Is pursuing Medicine out of my destiny?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDVishal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US IMG Caribbean Medical student. I have to give the school NBME to get the Step 1 permit. I wanna know if there's any possibilities for me to transfer to US Medical school any year, am not picky about that.I don't have a Bachelor degree from US either I gave a MCAT. I just went 1 year college in US then got accepted in to Caribbean medical school. Now I feel like its not a good thing I did. But I got a Masters degree from that this school in MHS don't know if that's is worth anything. I've noticed that NEOMED has a opening for 2nd year transfer and I'm a state resident, don't know even if I should bother applying there?

*Please no rude comments. I'm kind of frustrated because my parents are angry with me as they were the one who paid my fee's.

Please let me know what should I do? Can my destiny shine again if I happen to get somewhere in the states?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your stats? I think its worth trying, NEOMED often takes carib students I've heard.

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
It is not an easy task, which I'm sure you know. Most schools do not accept transfer students from the Caribbean. Requirements vary by each school, and the year in which you are transferring into. For instance, NEOMED requirements:

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m sorry, but possibility of transferring to the US is basically 0%. Even the possibility of transferring between US schools is very low, so...
Also, Caribbean schools aren’t accredited by LCME or COCA which are the accrediting bodies in the US. That in and of itself make it impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I’m sorry, but possibility of transferring to the US is basically 0%. Even the possibility of transferring between US schools is very low, so...
Also, Caribbean schools aren’t accredited by LCME or COCA which are the accrediting bodies in the US. That in and of itself make it impossible.

A friend of mine went to a Caribbean school and had several classmates transfer to U.S. schools. He was considering it himself, but in the end decided it was not worth essentially adding an extra year of schooling in order to reconcile the new school's graduation requirements just to obtain a more prestigious residency. The people he told me about who did transfer seemed to have great stats, and wanted to pursue specialties that were practically impossible to obtain as an IMG.

• Wow
What are your stats? I think its worth trying, NEOMED often takes carib students I've heard.

This was long time ago though. Do they still do it?

EDIT: just read OP's post. I guess it's still a thing :shrug:

It sounds like you don’t have a bachelors degree. Forget US med school, most state licensing boards require some form of collegiate degree.

OP, did you do any research into how any of this stuff works before you took a plunge right in? Because it sounds like you haven't the slightest idea about what you're doing.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
This was long time ago though. Do they still do it?

EDIT: just read OP's post. I guess it's still a thing :shrug:
NEOMEDs page said you need a bachelors to start with.. and im assuming you’d have to be impressive at your current institution

OP, did you do any research into how any of this stuff works before you took a plunge right in? Because it sounds like you haven't the slightest idea about what you're doing.
[/QUOTE
I believe going to medical school without completing my undergrad at OSU was my worst mistake. I guess this university didn’t require MCAT and give direct admission with out it. One of my friend mentioned to me by 2023 some Caribbean medical school will lose accreditation in US and Canada. Also said to me try to apply in the states as DO or MD. :lame:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can try. Your chances are better if you have high grades and a good step score (which you will need to even begin to think about transferring).

But I'm not sure about your thread title. Why do you think pursuing medicine is out of your destiny where you are right now in your training?

It sounds like you don’t have a bachelors degree. Forget US med school, most state licensing boards require some form of collegiate degree.
Not aware of any licensing board that requires a bachelors degree...

However, it will be difficult for OP to transfer to a US school with no MCAT and a 3.2 GPA...

Last edited:
I'm sorry but a transfer isn't going to happen without a bachelor's degree, some weird masters from the Caribbean with a 3.2 GPA, and without an MCAT. You absolutely made the wrong choice. If you haven't started medical school yet you can go back to the states and finish your undergraduate degree and reapply with an MCAT, but the transfer will not happen as you stand now.

Reactions: 13 users
As already mentioned, chances are probably slim. However, if you still want to try, I would recommend waiting until after you get a Step 1 score. Might want to e-mail/call some of these schools that do have a transfer option and see how strict the bachelor's requirement is.

Why would OP be dead on arrival?

Assuming he has decent grades why would his history of having attended an offshore school exclude him from consideration?
Ooooh let me take it Goro!

it shows poor planning skills and a lack of insight.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

Assuming he has decent grades why would his history of having attended an offshore school exclude him from consideration?

Also OP doesn't have a bachelors or the pre-requisite work to apply to any MD school in the US. He's in an even worse position than most Carrib students.

Reactions: 6 users
I've noticed that NEOMED has a opening for 2nd year transfer and I'm a state resident, don't know even if I should bother applying there?

Read the requirements on their website
  • Hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college/university or a Canadian university
You would not be eligible.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a US IMG Caribbean Medical student. I have to give the school NBME to get the Step 1 permit. I wanna know if there's any possibilities for me to transfer to US Medical school any year, am not picky about that.I don't have a Bachelor degree from US either I gave a MCAT. I just went 1 year college in US then got accepted in to Caribbean medical school. Now I feel like its not a good thing I did. But I got a Masters degree from that this school in MHS don't know if that's is worth anything. I've noticed that NEOMED has a opening for 2nd year transfer and I'm a state resident, don't know even if I should bother applying there?

*Please no rude comments. I'm kind of frustrated because my parents are angry with me as they were the one who paid my fee's.

Please let me know what should I do? Can my destiny shine again if I happen to get somewhere in the states?
You made a horrible, horrible decision Vishal. I'll tell you straight up- you have ZERO chance of transferring into any US medical school.
At this point, your only chance of practicing medicine is if you complete medical school in the Caribbean and try to match into a US residency. That comes with its own struggles, and that's risky as well. But that's the only way you actually have a shot.
You cannot transfer into a US medical school. You don't even have a bachelor's degree. If you actually want to practice medicine, just finish medical school in the Caribbean and try your best to match into residency.

EDIT:
It seems that you do not even attend a big 4 caribbean school. Honestly it's better for you to just leave and start over. You will gain pretty much nothing from this school and you will lose more and more money for every year you spend there.

Last edited:

1) Transferring between American medical schools is already a near impossibility, but happens INCREDIBLY rarely.
2) Transferring from an OFFSHORE medical school to an American medical school is almost a guaranteed impossibility in the present time, since offshore medical schools are viewed as diploma mills with no legitimacy.
3) OP does not even have a bachelor's degree, which is a minimum requirement to gain admission to medical school in the US. He will not be considered for admission by any medical school in the United States.

Reactions: 2 users

In addition, going to the Carib telegraphs tot he Adcons at a DO school that getting the MD through a spurious route was more important than becoming a DO.

OP, I have a sense that you're not at one of "Big Four" that at least gives some people a chance after making it through the threshing machine that is Carib medical education. A school that doesn't require a UG degree nor MCAT score smells of one of the more fly-by-night predators.

Reactions: 5 users
If OP is not getting US financial aid, he/she can restart in the US all over again... That will require him/her to omit (or lie) that he/she attended college overseas in his application when he is filling out AMCAS/AACOMA.

Last edited:
If OP is not getting US financial aid, he/she can restart in the US all over again... That will require him to omit (or lie) that he/she attended college overseas in his application when he filling out AMCAS/AACOMA.
Terrifically dishonest, and very risky. I don't know whether or not it's possible, but I will say that if such dishonesty is discovered, OP could be easily dismissed from medical school.

Terrifically dishonest, and very risky. I don't know whether or not it's possible, but I will say that if such dishonesty is discovered, OP could be easily dismissed from medical school.
I know it's dishonest. I am not condoning such behavior. I am just telling OP there are other options. If OP is not receiving federal aid, he/she can start all over again and they are unlikely to find out.

Last edited:
OP, I agree that your chances are near zero for this to happen. That said, you don't technically need a bachelor's degree in Texas to gain acceptance. However, it is such a rare event that someone does this that it almost isn't worth mentioning.

In addition, going to the Carib telegraphs tot he Adcons at a DO school that getting the MD through a spurious route was more important than becoming a DO.

OP, I have a sense that you're not at one of "Big Four" that at least gives some people a chance after making it through the threshing machine that is Carib medical education. A school that doesn't require a UG degree nor MCAT score smells of one of the more fly-by-night predators.

That sounds pretty unfair. I get if being a convicted felon excludes you from consideration, but being automatically rejected just because you attended 1-2 semesters at a foreign medical school sounds extreme. Regardless of where you stand on the issue.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds pretty unfair. I get if being a convicted felon excludes you from consideration, but being automatically rejected just because you attended 1-2 semesters at a foreign medical school sounds extreme. Regardless of where you stand on the issue.
1. Note my sig line quoting Moko.
2. Life's not fair.
3 . My DO colleagues get really tired of self-hating DOs

Last edited:
I think others have addressed the possibility of transfer.

I have a question on behalf of OP: might there be another way? What if he left the Caribbean school and applied/started a bachelors degree at a US undergrad, did well, graduated, took MCAT and did well and then applied to US MD and DO schools in 4-5 years? He would have to disclose his island education, but assuming he’s done well there academically, would he have a shot at admission assuming (big assumption) that he’s otherwise a strong applicant?

I’m sure he would get dinged at many schools, but he’s also clearly been duped by a predatory institution that’s going to take more of his money but leave him with no chance of a medical career in the US. I know schools generally frown on people who already matriculated to another school but can we really call a place that requires no UG and no MCAT a school? He clearly jumped the gun and made a bad decision - likely suckered by the promise of a faster MD and skipping a few steps and likely with the pressure/support of his family.

I’m curious if such a reinvention story would have a shot. If nothing else, my sense is that a reputable US bachelors degree is probably more valuable than a fly by night offshore MD. He could major in something else with good job prospects while completing the pre reqs and writing the MCAT and even if rejected from Med schools down the road, would be in less debt and have better career prospects than he does now.

ETA- he hasn’t taken step 1 yet so he hasn’t burned this bridge entirely. Obviously once he starts the licensing exam sequence he has a limited window in which to complete them.

Moral of the story: Don't let your overbearing parents pressure you into making important life choices. Otherwise, things will end up as they did for poor Vishal here.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

I don't think it's too unfair. American students who pursue Caribbean MD tend to have judgement issues or think they're too good for DO.

• Love
I’m confused, you’re going to a medical school and went to college for 1 year? How is that possible?

I’m confused, you’re going to a medical school and went to college for 1 year? How is that possible?

Some caribbean schools have 5/6 year tracks straight from high school as well.

• Wow
I think others have addressed the possibility of transfer.

I have a question on behalf of OP: might there be another way? What if he left the Caribbean school and applied/started a bachelors degree at a US undergrad, did well, graduated, took MCAT and did well and then applied to US MD and DO schools in 4-5 years? He would have to disclose his island education, but assuming he’s done well there academically, would he have a shot at admission assuming (big assumption) that he’s otherwise a strong applicant?

I’m sure he would get dinged at many schools, but he’s also clearly been duped by a predatory institution that’s going to take more of his money but leave him with no chance of a medical career in the US. I know schools generally frown on people who already matriculated to another school but can we really call a place that requires no UG and no MCAT a school? He clearly jumped the gun and made a bad decision - likely suckered by the promise of a faster MD and skipping a few steps and likely with the pressure/support of his family.

I’m curious if such a reinvention story would have a shot. If nothing else, my sense is that a reputable US bachelors degree is probably more valuable than a fly by night offshore MD. He could major in something else with good job prospects while completing the pre reqs and writing the MCAT and even if rejected from Med schools down the road, would be in less debt and have better career prospects than he does now.

ETA- he hasn’t taken step 1 yet so he hasn’t burned this bridge entirely. Obviously once he starts the licensing exam sequence he has a limited window in which to complete them.

I know of a case where a student (after completing a US BS) dropped out of a carib after a year (though not for academic reasons), went back later to take some advanced science classes at the local state school to show proficiency, then was accepted to an LCME school. Extremely rare case, but it's happened. Given that OP was an 18 year old kid who made a dumb decision on parental advice I could see schools being forgiving given some time and maturity if he/she shows academic success upon getting back onto a normal path.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow this is quite the read. We have established the answer to OPs question but in case another would be carib hopeful stumbles upon this thread I have a few questions. OP, how and why did you venture down this path? Also, have you started the medical school instruction orrr what is this MHS? Is it in the med school curriculum? Extra? If you are classified as an MHS student then maybe you haven’t technically matriculated to medical school. Which would allow you to go back and get your bachelors then apply like a regular applicant. This would allow you to check no for “have you ever matriculated to medical school”. But if you are a medical student and taken instruction then no you cant

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I don't think it's too unfair. American students who pursue Caribbean MD tend to have judgement issues or think they're too good for DO.
The person you quoted is a carib graduate lol

• Haha
I know of a case where a student (after completing a US BS) dropped out of a carib after a year (though not for academic reasons), went back later to take some advanced science classes at the local state school to show proficiency, then was accepted to an LCME school. Extremely rare case, but it's happened. Given that OP was an 18 year old kid who made a dumb decision on parental advice I could see schools being forgiving given some time and maturity if he/she shows academic success upon getting back onto a normal path.
I believe that this is the most viable path for the OP

I believe that this is the most viable path for the OP
Yea, if OP doesn't even go to a big 4 school, then this is the most viable option.
I was under the impression that OP goes to a big 4 school (which are also pretty bad, but they're the only ones that people match from at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.