or what... Any reassuring inputs, thoughts, etc. are all appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of orientation information is usually on a website, if you cant find it ask how to find it. They should have given you something printed. In regards to books - ask upper classmates. Take your time and go over everything, do not be shy to ask questions
Do you already have a car? Do you have a budget to maintain it, as well as for the parking? What climate are you in? Is it realistic and safe to bike or walk with a proper attire?
You will be fine

No, orientation is not suppose to scare you. How are you going to be a navy officer you are intimidated by this? I don't want to be mean, but do you actually have anxiety issues? I don't see how the fact that your classmates likes to drink and party is a concern for you. I am sure your school offers free counseling service to their students.

95% of the information during orientation is just formality. If and when you need to know those information, they will repeat it to you. You guarantee you that you will figure out these things eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got past orientation week this week. And I am having a freak-out moment. There were so much information. There were so many rules. There were too many course abbreviations that I don't know which one is biochem or which one is gross or dental anatomy (all courses start with DEN-number). There were names of places that I have no familiarity with but they keep dropping them. There were too many conflicting information about buying books vs not buying books. There were too many inputs on how to study vs how you're only playing catch-up (from upperclassmen). There were too many classmates who call for parties and mixers every single day of orientation week. There were way too many people calling out gunners, loners, etc. and lecturing how to become a dental family.

I am also having dilemma with transportation as the bus almost always is full and just passes by the stop (and it takes 20min to go 2 miles), biking is not so realistic when it rains 4 out of the 5 weekdays (even though it takes about 15min of biking to get to school), and parking is $80/semester and the parking lot is 15min walk to the dental building while it takes 7min to drive to school.

Is orientation supposed to scare people off? Or is it just me feeling like it's high school all over again (I dreaded high school)? Idk if I'm having an anxiety attack or what... Any reassuring inputs, thoughts, etc. are all appreciated.
'

I thought I was the only one :cigar:, I stopped going after the first lunch meeting. Didn't want to my lunch period to be taken hostage all week. And I stopped going to social gatherings after the 2nd one because I'm still trying to set a foundation for everything, study wise.

Just do you, study the best you can and ignore all the panic around you. To be honest, I almost cried a few times during the first/second week. Its a bit overwhelming, but hang in there.

Maybe get a motorcyle or live closer to the school? I'm literally right across from my school, I leave every morning 10 before before starting time :p. A bit expensive, but I enjoy my convenience and peace of mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
No, orientation is not suppose to scare you. How are you going to be a navy officer you are intimidated by this? I don't want to be mean, but do you actually have anxiety issues? I don't see how the fact that your classmates likes to drink and party is a concern for you. I am sure your school offers free counseling service to their students.

95% of the information during orientation is just formality. If and when you need to know those information, they will repeat it to you. You guarantee you that you will figure out these things eventually.

I think that's a bit uncalled for. I haven't been through a DS orientation, but I could imagine there's a lot to take in, and OP just needs some reassurance. That doesn't mean he won't be able to hack it on the mil side. I'll also point out that the military does a pretty good job of training people to adapt to stress in their indoc training. I don't know what the attrition rates are for HPSP students, but I imagine it's very low. Take my opinion FWIW, but I am a six year active duty Captain, USMC.

To OP: I'm a pre-dent, so I can't really speak to what you're going through. If I recall correctly, you're at UF? I did my undergrad there, and I'm a bit familiar with the DS. If I was in your shoes, I'd try to make a friend that I could bounce these issues off of for a sanity check. I'd imagine they'd probably be feeling some pressure too. You're starting four years of probably the most rigorous training you've been through up to this point; it'd be weird not to feel a little bit of a crunch. That being said, a common phrase on the mil side is "fake it until you make it", so you can also try keeping your composure. You might find that people who are stressing out like you are see that and reach out to you.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that's a bit uncalled for. I haven't been through a DS orientation, but I could imagine there's a lot to take in, and OP just needs some reassurance. That doesn't mean he won't be able to hack it on the mil side. I'll also point out that the military does a pretty good job of training people to adapt to stress in their indoc training. I don't know what the attrition rates are for HPSP students, but I imagine it's very low. Take my opinion FWIW, but I am a six year active duty Captain, USMC.

To OP: I'm a pre-dent, so I can't really speak to what you're going through. If I recall correctly, you're at UF? I did my undergrad there, and I'm a bit familiar with the DS. If I was in your shoes, I'd try to make a friend that I could bounce these issues off of for a sanity check. I'd imagine they'd probably be feeling some pressure too. You're starting four years of probably the most rigorous training you've been through up to this point; it'd be weird not to feel a little bit of a crunch. That being said, a common phrase on the mil side is "fake it until you make it", so you can also try keeping your composure. You might find that people who are stressing out like you are see that and reach out to you.
You're right. I think I was a bit harsh. Personally speaking, I went through DS orientation already and it was a whole week at my school. I know I am not in OP's shoes, but speaking from my perspective I don't know how anyone can be stressed out during orientation like this. They kept throwing information at us but there was absolutely zero pressure to know any of those information by heart. Orientation is suppose to ease you into dental school; that's the whole point of orientation. This is just my opinion, but orientation week at my dental school was one of the easiest week of my life. They pretty much hold your hand throughout the whole week and speak to us as if we're five for 8 hours at a time; all you have to do is just show up.

Example: "There were too many course abbreviations that I don't know which one is biochem or which one is gross or dental anatomy (all courses start with DEN-number). "

Unlike UG where you have to pick your classes and meet your requirements to graduate, dental school plans out the whole schedule for you. Just show up according to your calendar. It's that simple. Worrying about what code your classes are just unnecessary stress.

You just have to take things step by step. I am confident that the UF administration planned out your whole 4 year already. You just have to trust them.

edit: I stand by the statement of seeking counseling from earlier by the way. That's what counseling service is there for. I know some people think that it is stigmatizing to seek help for anxiety, but I dont think there should be any shame in doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Orientation week for us was hell. We actually had lectures during that week on top of all the B.S. speakers and all. I remember feeling that my class was kind of asocial at that point in time as people weren't really that friendly and down to meet new people. And boy did I turn out to be right. The most important thing you need to take out of orientation week, is making sure you got all your supplies, furniture at home is ready, know you way around the area. Don't worry about all the social B.S events. Better to take things easy and slow when interacting and socializing with your new classmates, than to take things too quickly and screw up your first impression.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I lost my composure for that day haha because of the pressure I put on myself unnecessarily. When the school just gave me a stack of paper stapled together and said that this is my schedule for the Fall without explaining which class is which and told us to do an exercise of planning out our schedule for the next 2-3 weeks (that's when the first set of exams hit), I felt big pressure haha because I wasn't as familiar with the course names/ID and schedules yet.

Same for social events, the student body is only 93 people, and when I say no (and did many times), I just feel like I'm a party-pooper. My classmates think I'm just creating drama and that's not my intention so it created some awkwardness and pressure haha.

I think my experience with this orientation was stressful because I wasn't so open-minded. But I will definitely try to relax just a bit and get ready for the real dental stuff haha. Again thanks guys.

can the people in here who chose not to attend social events during orientation explain why? do you not want to make friends with the people you'll be with the next 4 years? i'm not trying to sound rude here, but if i moved far from home to a new school with all new faces, i feel like that's a pretty significant part of orientation week...

Orientation week for us was hell. We actually had lectures during that week on top of all the B.S. speakers and all. I remember feeling that my class was kind of asocial at that point in time as people weren't really that friendly and down to meet new people. And boy did I turn out to be right. The most important thing you need to take out of orientation week, is making sure you got all your supplies, furniture at home is ready, know you way around the area. Don't worry about all the social B.S events. Better to take things easy and slow when interacting and socializing with your new classmates, than to take things too quickly and screw up your first impression.
what school has hell week orientation lol

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I lost my composure for that day haha because of the pressure I put on myself unnecessarily. When the school just gave me a stack of paper stapled together and said that this is my schedule for the Fall without explaining which class is which and told us to do an exercise of planning out our schedule for the next 2-3 weeks (that's when the first set of exams hit), I felt big pressure haha because I wasn't as familiar with the course names/ID and schedules yet.

Same for social events, the student body is only 93 people, and when I say no (and did many times), I just feel like I'm a party-pooper. My classmates think I'm just creating drama and that's not my intention so it created some awkwardness and pressure haha.

I think my experience with this orientation was stressful because I wasn't so open-minded. But I will definitely try to relax just a bit and get ready for the real dental stuff haha. Again thanks guys.

Damn man. It's the first week, the easiest time to make friends and after that it only gets harder. Everyone will form the cliques at those parties and you'll be known as "that guy." The exact thing they lectured against, you will become.

can the people in here who chose not to attend social events during orientation explain why? do you not want to make friends with the people you'll be with the next 4 years? i'm not trying to sound rude here, but if i moved far from home to a new school with all new faces, i feel like that's a pretty significant part of orientation week...

So... when there is a lot coming at you all at once, new information to absorb and begin implementing very quickly, new routines to adapt to, new housing to find your way around in the middle of the night... it can be very overwhelming.

Some people cope through commiseration and socializing.
Some people cope through going off by themselves to process all the new stimuli.

I hate to fall back on that whole introvert/extrovert thing, but some people just have more desire to socialize while stressed than others. If you are going to be together for 4 years, there will be time to hang out in the future. You don't meet EVERY person you are going to get to know well and rely upon during that first week. You don't even have time to get to know everyone who does turn up for the events. So, enjoy those who do, and look forward to making even more new friends as they get around to introducing themselves to you.

*shrug. Two days was enough for me. I was also busy moving in,(I moved in 2 days before orientation). I had furniture to set up and cleaning to do. On top of that, I'm trying to go back home once a month for a weekend and have the lady come over too once/twice a month. So I need to already start running when it comes to studying. You want to see me down and feeling alone? Put me behind on my studies.

Plus you make friends/get to know people during actual classes and especially during gross anatomy groups. I have people calling my name that I don't even remember seeing before >.>. Things happen naturally one way or another.

What class do you even go to OP? They sound real swell.

Damn man. It's the first week, the easiest time to make friends and after that it only gets harder. Everyone will form the cliques at those parties and you'll be known as "that guy." The exact thing they lectured against, you will become.

"Everyone" won't form cliques that are so standoffish and insular as to label someone they didn't meet first week as "that guy."

A few people will be stuck in that kind of high school mentality, but despite their illusions, in professional school, no one is hanging around the fringes of their group hoping to be noticed by one of the cool kids. "That guy" also has friends, or will make them shortly if he wants them.

If you are just friendly and helpful to people, and willing to approach others to ask for help yourself, you will have no difficulty to make friends at any stage of the game.

Don't worry son. Everything will be just fine.
1437.gif

I just completed my first week. 2nd if you include orientation. You sound like you are over stressing way too much about this. Have a drink lol

You make a good point, but trust me, with all of the time you will be spending together with your classmates, you will all be good friends soon...actually more like family members since you will see them alot more often than your family.