Is Science GPA more important then Overall GPA ? Is my GPA good enough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple_Pie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

My Overall GPA is 3.03 and my Science GPA is like 2.8

DO optometry schools give more imortance to Science GPA over overall GPA ? WHat is my chance of getting into any OPtometry school in United states ? what about my chances of getting into Illinois Optometry school ?

Is my GPA good enough to guarantee me a place in Puerto Rico School if that is my last option ?

Members don't see this ad.

Apple_Pie said:
Guys,

DO optometry schools give more imortance to Science GPA over overall GPA ? WHat is my chance of getting into any OPtometry school in United states ? what about my chances of getting into Illinois Optometry school ?

Is my GPA good enough to guarantee me a place in Puerto Rico School if that is my last option ?

I would say that the science GPA is more important because that's mostly the type of stuff involved in optometry school. As far as getting into schools goes, it's hard to say without knowing your other stats and extracurriculars.

Apple_Pie said:
Guys,

Schools probably look a little more at science GPA than overall, but both are important! They don't want someone who has a 4.0 in science classes, but can't get above a C in classes like the humanities, English, etc. Likewise, because Optometry is a health SCIENCE... science GPA is important too! What are your OAT scores like? Extracurriculars? Optometry experience? All of these will be important factors in determining whether any school will grant you an interview. From there... are you charasmatic, passionate, well-spoken, confident, poised, etc? I think your best bet is to pick a few schools that you are interested in and contact the admissions office. Talk to someone, get to know them and likewise let them get to know you. Ask what you can do to make your application stronger. If you haven't taken the OAT yet, study your @$$ off to make sure that you have really strong scores. You have a chance... the question is how bad do you want it and how far will you go to achieve this?

Members don't see this ad :)
eyestrain said:
As far as getting into schools goes, it's hard to say without knowing your other stats and extracurriculars.

I have done volunteer work at an optometrist who gave me a recommmendation letter, I worked there for 1 week. Is this enough time ? do optometry schools actually ask for a proof for the time you have spent there ?

I have also done 40 hours of volunteer at a hopistal doing general work.

I am in a club in my unversity.

Are these extracurricular activities enough ? and do schools actually ask for a proof for all of these activities ?

prettygreeneyes said:
Schools probably look a little more at science GPA than overall, but both are important! They don't want someone who has a 4.0 in science classes, but can't get above a C in classes like the humanities, English, etc. Likewise, because Optometry is a health SCIENCE... science GPA is important too!

The science GPA that ask for is it for ALL science classes I have taken or do they ask for science GPA for only the science classes required by the optometry schools ?

I have taken Classes like physiology, brain and behavior, Ecology, which the optometry schools don't require. So are they going to take into account only the science GPA of only the science classes required by the optometry school, or are the going to take the GPA of all science classes I have taken ?

My science GPA for all the science classes taken is like 2.8 and If you calculate only the science classes required by the optometry school then my sience gpa would go up to 2.9. My overall GPA in unversity is 3.03

Is my GPA good enough to Get me into Illinois optometry school, or into Puerto Rico optometry school which is my last option.

Apple_Pie said:
The science GPA that ask for is it for ALL science classes I have taken or do they ask for science GPA for only the science classes required by the optometry schools ?

I have taken Classes like physiology, brain and behavior, Ecology, which the optometry schools don't require. So are they going to take into account only the science GPA of only the science classes required by the optometry school, or are the going to take the GPA of all science classes I have taken ?

My science GPA for all the science classes taken is like 2.8 and If you calculate only the science classes required by the optometry school then my sience gpa would go up to 2.9. My overall GPA in unversity is 3.03

Is my GPA good enough to Get me into Illinois optometry school, or into Puerto Rico optometry school which is my last option.

You really do have a lot of good questions. The answers you receive here will be helpful, but even more helpful would be for you to contact ICO. Before I started Optometry school I made it a point to meet with someone on the admissions committee so that they could answer my questions, give helpful hints, etc. It would be prudent for you to do the same. Good-luck!

xmattODx said:
You really do have a lot of good questions. The answers you receive here will be helpful, but even more helpful would be for you to contact ICO. Before I started Optometry school I made it a point to meet with someone on the admissions committee so that they could answer my questions, give helpful hints, etc. It would be prudent for you to do the same. Good-luck!

Ditto! If you live near an OD school it would be very helpful to sit down with an admissions officer and go over your transcripts, ECs etc. They'll tell you where your app would be weak and what you can do to strenghten it before you apply. They're usually VERY helpful! Your GPA doesn't automatically force you to IAUPR... but anything you can do to raise it would help. You definitely need VERY strong OAT scores.

Are you from the States?

I'm Canadian, and I applied to Illinois optometry school with practically the exact same stats as you. Total GPA 3.02 and Science GPA ~2.9 My OATs were at 300, 310, and I got accepted! =)

I'd say your chances of getting into any optometry school in the states with the GPA you have, is favourable if you're international/canadian.

IceNine said:
Are you from the States?

I'm Canadian, and I applied to Illinois optometry school with practically the exact same stats as you. Total GPA 3.02 and Science GPA ~2.9 My OATs were at 300, 310, and I got accepted! =)

I'd say your chances of getting into any optometry school in the states with the GPA you have, is favourable if you're international/canadian.

I have pretty much the same stats and i'm from illinois but i still haven't heard back from ICO. when did you apply and how long did it take for them to get back to you?

RDoshi said:
I have pretty much the same stats and i'm from illinois but i still haven't heard back from ICO. when did you apply and how long did it take for them to get back to you?

I applied in mid september, and got a request for an interview and asked to submit my secondary material in late october...3 weeks about? I chose to interview on December 5th and recieved my letter of acceptance December 16th.

best of luck!
IceNine.