Is the University of Washington good for pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, is it really that difficult to get decent grades at UW? Maybe I want to transfer out...:confused:

After you mentioned schools like U. of Montana I looked it up and UM has about an 86% acceptance to medical school! And they seem much more laid back. I really like Seattle but now I'm seriously considering doing the "big fish in small pond" method.

To those who have gone to UW, what kinds of grades do most kids get? And how many get "A"s with the crazy incremental curved grading system?
I wonder what the average GPA for the graduating class was with the grade DEflation.

I'm not planning on doing a science pre-med major as it seems way to competitive and typical and am thinking about being an art major, but I have no idea how difficult the arts at UW are. If you have any idea, I'd deeply appreciate your insight.

Oh gosh I'm scared.

Members don't see this ad.

I live here, in Woodinville. By the way, first post, w00t haha.

Anyway,

Half my friends went to Western. Maybe a quarter went to UW. The ones that went to WSU wanted to get into UW... but didnt... ok, thats not true. I knew some screwy people :p The rest are all over the place.

Western is an AWESOME school. I really thought about going there, and I still might transfer there.

Some of the people in UW are SO FED UP with their work, its changing them. The school is TOUGH. Engineering, Premed courses, pre law, everything there is nuts. Its a great school, though. But if you are going for great grades it will require you to study almost 24/7.

Wow, is it really that difficult to get decent grades at UW? Maybe I want to transfer out...:confused:

After you mentioned schools like U. of Montana I looked it up and UM has about an 86% acceptance to medical school! And they seem much more laid back. I really like Seattle but now I'm seriously considering doing the "big fish in small pond" method.

To those who have gone to UW, what kinds of grades do most kids get? And how many get "A"s with the crazy incremental curved grading system?
I wonder what the average GPA for the graduating class was with the grade DEflation.

I'm not planning on doing a science pre-med major as it seems way to competitive and typical and am thinking about being an art major, but I have no idea how difficult the arts at UW are. If you have any idea, I'd deeply appreciate your insight.

Oh gosh I'm scared.

If we count 4.0 as an "A," then it is incredibly difficult to get that in a weed out science class at UW. I say this is due to UW using a numerical grading system. 3.6-3.7 is not too difficult, but you have to really push to get that extra .1 to .2 increase in your gpa. If you like art, and are very talented in the arts, do art. However, I have a few friends who are art and visual communication design majors at uw, some of those classes do suck up a lot of time due to the projects they must do. UW is a great school, just do what you enjoy and if you don't want a premed environment don't major in biochem or the notorious neurobiology. I dunno if I can name professor names on SDN, but pm me if you want the lo down on which profs for sciences are easiest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If we count 4.0 as an "A," then it is incredibly difficult to get that in a weed out science class at UW. I say this is due to UW using a numerical grading system. 3.6-3.7 is not too difficult, but you have to really push to get that extra .1 to .2 increase in your gpa. If you like art, and are very talented in the arts, do art. However, I have a few friends who are art and visual communication design majors at uw, some of those classes do suck up a lot of time due to the projects they must do. UW is a great school, just do what you enjoy and if you don't want a premed environment don't major in biochem or the notorious neurobiology. I dunno if I can name professor names on SDN, but pm me if you want the lo down on which profs for sciences are easiest.

Thank you Polar Bear, I will PM you. :)

I'm relieved that at least 3.6-3.7 isn't TOO difficult.
I was recently informed that only 10 students get an "A" in a class of 400, which makes it 2.5%. I mean, congratulations to the 10, but how true is this?

OP -
whoa, your situation is tough.

this is totally.. totally.. random..... but just from personal experience
maybe you could consider going to a foreign country for awhile, a cheap country, save like crazy. learn a new language. when i lived in china after college, i was getting paid 20 dollars an hr teaching english to random russian business people, in beijing..i had an italian student too.
my expenses were super low because it was china.
i only had to work 2 days a week to support myself, and had lots of money to blow on travel, and worked for a NGO that supported AIDS orphans and did human right work for the other 3 days.
It looked great on my resume, but more importantly, I changed my life. I didn't save any money becaues I traveled and didn't work that much but I have a 18 year old friend (who came to China by himself at ag 16) has managed to support himself completely, plus more while attending high school in China.

You just need to be determined that you will return to college.
a Gap year is looked upon favoribly at ivy leagues, if you decided to do a gap year, maybe you can apply again as a freshman for a more financially wealthy institution, like harvard where students with family income under 60k are all paid for. i think stanford is swimming in money too, anyway, many of these universities with large endowments are able to make such generous offers.

You don't have to even consider this suggestion seriously, but making a drastic change in desperate situations have propelled my life forward in the most benefitial way possible.

another suggestion, there is this program called
national student exchange, which UW participates in.
you can stay at a host university for up to 1 year while paying in state.
a lot of "dinky" schools are participating as well. schools in montana, alaska, etc. volunteering in these healthcare shortage area is also a great opportunity since the staff tend to train you with more skills and treat you lke part of the team since 1. fewer people, if any really to compete with 2. they need help where they can get it.

maybe you can take the 1st year at UW with GE and maybe chem, which you already took the AP class, and do some if not all of the weeder courses at a guest university your second year: gen phy, bio, ochem.
all three classes in one year is definitely doable when not at a crazy cutthreat school.

just make sure your grades are consistent, if you bomb at UW and ace at montana state or something, the admin will smell fishy.

you can also try to get a seperation for financial aid purpsoes from your parents. a friend of mine manage to do this (because her parents sound much like yours), and her schooling were immediately covered for the next finacial aid cycle.

well things have cooled down with my parents, so i will still be staying at home and commuting to school at least for my first year via the bus system.

now, i plan on majoring in chemical engineering because i loved chemistry and AP chemistry in high school, and i am hoping to get into chemistry, calculus, and english during my first quarter at UW, which will take a sizeable bite out of the pre-reqs both for med school and for the university's ChemEn program. i am not worried too much about the grades, i know that i will work my ass off and do whatever is necessary to make sure i am at the top of my classes. having mostly AP classes my senior year in high school has hopefully at least prepared me a little bit for the work load i will have to handle in college, not to mention i will have more time for studying in college. the hardest part for me will be balancing my job at Target and my studying, but i am sure that i will be able to grind through it. if i can handle working, wrestling varsity for a 3-time state championship team (Lake Stevens baby!!!!) while cutting from 174 to 152, and keeping A's in my AP and non-AP classes and graduating with a 3.86 gpa, i think i am at least decently prepared for the UW ;)
i hope so...

I went to uw and you're gonna get baked. I almost guarantee it. You have no idea how many asians are going to outstudy you, outperform you, out-everything you and own your face.

EVERYTHING is curved premed and the curve is both brutal and ridiculous.

Ask ANY pre-med at UW and they will tell you, you have to EARN that 3.7 in bio, or biochem, or whatever.

thanks. I am willing to engage with anyone who disagrees.

I went to uw and you're gonna get baked. I almost guarantee it. You have no idea how many asians are going to outstudy you, outperform you, out-everything you and own your face.

I don't know if that was suppose to by funny, but I found it very humorous. :laugh:

Asians are intimidating. I would know. I scare myself brainless every time I look in the mirror and I'm not even the studious kind.

I don't know if that was suppose to by funny, but I found it very humorous. :laugh:

Asians are intimidating. I would know. I scare myself brainless every time I look in the mirror and I'm not even the studious kind.

I'm half asian so at least I had that going for me. But seriously, You will get molestered there GPA wise.

105% of them (no exaggeration) already go into the classes with apbio, apchem, apeverything, so they already have that edge. THEN, they'll steal your lab reports, contaminate your experiments, steal biochem lecture videos, and just in general do everything to end your life so they could ride the bump in the curve.

The nasty, nasty, brutal, unforgiving, devastating curve.

Even if you manage to dodge all these attacks... they always win. 105% percent of the time, again no exaggeration.

My challenge: talk to a good amount, like 20 is achievable, of premeds and ask them how hard it is. How unfair it is. And you will instantly get a glimpse of the pain that lies ahead of you. This is important: the premeds that are successful... ask them how long they study, what they do for that extra edge (the stuff they'll admit anyways), their high school preparation, how much free-time they have (haha) and you have to do what they do to even have a chance.

And when you follow the successful asian premed regimen... you STILL fail! They'll STILL own your very existence and ruin your soul.

OK, I'm done but you get my point. It's rough there and the attrition rate (105%) reflects the cutthroat environment you have to survive for 4 years.

Literally cutthroat- wear shielded turtlenecks.

105% of them (no exaggeration) already go into the classes with apbio, apchem, apeverything, so they already have that edge. THEN, they'll steal your lab reports, contaminate your experiments, steal biochem lecture videos, and just in general do everything to end your life so they could ride the bump in the curve.

Really? I thought those were just urban myths. No one is that immoral, even if they are "asian," but then again...my school didn't have a large Asian population. People told me that being a full IB student was super challenging, but I didn't find it terribly awful.

I don't plan on being a science major so I will probably only be taking the entry level science courses required for med school, except for organic chemistry. There are significantly less "smart" and more lazy, dumb kids in these classes right?

The nasty, nasty, brutal, unforgiving, devastating curve.

What is the usual curve set to?

My challenge: talk to a good amount, like 20 is achievable, of premeds and ask them how hard it is. How unfair it is. And you will instantly get a glimpse of the pain that lies ahead of you. This is important: the premeds that are successful... ask them how long they study, what they do for that extra edge (the stuff they'll admit anyways), their high school preparation, how much free-time they have (haha) and you have to do what they do to even have a chance.

Do you mind being the first pre-med I ask and possibly exposing how long you personally study and your free time? :xf:

Thank you for giving your insight, very un-UW premed of you. :)

At least when I end up baked and crying to tears to the point of losing my soul, I'll be less shocked.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to the UW for fall admissions this year, and I plan on studying biology (because I love it after taking AP Bio this year in HS, not because I think it will prepare me for med school). However, I am extremely tight financially even though the FAFSA doesn't seem to think so, and I will be commuting every day to and from campus for classes.
Being a doctor is what I have wanted more than anything for as long as I can remember, and I just want to know if the UW is a good place for pre-med. I got a 2060 on my SAT, 3.8 GPA, and was in the top 5% graduating class in WA state. I didn't think my stats were competitive enough to apply out of state because I didn't think I was well-rounded enough extracurricularly. UW is the only place to which I applied, and I do love the campus and everything, I just want to know if there will be enough volunteer opportunities near campus and everything else I need to help me get into med school. I know in the end it is about how I do personally, but I was just wondering if anybody knew if UW has a halfway decent reputation of getting their pre-meds into medical school.

In my honest opinion, all schools are about as good as each other for "pre-med." It's up to the applicant to make the most of their resources and classes to prepare them for medical school.

The curve for chem is at 2.6 +/- .2. Most profs give 2.8 as the curve, but you never know. Attrition rate is pretty high, 90% of the intro chem class will be pre meds. After the first quarter chem, the amount drops though. I'm not a fan of the UW grading system. Advantages to the system are that you can get inbetween grades such as a 3.5 (dunno how this is factored into how AMCAS does gpa though), but as I stated above you need to really push it to get a 4.

Also, not all Asian UW pre meds are a$sholes, just most.

In my honest opinion, all schools are about as good as each other for "pre-med." It's up to the applicant to make the most of their resources and classes to prepare them for medical school.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, I needed that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, I needed that.

If you needed an inaccurate statement, then I guess you got it. Premed is not the same everywhere. And no, it's not basically the same everywhere either. Like last polar bear said, all pre-med req classes are curved so that the average is 2.8 + or - .2. ALL of them. I hate to spell it out, but I will. That includes all 3 quarters of bio, all 3 quarters of physics, all three quarters of bio lab, gen chem lab, o-chem lab,physics lab, and all three quarters of o-chem. All of them are curved like this. So.. if basically all premed programs in all the universities are like this, than i will take back what I say.

This is not the case for other schools. I dare say that some of the averages for these classes are above 3.0. This is foreign to me because I went to UW and this scenario would be impossible. For premed at UW, 4.0 is reserved for top 5% maximum. My biochem class had 500+ students. Hmmm.. maybe you can be top 5% for all these courses for 3 straight years.

Really? I thought those were just urban myths. No one is that immoral, even if they are "asian," but then again...my school didn't have a large Asian population. People told me that being a full IB student was super challenging, but I didn't find it terribly awful.

I don't plan on being a science major so I will probably only be taking the entry level science courses required for med school, except for organic chemistry. There are significantly less "smart" and more lazy, dumb kids in these classes right?

No.

What is the usual curve set to?

2.6+ or - 0.2. Always. For every med school prereq. class. Refer to my later post.

Do you mind being the first pre-med I ask and possibly exposing how long you personally study and your free time? :xf:

Quite simply, I always studied. Always. When I had free time, that's when I would study. Odegaard is the undergrad library there and it's open 24/7 every day except fri-saturday. And btw, this is the norm. You always have to study because everyone else is always studying. Get it?! If the average in your gen chem or general bio class is 2.4 on a 4.0 scale, and 90% of the students in the class are always studying because they want the best grade they can earn, then you're just at the average then aren't you? That's when I use my trusty remote and slow down time and extend my days by a couple hours so I could be ahead of the curve. I hope this answers your question.

Thank you for giving your insight, very un-UW premed of you. :)

No. My opinions are not very un-uw premed. ANY of the premed at UW will be more than happy to tell you exactly how hard you have to work, and how smart you have to be, and how bad you want to be a doctor, to even get a 3.5. Seriously.

At least when I end up baked and crying to tears to the point of losing my soul, I'll be less shocked.

No. you will still be shocked. And then you will go on sdn and tell the next miserable fool who asks you if it's a good idea to do UW premed your story.

OOPs, I quoted wrong. My responses are inside the shaded quote box. Sorry bout that.

Despite how cutthroat uw premed is, I think it can be a very rewarding experience, and one should just take the classes, disregard what others are doing, and just let it be a game against yourself. Yes, classes are curved. But, you should always try just to score well on your tests, regardless of the curve.

I mean, that's probably the best compromise between the bitter PGY who was talking about all of the gunners in medical school. Cuz frankly, yes, i think medicine is at times really disgusting for the people who attend school for it. But, being bitter I would suppose isn't going to help-rather just know your stuff, do well, and get used to working with all sorts of people-smart, dumb, nice, mean.

I will say something though-nothing is more hilarious than a gunner freaking about his/her grades. Classic.

I live here, in Woodinville. By the way, first post, w00t haha.

Anyway,

Half my friends went to Western. Maybe a quarter went to UW. The ones that went to WSU wanted to get into UW... but didnt... ok, thats not true. I knew some screwy people :p The rest are all over the place.

Western is an AWESOME school. I really thought about going there, and I still might transfer there.

Some of the people in UW are SO FED UP with their work, its changing them. The school is TOUGH. Engineering, Premed courses, pre law, everything there is nuts. Its a great school, though. But if you are going for great grades it will require you to study almost 24/7.

Yes. 24/7.

Btw, this reminds me of a joke. I'm sure you've heard it but for everyone else:

Q: What do UW and WSU students have in Common?
A: They both applied to UW. :D

Q: What does a WSU grad call a UW grad?
A: Boss.
etc. :laugh:

Thank you Polar Bear, I will PM you. :)

I'm relieved that at least 3.6-3.7 isn't TOO difficult.
I was recently informed that only 10 students get an "A" in a class of 400, which makes it 2.5%. I mean, congratulations to the 10, but how true is this?

This is true. 20 students tops. And lies, 3.6-3.7 is incredibly difficult.

well things have cooled down with my parents, so i will still be staying at home and commuting to school at least for my first year via the bus system.

now, i plan on majoring in chemical engineering because i loved chemistry and AP chemistry in high school, and i am hoping to get into chemistry, calculus, and english during my first quarter at UW, which will take a sizeable bite out of the pre-reqs both for med school and for the university's ChemEn program. i am not worried too much about the grades, i know that i will work my ass off and do whatever is necessary to make sure i am at the top of my classes. having mostly AP classes my senior year in high school has hopefully at least prepared me a little bit for the work load i will have to handle in college, not to mention i will have more time for studying in college. the hardest part for me will be balancing my job at Target and my studying, but i am sure that i will be able to grind through it. if i can handle working, wrestling varsity for a 3-time state championship team (Lake Stevens baby!!!!) while cutting from 174 to 152, and keeping A's in my AP and non-AP classes and graduating with a 3.86 gpa, i think i am at least decently prepared for the UW ;)
i hope so...

If you're commuting to UW. Your grades are going to get owned. I guarantee it. I 100% guarantee it. Don't commute.

Also, to the person who asked about volunteer opportunities at the UW... they're pretty good if you really try hard.

There's swedish medical center, harborview, and of course the uw medical center. The UW medical center might be the worse, though. Since there's so many premeds (also UW has #1 nursing program in the states I hear, this is also very competitive (very)), everyone's volunteering. UW medical center has TOO MANY volunteers. So... it's going to be tough to get a decent worthwhile position at that hospital.

Their official policy is like: you have to be there for minimum 3 months before you get to push a patient around... or something like this. I volunteered at seattle neuroscience clinic (swedish) so I don't know the uw med center specifics on volunteering.

heheheh....:(

Well, I'll let the forum know how badly I fail or don't.
My plan is to give it my all for a quarter and transfer out if it's too much, before it's too late.

I was hoping to be working as well, but if I have to study 24/7-I guess not.

Thanks everyone regardless of how I will perform!

The curve for chem is at 2.6 +/- .2. Most profs give 2.8 as the curve, but you never know. Attrition rate is pretty high, 90% of the intro chem class will be pre meds. After the first quarter chem, the amount drops though. I'm not a fan of the UW grading system. Advantages to the system are that you can get inbetween grades such as a 3.5 (dunno how this is factored into how AMCAS does gpa though), but as I stated above you need to really push it to get a 4.

Also, not all Asian UW pre meds are a$sholes, just most.

What does this mean? I've never really understood bell curve grading... I know that sometimes if the highest grade is 92... they make that the new 100 percent... :confused:

:thumbup::thumbup:
so true

What does this mean? I've never really understood bell curve grading... I know that sometimes if the highest grade is 92... they make that the new 100 percent... :confused:

Generally, there are two different types of grading in the sciences at UW

The first, which is used pretty much in every pre-req (Chem, Bio, O-chem, Phys) is the bell curve that you're referring to (and the nightmare that everyone else is). Basically, the peak of the curve, or somewhere near the avg score, become a 2.6, no matter what that actual score is. You'll be totally pumped with your 94% in bio, until you realize that everyone else got pretty close to that, so your A-/A turns into oh...around a C.

Make a tiny stupid mistake that cost you 2%? Well thanks to the curve, you just lost an actual 10-15% of your actual grade in the course, because relatively few people made that mistake, and the average was way high to begin with.

Pretty brutal.

The other system, which I think is much more fair, is the one that you alluded to last. It's used in a number of the upper division courses (Bioc 40X series, others) and all of the courses in the microbiology dept. Basically, the top 5 people in the class set the 100% mark. A linear grading scale is implemented from there that, although sometimes harsh, is relatively predictable.

So, when a prof writes a really tough exam, you're only graded relative to the highest scores in the class. If, out of a class of 500, NO ONE got certain questions right, it's pretty safe to say those questions were completely ridiculous, and are effectively thrown out.

Conversely, if a prof writes a really easy test, and the avg is, say, 90%, the worst grading scale you'll get is a linear one (i.e 100-90 = A, 80-90= B, 70-80 = C, etc. Usually steeper than that, but you get the point)

Basically, you're competing against the brightest people in your class. If you're 1 or 2 %age points behind them at, say, a 95%, then you wind up with a 3.6-3.8, no matter how well everyone else did. But if you were to use the other system, and everyone else was right there with you at 95%, then you'd be totally F**cked.

Make sense?

Advantages to the system are that you can get inbetween grades such as a 3.5 (dunno how this is factored into how AMCAS does gpa though)

Yeah, I was actually surprised. My AMCAS GPA went up by .04 compared with my transcripts. I guess that's some consolation...

Last edited:

Look at the bell curve. you can just google image it and it'll pop up. If the mean on the test is a 70%, that's set at either a 2.4-2.8. This is at the Professor's discretion. Usually the Prof sets it at 2.6 or 2.8. Rarely, if ever, a 2.4. I think the students would get violent at that point...

Anyways, looking at the bell curve - the mean is 2.6+-.2, one standard deviation up is set at around 3.5, 3.7. This means that the top 13% or so get a 3.6/7 or above with about 2-3 percent getting a 4.0. Notice, this means that NECESSARILY at least 15% of the class gets an F. Nevermind the Ds and the C-s or whatever, 15% get either a 0.0 or 1.6. At UW, there is no increment between these two values. They are both Fs.

As a premed here, you will begin to understand the importance of the standard deviation. In other words, it doesn't matter if you did 20% better than the mean... the standard deviation becomes all the difference.

Yes. 24/7.

Oh, OK, Cougar jokes?

Q: What has 20 legs and 3 teeth?
A: The first row of fans at Martin Stadium. (WSU's field)

Q: Why are a tornado and a cougar divorce similiar?
A: You know someone is going to lose a trailer.

Q. Why did WSU replace the grass with artificial turf at Martin Stadium?
A. To keep the cheerleaders from grazing.

Q: Why aren’t there any WSU grads on Star Trek?
A: They don’t work in the future either.

(This one isn't as funny if you watched the end of last year's Apple cup, so just pretend that never happened ;))

Q: How do you keep a cougar out of your backyard?
A: Put up a goalpost

:D

Last edited:
Oh, OK, Cougar jokes?

Q: What has 20 legs and 3 teeth?
A: The first row of fans at Martin Stadium. (WSU's field)

Q: Why are a tornado and a cougar divorce similiar?
A: You know someone is going to lose a trailer.

Q. Why did WSU replace the grass with artificial turf at Martin Stadium?
A. To keep the cheerleaders from grazing.

Q: Why aren’t there any WSU grads on Star Trek?
A: They don’t work in the future either.

(This one isn't as funny if you watched the end of last year's Apple cup, so just pretend that never happened ;))

Q: How do you keep a cougar out of your backyard?
A: Put up a goalpost

:D

Hahaha, nice. Last year's football team was a joke though. It was kind of cool to go 0-10 i guess, since no one in the nation had that record makes us kind of special.

Hey, that means we're pretty much guaranteed to do better than last year.
I mean, it's pretty much impossible to do any worse, right?
Plus, now we've got Sark AND Joe Montana's kid.

I, for one, am expecting multiple bowl appearances and Pac-10 beat-downs over the next few years to make up for the pain and suffering Husky fans have endured for the past 5 years.

They really, REALLY owe us.

Hey, that means we're pretty much guaranteed to do better than last year.
I mean, it's pretty much impossible to do any worse, right?
Plus, now we've got Sark AND Joe Montana's kid.

I, for one, am expecting multiple bowl appearances and Pac-10 beat-downs over the next few years to make up for the pain and suffering Husky fans have endured for the past 5 years.

They really, REALLY owe us.

If UW ever beats USC with Carroll and co., it'll be a day to remember.

you have no idea how excited i was when i came home from work today to see that my team, that went 0-12 last year, beat the #3 team in the nation, the team i hate more than anything else on the planet, the team that beat my other team 18-15 last week... god i hate USC, i have ever since they shared the national title with LSU in 2003 without playing in the title game and everybody at school became USC fans over night... go Huskies!!! There are no excuses for any more losses this season ;)

Do you hear that, it is the sound of me peeing my pants. I am transfering in from a cc in the area. I have a high GPA. Will it help if I don't take the normal weed out classes and only upper sciences at UW? This almost makes me want to go to Western W. or WSU instead. But I have wanted to go to UW ever since I was a kid. My sister is in the business school there, and she has warned me, but not to this degree. Another thing is that I don't plan on majoring in a science, so does that help? UW would also just be way more convienient because I would not need to move. It is also better for getting a job in the area because everyone want to hire UW grads. Oh well, I will probably just suck it up.

p.s. The science classes I would end up taking there would probably be physics, some o-chem, and biochem.

Last edited:
Hey dogs, don't get too excited. Oregon is coming to town next month and 16 points won't cut it against the Ducks.

Hey dogs, don't get too excited. Oregon is coming to town next month and 16 points won't cut it against the Ducks.

Hey, when you get shut out, it doesn't really matter how many points your opponent racks up. And maybe you should ask Idaho what they thought of our offense.

We just took down the #3 team in the nation. Ducks are next (well, eventually anyway)

Oh, and quote from sports center re. the Ducks' new colors "Man, he (Utah reciever)'s not running from the defense, he's running away from those uniforms. Seriously, who dresses these guys??". Awesome, just awesome.

Last edited:

EVERYTHING is curved premed and the curve is both brutal and ridiculous.

Ask ANY pre-med at UW and they will tell you, you have to EARN that 3.7 in bio, or biochem, or whatever.

thanks. I am willing to engage with anyone who disagrees.
lol, too funny!!!

If I can jump in right quick, I also went to a big-time state university with a certain Indian mascot in the Midwest. With a 700 person Intro Bio class, you are gonna find some people who don't know what college means, some who smell like beer constantly, some who are average/nice people, and some who, if they don't become the next chief resident of Plastics at Mass. General, will harakiri themselves.

Big state universities have their advantages and disadvantages, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IN LIFE. If it's for you, then go and screw what others say. If it's not, find whatever you will be happy with. Just know that at a big school, your odds of being top-dog are slim. But you don't have to be top-dog to get into med. school.

Do you hear that, it is the sound of me peeing my pants. I am transfering in from a cc in the area. I have a high GPA. Will it help if I don't take the normal weed out classes and only upper sciences at UW? This almost makes me want to go to Western W. or WSU instead. But I have wanted to go to UW ever since I was a kid. My sister is in the business school there, and she has warned me, but not to this degree. Another thing is that I don't plan on majoring in a science, so does that help? UW would also just be way more convienient because I would not need to move. It is also better for getting a job in the area because everyone want to hire UW grads. Oh well, I will probably just suck it up.

p.s. The science classes I would end up taking there would probably be physics, some o-chem, and biochem.
physics, o-chem, and biochem...yup...the pre-meds certainly won't take those...

/sarcasm

As an incoming freshmen, this is really discouraging. :(

physics, o-chem, and biochem...yup...the pre-meds certainly won't take those...

/sarcasm

Did I say they were not? Why be a **** for no reason?

What I was getting at is I will not be taking the notorious intro to bio and chem at UW, that's all.

Last edited:
Did I say they were not? Why be a **** for no reason?

What I was getting at is I will not be taking the notorious intro to bio and chem at UW, that's all.
Lemme break this down for you since your brain clearly isn't doing this for you.
The classes you are taking, you think they will be easier in terms of less pre-med neuroticism? If anything, it will be more high-stakes since those who wanted to be pre-med but couldn't cut it probably found something else before they got to biochem. You are going to be taking classes with sophs in O-chem and sophs/juniors in biochem who have made it this far and will most likely finish too.

This is like a person worried about getting his butt kicked in a high school football game and then seeking refuge from the pain by trying to play in college...it will only be worse.

Hey, when you get shut out, it doesn't really matter how many points your opponent racks up. And maybe you should ask Idaho what they thought of our offense.

We just took down the #3 team in the nation. Ducks are next (well, eventually anyway)

Oh, and quote from sports center re. the Ducks' new colors "Man, he (Utah reciever)'s not running from the defense, he's running away from those uniforms. Seriously, who dresses these guys??". Awesome, just awesome.

I was so rooting for Washington to beat USC. I went crazy when the Dogs won. I was ecstatic. I want the Dogs to be back. Beating you guys the last five years has been like beating your little sister in one on one basketball. There is no joy. I want you guys to be good so I can get excited when the Ducks beat you guys in the last minute when the game means something. Who wants a nemisis that is a *****. So I am glad you are back. I like your coach. I think you guys are back. I am excited that we have a rivalry again.

Go Ducks.

Lemme break this down for you since your brain clearly isn't doing this for you.
The classes you are taking, you think they will be easier in terms of less pre-med neuroticism? If anything, it will be more high-stakes since those who wanted to be pre-med but couldn't cut it probably found something else before they got to biochem. You are going to be taking classes with sophs in O-chem and sophs/juniors in biochem who have made it this far and will most likely finish too.

This is like a person worried about getting his butt kicked in a high school football game and then seeking refuge from the pain by trying to play in college...it will only be worse.

I was not claiming to know everything about it. In fact, that is why I was asking. I don't follow the logic about "finding something else before biochem" These students would need to take the normal introductory bio and chem first. From what I have heard, these classes, although still difficult in terms of material, are less stressful due to less people. Look, there is really no need to be high and mighty when someone is simply asking a question, and to flex your muscle. It shows a serious inferiority complex. I'm not "taking refuge" in anything. I am just taking the route that is most economically viable for myself, and just was inquiring about what I was in for, that's all.

p.s Also, the curve is not set as low in these classes, according to friends from UW.

Last edited:
I was so rooting for Washington to beat USC. I went crazy when the Dogs won. I was ecstatic. I want the Dogs to be back. Beating you guys the last five years has been like beating your little sister in one on one basketball. There is no joy. I want you guys to be good so I can get excited when the Ducks beat you guys in the last minute when the game means something. Who wants a nemisis that is a *****. So I am glad you are back. I like your coach. I think you guys are back. I am excited that we have a rivalry again.

Go Ducks.

Not a big fan of foie gras because it's cruel... but I'll make an exception for the huskies :laugh:

I was not claiming to know everything about it. In fact, that is why I was asking. I don't follow the logic about "finding something else before biochem" These students would need to take the normal introductory bio and chem first. From what I have heard, these classes, although still difficult in terms of material, are less stressful due to less people. Look, there is really no need to be high and mighty when someone is simply asking a question, and to flex your muscle. It shows a serious inferiority complex. I'm not "taking refuge" in anything. I am just taking the route that is most economically viable for myself, and just was inquiring about what I was in for, that's all.

p.s Also, the curve is not set as low in these classes, according to friends from UW.

I agree that these questions are good questions. Let's see.. so the best case scenario, if you're coming from a CC, is to take 2 of 4 series at the CC and leave the other 2 for UW. Adcoms (this is even on the UW premed website) prefer that you don't take all the prereqs in one place so they can compare the grades received in both institutions.

Which 2 series is up to you. At the UW, they are all pure ownage. I don't know who your friends at UW are, but I have more friends that go there, and I've taken the O-chem, Biochem, and Physics series there, so I know best. :laugh:

If they're saying the upper classes are easier (because of less people?) = false, non-sequitor, bull-sh**.

Think... I hate to do all caps but I will... ALL OF THE REQUIRED (read: premed) BIO COURSES, PHYSICS COURSES, CHEM COURSES, O-CHEM COURSES, BIOCHEM SERIES, AND ALL ASSOCIATED LABS ARE CURVED BY DEPARTMENT GUIDELINES.

I hate to repeat... but I will... BY DEPARTMENT GUIDELINES. There is no flexibility, no extenuating circumstances, nothing!

What are the department guidelines you ask?

simple: The average grade is set to 2.6+or-0.2. I have never had a class set to 2.4, most were 2.6 or 2.8.

So, in terms of things getting easier as you move along... the OPPOSITE is actually true.

Let's say 100 people take a class. Necessarily, a certain percentage MUST fail and not move on. Let's say that's 15%.

First quarter 85 students make it. Their average grade is 2.6.
Next quarter... uh oh- the 15 stupids aren't back.. who will take their place? 72 students move on.
Third quarter... you get the idea. Their average grade, AGAIN, is 2.6. etc. etc.

Also, anyone who told you biochem is easy or easier... is ******ed. This is a dead giveaway to you that says you should never (ever) listen to this person's voice again.

anyways...

I agree that these questions are good questions. Let's see.. so the best case scenario, if you're coming from a CC, is to take 2 of 4 series at the CC and leave the other 2 for UW. Adcoms (this is even on the UW premed website) prefer that you don't take all the prereqs in one place so they can compare the grades received in both institutions.

Which 2 series is up to you. At the UW, they are all pure ownage. I don't know who your friends at UW are, but I have more friends that go there, and I've taken the O-chem, Biochem, and Physics series there, so I know best. :laugh:

If they're saying the upper classes are easier (because of less people?) = false, non-sequitor, bull-sh**.

Think... I hate to do all caps but I will... ALL OF THE REQUIRED (read: premed) BIO COURSES, PHYSICS COURSES, CHEM COURSES, O-CHEM COURSES, BIOCHEM SERIES, AND ALL ASSOCIATED LABS ARE CURVED BY DEPARTMENT GUIDELINES.

I hate to repeat... but I will... BY DEPARTMENT GUIDELINES. There is no flexibility, no extenuating circumstances, nothing!

What are the department guidelines you ask?

simple: The average grade is set to 2.6+or-0.2. I have never had a class set to 2.4, most were 2.6 or 2.8.

So, in terms of things getting easier as you move along... the OPPOSITE is actually true.

Let's say 100 people take a class. Necessarily, a certain percentage MUST fail and not move on. Let's say that's 15%.

First quarter 85 students make it. Their average grade is 2.6.
Next quarter... uh oh- the 15 stupids aren't back.. who will take their place? 72 students move on.
Third quarter... you get the idea. Their average grade, AGAIN, is 2.6. etc. etc.

Also, anyone who told you biochem is easy or easier... is ******ed. This is a dead giveaway to you that says you should never (ever) listen to this person's voice again.

anyways...

I just called one of my friends. I guess he was inferring that the "upper division" courses are not curved as bad. I guess that logic does make sense, that the best move on = harder. I was not saying that I though Biochem was going to be easy, that would be very delusional, I just thought the curve was different.

This sucks. What if I took all my pre-reqs at the cc, then only took upper divisions at the UW. Either that or go to Western or something. It has always been my dream to go to UW, but at this point I don't know if it is worth it. I used to work at the "HUB" to make money for tuition at my cc and tell myself "one day I will go here too." But I really need to think about my ultimate goal which is med-school.

p.s I appreciate not sugar coating it, and being respectful at the same time. Why do they set the curve so low? Seems pretty bogus. I mean, I am pretty confident in my school work, but against 500 gunners, I just don't know.

I just called one of my friends. I guess he was inferring that the "upper division" courses are not curved as bad. I guess that logic does make sense, that the best move on = harder. I was not saying that I though Biochem was going to be easy, that would be very delusional, I just thought the curve was different.

This sucks. What if I took all my pre-reqs at the cc, then only took upper divisions at the UW. Either that or go to Western or something. It has always been my dream to go to UW, but at this point I don't know if it is worth it. I used to work at the "HUB" to make money for tuition at my cc and tell myself "one day I will go here too." But I really need to think about my ultimate goal which is med-school.

p.s I appreciate not sugar coating it, and being respectful at the same time. Why do they set the curve so low? Seems pretty bogus. I mean, I am pretty confident in my school work, but against 500 gunners, I just don't know.

Man, now I feel bad. Like we're scaring off all the young, optimistic freshman or something.

Oh, and that business about classes getting harder as you go on doesn't really hold true at UW. Even in more advanced classes, like o-chem (which technically isn't really "upper division" at UW), the averages are usually in the 70's, and I found that I got the same so-so grades in O-chem that I did in G.chem. The "stupids" drop out of g.chem after the first quarter, not after taking an entire year. Anyway, the key to doing well in O-chem is to take your courses with the right prof. (i.e NOT Raucher), and practicing. That's it. Oh, and try picking up either O-chem as a second language or an MCAT book (Kaplan, TPR) as a study guide, both condense and present material pretty well.

In upper division, the key is simply to master the material, since the grading system doesn't use a bell-curve. There are a few courses that are REALLY tough, but most of the time, the work load is fair.

Anyway, if you're just starting as a freshman at UW, take the "sciences for non-majors" classes first before you dive into G.chem>Bio+O.Chem. These survey-type classes make for easy A's and are pretty high-yeild credit-wise (This is pretty important in terms of insulating your GPA, since upper div. classes don't count for as many credits and it's harder to use them to boost your GPA) Once you get a nice 4.0 BCPM built up and have the hang of things, then jump into the pre-med sequence. Though try to start your sequences Winter or Spring quarter if you can.

If you're taking physics, take the 11x series, not the calc-based. The exam questions in the 11x classes are much like those you'll find on the MCAT, and honestly, you just don't need calc-based physics to get into med. school.

O-chem and Bio are the two series that I really suggest people who are transferring take BEFORE they come to UW, simply because O-chem is inherently pretty tricky, and Bio at UW is just completely ridiculous. (Seriously, because of the curve, anything >3.0 in 180 is generally considered "really good")

For Biochem, take the 40x series, not 44x.

Anyway, for incoming students who are reading this for the first time and being discouraged/dissuaded from going pre-med at UW, don't be. You're going to one of the top research institutions in the world, and the opportunities for EC's are really excellent. You CAN succeed academically as a pre-med, but you need to be smart about it. Always take the path of least resistance, and break away from "the herd" at all costs.

Last edited: