Is the COMLEX inferior to the USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matteaton81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I am going to be a DO, I am required (I think) to take the COMLEX. Needless to say, that will keep me at bay pretty well. Does not taking the USMLE preclude you from competitive allopathic residencies?

It would help, too, if someone explained to me the difference between an allopathic residency and an osteopathic residency. If you landed an osteopatic ENT residency as opposed to allopathic, would you be any worse off?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that the COMLEX is harder because they don't use buzz words like the USMLE does (though I heard that the USMLE is slowly steering away from them too). Also the COMLEX has a lot more anatomy due to its importance in OMM. Anatomy, from what I hear, is killer.

FrogE7 said:
I have heard that the COMLEX is harder because they don't use buzz words like the USMLE does (though I heard that the USMLE is slowly steering away from them too). Also the COMLEX has a lot more anatomy due to its importance in OMM. Anatomy, from what I hear, is killer.

You can take the USMLE as a DO student and I highly recommend that you do so. The USMLE is a more difficult exam because you have to know and understand the minutiae. The COMLEX is a poorly written, archaic exam. Some of the questions and pictures are so poor that you will find yourself laughing out loud. The USMLE was a breath of fresh air compared to the COMLEX.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took both and found fault with both.

Comlex: is vague and sometimes you feel like you need more info; OMM questions were made purposely difficult and did not test your OMM but tested your reading skills; was more clinically oriented

USMLE: had big long scenarios that had nothing to do with the question they asked; asked tiny minutia ( and I don't just mean what chromosome is affected in Cystic fibrosis) about genetics and microbiology (the stuff that isn't usually important unless you are doing research on it)

Bottom line: both tests suck and you just have to wade through them.

And I don't think COMLEX was inferior to USMLE, just different in focus. I did appreciate that the USMLE was only 1 day while the COMLEX was 2 days... but you guys will not have to worry about that anymore.

So, in essence, anyone who says the COMLEX is equal to the USMLE is full of it? This very website claims that taking both would be a waste of your time because you will get similar scores on both.

By the way, have you ever heard of anyone doing average on the MCAT but then great on their boards?

babyruth said:
OMM questions were made purposely difficult and did not test your OMM but tested your reading skills; was more clinically oriented
QUOTE]

YEAH! we go throught that every test cuz the writer of that stufff teaches at our school.

matteaton81 said:
So, in essence, anyone who says the COMLEX is equal to the USMLE is full of it? This very website claims that taking both would be a waste of your time because you will get similar scores on both.

I did better on the USMLE. The point is not that you will get the same score, but that you are on the same playing field with allopathic applicants at ERAS time. There are a million reasons why AND why not to take both exams, but I say if there is still even a small chance that taking the USMLE will help you in the long run, why would you not take it?

To the OP's original point: I do think the COMLEX was inferior. It was mostly first order questions and tested TONS of buzzwords. There were no buzzwords on the USMLE--you really had to reason out your answers.

COMLEX was a very practical exam and most of what was tested were common diseases that you will see a lot of in primary care, and typical presentations. USMLE had a lot more zebras and a lot more molecular and biochemical basis of disease. Notice I used the PAST TENSE. No one can accurately predict what will show up on your form of either test. Just study hard, learn your basics well, and you are going to be fine.

I'm not sure who told you that anatomy was a killer....I hardly remember any anatomy questions that weren't doable within the context of the clinical scenario.

Of course it's possible to have a mediocre MCAT and do better on the boards, but I would imagine most folks don't go from really low MCAT to really high boards, but I am sure there are outliers.

Don't worry about it now. You will pass. 85% of people get one of their top 3 residency choices, so if you stay a little ahead of the curve and don't aim for outrageous goals (i.e. don't apply to derm with crappy grades and board scores..duh...) then you will reach your goals.

matteaton81 said:

Some residencies don't accept COMLEX.

My experience:

COMLEX: Poorly written, Way too many questions like.."patient X comes in with chest pain, SOB, radiating symptoms, tachy, LOC...what somatic function are you likely to find (!) (don't know, don't care...I'm going to save the patient!), I do feel that it is more clinically oriented though.

USMLE: Better written, very esoteric, lots of minutia, questions are HEAVILY weighted towards research (for example, more than a few questions had you choose from A through J (!) in the answers.

My opinion: Take them both!!! It will be worth it. Many Allo places will not be able to compare you without it. And, NO, the new 2 point conversion you get on the COMLEX is not the same, they are different exams.

OSUdoc08 said:
Some residencies don't accept COMLEX.

You should clarify this statement for people that are not at the point that you are yet (perhaps the OP). All AOA approved (obviously) and dually accredited programs (AOA and ACGME) would have to accpet the COMLEX

B-

Members don't see this ad :)
ahhh yesssss.. another useful thread. Do a search people.
THis was talked about.

I find it funny that the COMLEX sounds like COMPLEX.
I made that mistake in the beginning.
Someone should tell them to change it to USOMeL

BMW19 said:
You should clarify this statement for people that are not at the point that you are yet (perhaps the OP). All AOA approved (obviously) and dually accredited programs (AOA and ACGME) would have to accpet the COMLEX

B-

There are a large number of ACGME programs that do not accept the COMLEX.

It is self-explanatory that all AOA programs (dually- or singly-accredited) take the COMLEX.

OSUdoc08 said:
There are a large number of ACGME programs that do not accept the COMLEX.

It is self-explanatory that all AOA programs (dually- or singly-accredited) take the COMLEX.

There are a large number of ACGME programs that DO accept COMLEX - I have had no problems with getting residency invites and I'm applying only in the allopathic match with those scores.

There are going to be lots of varied opinions as to which test is harder (this doesn't necessarily mean better). In the end, none of them matter. If you are worried about whether certain allo specialties or programs will accept COMLEX scores then contact them and find out.

Another rule of thumb is see if they have ever accepted a DO before, because then they will have encountered the COMLEX and at least know more about it. As stated, you can always look on their site or call them...

babyruth said:
Another rule of thumb is see if they have ever accepted a DO before, because then they will have encountered the COMLEX and at least know more about it. As stated, you can always look on their site or call them...

If they have never accepted a DO, then they likely won't take the COMLEX or USMLE from anyone. They may "take" them, but there will be minimal consideration.

Of the programs that do take DO's, many of the PD's state that they will take the USMLE only. Calling the PD will be the best way to find out.

here is a kinda different question:
took the COMLEX and did AWESOME....O
didn't know i needed to take the USMLE until later into my 3rd year. Finally took this in the middle of my rotations, so I didn't have any time off to "board study", and this was about 6 months after my COMLEX study, so I've forgotten most of the important things and all of the non important things. Needless to say, I didn't do as well. And I know they say you can't really compare between the COMLEX and USMLE, but it's pretty easy to see a difference between my two scores.
So my question is this: if the residencies I plan to apply to will take the COMLEX, do I just give them my COMLEX score. And if I get an interview, and they ask if I ever took the USMLE, can I just say yes, but not give them the score. My USMLE score isn't "horrible", but just not as outstanding as I wanted it to be. I'll even say it was slightly above average.
I plan on applying to IM, Peds, IM/Peds, and Anesthesiology. All are ACGME, but I've been told they will take the COMLEX. That doesn't mean they wouldn't like to see a USMLE score to compare me to everyone else.

Also: these residencies are all in one city (one institution), so I'm guessing PDs from different residencies will talk to one another. If one program finds out my USMLE score, would it be likely the rest will find out even if I don't tell them?

sorry for the long post

thanks for any advice

babyruth said:
I took both and found fault with both.

Comlex: is vague and sometimes you feel like you need more info; OMM questions were made purposely difficult and did not test your OMM but tested your reading skills; was more clinically oriented

USMLE: had big long scenarios that had nothing to do with the question they asked; asked tiny minutia ( and I don't just mean what chromosome is affected in Cystic fibrosis) about genetics and microbiology (the stuff that isn't usually important unless you are doing research on it)

Bottom line: both tests suck and you just have to wade through them.

So then if the board exam questions are so in-depth and "research" level, why do so many people swear by First Aid and such to get you through boards? FA doesn't seem to go into any huge crazy minute detail on subjects, but if what you are saying is true then there is a crap ton more out there that we need to delve into.

This is not inteneded to be a "Can I pass boards by only studying FA?" thread. I'm just trying to get an idea for how in-depth we are expected to go into the basic sciences because I don't feel like I have a clear picture on that yet. Every time I start studying I realize I haven't gone into enough depth on some things, and waaaay to far into others. And I have heard from several people that the level presented in FA is all you need to get into. Is that not correct?