Is pursuing Medicine out of my destiny?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think op still has a route to being a doctor as long as finances is not hindrance. Here is a link to American Association of Naturopathic Physicians' list of licensed programs: Professional Education - Naturopathic Medicine

You have to finish your bachelor's degree first. Maybe partially online so you can be working, whatever. Then research which one of those programs is the BEST (Bastyr University), and apply. Obviously someone will have to fund you, but at the end of the day, I'm guessing you can be making $80,000 a year by 35 and helping people be healthy, as the latter seems to be your dream. That sounds like a 40 year career to me, dream fulfilled.

But please, please, please do research into which school you apply to. Stop wasting your time w/the Carib. There is a less than 0 percent chance to match. Remember you will be a doctor in the end with the ND route, just by a different definition. I was shocked, like even Duke employs an ND, it's a semi-legitimate career, but you have to do well in your bachelor's and choose the right program. You can still have your cake and eat it too, it just might have to be a vegan cake.
OP wants to be a doctor, not a quack peddling nostrums.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
( Naturopathic doctor link ) So this Professor of Clinical Medicine at Arizona is a quack? She's also a fellowship director. She's a graduate of the program I would recommended to OP. I just picked one of a few that popped up with a simple 2 second google search. Again, you might think my advice is nonsense, that's fine, but the most important thing is that OP stops enrolling in the dead end they are in now. That is really, really urgent. Some other better opportunity will present itself.

OP will not be an allopathic doctor, it is clear that is not in their destiny, but naturopathic doctor is still completely on the table. Your destiny can still be to be a doctor in the US. You will be one if you stop letting the Caribbean School scam your family out of all their money. That is the most urgent thing. You can figure out the rest of your life later, even if you think the ND thing is nonsense. But stop going to this school, please I'm begging you. They will tell you anything to get that money.
Some would argue NDs are not doctors

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
( Naturopathic doctor link ) So this Professor of Clinical Medicine at Arizona is a quack? She's also a fellowship director. She's a graduate of the program I would recommended to OP. I just picked one of a few that popped up with a simple 2 second google search. Again, you might think my advice is nonsense, that's fine, but the most important thing is that OP stops enrolling in the dead end they are in now. That is really, really urgent. Some other better opportunity will present itself.
Get me some EBM.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe this was the main reason I wasn't accepted in to there program. Otherwise my PS and secondary essay questions were good. I also had a good recommendation letter, volunteering, hospital, research experiences listed on my resume. I still think they could have considered my application, waived the bachelors requirement but some universities have strict requirements. :)

I've read other people's comments on this thread saying that carribbean students don't get matched. I am not disagreeing with anyone. But I'm wondering how did my cousin sister who went right out of High school to a Aureus Caribbean medical school and is giving her Step 2 exam and her BF who's a graduate of Aureus in October 2019, I'm not sure if he matched into residency yet. I understand every one has different destiny.
You're legitimately in denial bro. Looks like you're going to keep digging your own grave.
I feel sorry for you but this is just frustrating to watch. Whatever ends up happening is on you at this point.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

I can't believe I'm jumping on what is clearly an inflammatory post, but I urge anyone that thinks naturopathy as a viable option to research this. Britt Hermes is a graduate of the very program you are endorsing, and practiced clinically for years. She left the profession (and went on to pursue a PhD) and is now outspoken against it when she realized that it was common practice to import illegal, unapproved substances as a "naturopathic remedy." To call naturopathy quackery is a disgrace to ducks everywhere.

Naturopathy Is 99.9% Bull$hit, But Here’s What That 0.1% Can Teach Us

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I believe this was the main reason I wasn't accepted in to there program. Otherwise my PS and secondary essay questions were good. I also had a good recommendation letter, volunteering, hospital, research experiences listed on my resume. I still think they could have considered my application, waived the bachelors requirement but some universities have strict requirements. :)

I've read other people's comments on this thread saying that carribbean students don't get matched. I am not disagreeing with anyone. But I'm wondering how did my cousin sister who went right out of High school to a Aureus Caribbean medical school and is giving her Step 2 exam and her BF who's a graduate of Aureus in October 2019, I'm not sure if he matched into residency yet. I understand every one has different destiny.

You need to take a step back and look at yourself and your application. You lacked a bachelors degree - basic requirement. Besides that, you previously mentioned you have been dismissed from med school and your Dean is refusing to support your transfer. So were you also missing this letter? Even if you had these things, its still extremely competitive to transfer to NEOMED, no matter how good you think your application is. I think denial is part of the reason you are where you are today.

Sorry to pile on. I agree that your lack of a bachelor's was part of the problem. No school is going to waive this requirement. That's crazy talk. It's an absolute requirement.

Sadly, your Masters from this carib school is basically worthless. It's a meaningless piece of paper that your school decided to give you. No one is going to be impressed by it, esp with a GPA of 3.2.

NEOCOM does take transfers into the third year, mainly because some of their students fail to progress in the curriculum (they take the majority of their students into a BS/MD program right from high school, so have a higher attrition rate). But they take very successful carib transfers -- people who have gone to one of the better schools, who are in the top quartile of their class, and score really well on Step 1. Your application was doomed from the start - no one is going to take you as a transfer when you have failed out of the school you are in.

You appear to have a very poor sense of the problem you now have, so I'm being very clear and direct. Sadly, your best play at this point for any career (not medicine) is to come back to the US and re-start a bachelor's degree. You can try to get a job with this Masters you have, but I doubt that any serious employer will be impressed by it. You are in big trouble -- you've worked yourself into a career dead end.

Reactions: 6 users

As I said, you're only hearing the parts you want to hear and are ignoring the rest.

I'm honestly dumbfounded that you think they should waive the bachelor's requirement because you "PS and secondary essay questions were good." Read that sentence again. If you really believe that writing an essay is more important than academic performance, then I'm not sure what to tell you. This isn't high school anymore--there are no shortcuts, how you perform actually matters, there is no extra credit because you tried really hard, and there are real consequences when you fail.

As others have said, your cousin taking step 2 and her bf "graduating" are not success stories! The goal is to actually obtain a residency, not to simply make it a little further than you did. But regardless, their story doesn't even apply to you because you were kicked out of medical school. So even if they miraculously manage to eventually match, it does not mean that there is a path forward for you.

The ONLY path forward is: 1) come back to the states; 2) resume your bachelor's degree; 3) consider any of the other paths forward mentioned here (nursing, etc) that you can be happy with.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm still wondering...…

1) what school accepts someone with 1 year of undergrad? Do they even know what their high school grades are? I mean a HS grad with a 2.0 might as well go in.
2) Why would someone jump into a no name Carib school without any exam scores, grades, and think that's a good idea?

I'm still wondering...…

1) what school accepts someone with 1 year of undergrad? Do they even know what their high school grades are? I mean a HS grad with a 2.0 might as well go in.
2) Why would someone jump into a no name Carib school without any exam scores, grades, and think that's a good idea?
1) one that is for profit and doesn’t care about anything other than taking tuition from anyone willing to pay.

2) Here I am actually somewhat sympathetic to the OP. He’s getting pressured from his parents to hurry up and become a doctor, plus look his cousin is doing it and is seemingly successful, and all it takes is one grad that the school can plaster on the website... it all seems so very enticing and preys on students who don’t know any better. But it’s time to accept that it really was too good to be true, and move on.

I’ve received a email today, it said I might be eligible for MD3 year after step 1 if they anticipate open seats next year.

I am still thinking why they sent that email when they know I don’t have a bachelors degree.

I took a practice NBME a second time and got a score of 240.

I am still gonna study for the step 1 and try to my resume/application stronger for future. I guess that’s right way.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’ve received a email today, it said I might be eligible for MD3 year after step 1 if they anticipate open seats next year.

I am still thinking why they sent that email when they know I don’t have a bachelors degree.

I am still gonna study for the step 1 and try to my resume/application stronger for future. I guess that’s right way.
Close the thread please. You have literally ignored everyone's advice, and at this point are now wasting our time. You got your answer, so there's no more use in continuing this thread

:corny:
But also::beat: :bang:

Reactions: 1 user

That may be an email sent to all applicants not offered an interview.

If you are going to ignore all other advice and try this route, PLEASE email NEOMED and confirm that they will consider your application for MS3 by waiving the requirement for a Bachelors degree. Otherwise, it is more time and money wasted.

• Love

Dude, you need a Bacehlor's to practice medicine in the US! I don't know how we can say it any clearer. Stop the lunacy, come back to the US, enroll in a legitimate accredited university, get your Bachelor's, go work for a few years and MAYBE then do a post-bacc and take the MCAT and do this all the right way if you're reluctant to let go.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Medicine isn’t that great. You will realize it when you get to clinicals that it’s not what you think and that all the specialities (basically only family medicine) that would be open to you (if you by some miracle manage to make it to applying to residency one day) are essentially legalized slavery with low job satisfaction and comparably low pay. Do something else please for the sake of your youth, quality of life, and financial stability.

• Dislike

Ok, either you just remembered all of those questions from previously, or I don’t believe you.

In any case, you’ve clearly gotten all of the useful information you’re going to get and have decided to do what you’re going to do. Thread closed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.