Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a bachelors of science in biological sciences with a GPA of 2.45. I've dreamed of optometry school since high school but college was not a walk in the park. Unfortunate and impactful event happened each year of my college career that made it difficult for me to pass with an A/B. Luckily, I made it to the end and graduated but with a low GPA. I still have a desire to become an optometrist. I took a break after graduating by working at a local optometry office and shadowing ophthalmologists/optometrists. I put my dreams on the back burner as I am discouraged by my GPA. I'll never forget how discouraging my under grad advisor was. BUT with much experience after working and shadowing, I am confident that this is what I want to do.

I know I need a high OAT score and I need to raise my GPA. I plan on retaking some most of my undergrad courses. If I graduated already, would retaking these courses boost my GPA? Would schools see that I've taken a class multiple times and would it look bad? Are C's acceptable? Should I email admissions for the best course of action? Or should I email my undergrad advisors? Last but most importantly, is pursing my dream possible and attainable???
Have you talked with admissions officers at your closest optometry schools? Connected with students?

Members don't see this ad.

Not 100% sure how GPA is calculated for optometry school, but you need to check on how the retaken course is factored into your GPA. For example, is the old grade completely removed and the new grade entered? Is it an average of the two? Do they even factor in the new grade for GPA or only the old? This could all change which classes you decide to retake.

All these questions can (most likely) be answered by contacting optometry schools you are interested in. I would hate to see you take a bunch of time retaking courses cause people on SDN said it’s a good idea and then the schools basically don’t care.

Status
Not open for further replies.