Is SCA annual meeting worth $550 for residents to "network"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zonazoo34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello CA-1 interested in cardiac. Wanting to go to SCA but thought the 550$ registration for residents is quite steep. Would be great if there was a program director meet and greet session like the ASA conference does but doesn't look to be the case. Wondering if any current fellows who have attended think it is worth while as a resident just looking to network as my home program does not have a cardiac fellowship. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It can be good for CA2s who present posters, as the meeting is close to when rank lists are made. However, it is unlikely to drum up new interviews given how late in the season it is.

Probably not worth it for a CA1 if you can’t get it paid for.

Reactions: 1 user
Also a CA1. Got a poster accepted this year but decided not to go since program is not paying for the registration/trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also a CA1. Got a poster accepted this year but decided not to go since program is not paying for the registration/trip.

Beware! Sometimes certain societies ban you from presenting for a few years at conferences if you just don’t show up. I’d check with SCA I am not sure what their policy is.

I went to SCA as a CA-1, man was it absolutely over my dang head. Had no clue what was being discussed. I had a MUCH more productive experience as a CA-2 where I made the effort to reach out to PDs and faculty I had met along the interview trail. I found this exceptionally beneficial, plus it shows dedication to the field which is a must.

One of my cofellows sealed her place at our program after putting in some face time with our faculty at sca. I remember them raving about her. Wait until CA2 year.