Is talking about having a stutter as a kid ok in secondaries/interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fdwy13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would this be a good idea for adversity essays?
I had a stutter as a kid (doesn’t affect me anymore) and it led me to not feeling confident speaking in classroom / more formal settings. I did a bunch of things to overcome it including speech and debate and have now become a speech and debate coach for a high school.

I’m worried that this may lead some people to question whether I will be a good physician if I have struggled with speaking before.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I talked about a speech impediment in some of my essays and things turned out fine for me. If you can communicate that you overcame your self consciousness then I think you'll be fine. I think something else you may want to consider is that adversity essays are ideally looking for something relatively recent, like college and beyond. If your experiences were in elementary/middle school, some people may not see those experiences to necessarily be indicative if how you handle adversity now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Totally fine fodder for adversity/greatest challenge prompts.

And see this guy? I knew him when I was a lab tech. He had a grand mal stutter, and it didn't stop him!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Would this be a good idea for adversity essays?
I had a stutter as a kid (doesn’t affect me anymore) and it led me to not feeling confident speaking in classroom / more formal settings. I did a bunch of things to overcome it including speech and debate and have now become a speech and debate coach for a high school.

2) I’m worried that this may lead some people to question whether I will be a good physician if I have struggled with speaking before.
1) Yes.
2) It won't.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users