Is There a Point in Being an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kameha01

Reaction score
I recognize that this may be a weird question, but if MDs and DOs can do the same things, but DOs have the added ability of OMM, is there any point of pursuing an MD degree (in terms of how it makes one a better clinician, not for things like residency match rates)?

Also, out of curiosity, can OMM be an effective tool if one chooses to pursue PM&R?

Members don't see this ad.

One could argue that a better residency match will make you a far superior clinician because that's where you spend 3+ years learning the majority of what you'll be doing every day for the next 40+ years, versus spending 1-2 months at a rotation site in medical school. The foundational education from didactic matters little since everyone learns the same things to pass boards eventually anyway.

Regarding medical school education, though, many DO schools are deficient in experienced, engaged preceptors. Two months into rotations many of my classmates already have stories about their crappy rotations, being told to go home early all the time or used as free labor by clinics. I imagine this happens much more rarely at USMD schools.

Only about 25% of DOs use OMM in their practice. How do you feel the value of OMM stacks up against the advantages offered by superior rotations sites and residency opportunities? For some, OMM is invaluable. For the majority whose practice revolves around other aspects of patient care, it's a marginal gain.

To answer your final question, yes, PMR is classically DO friendly and OMM is said to be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
no there’s not a point aside from residency matching and perhaps cash pay in a few elite markets (Boston, New York, LA, Miami, San Francisco etc.). Then again, these cash pay clients probably also avoid going to low tier MDs as well so there’s not much of a difference once in practice imo

I suppose that financial aid also tends to be better at MD schools

Also PMR is DO friendly but I recall that the match rate for DOs dipped this past cycle. Not sure if more MDs are applying or if it was due to virtual interviews and what not

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose that financial aid also tends to be better at MD schools
Yes and no. To be completely honest, the DO school I was accepted to was SIGNIFICANTLY more generous than any of my MD schools. My stats were good. Not jaw-droppingly amazing, but very very solid, even for MD programs.

From my point of view, it's a bit of a double-edged sword. While many MD schools may have better financial aid programs, the (purely stat-based) standards for merit-based aid are higher. Strong stats will shine more at DO schools, which increases your likelihood of receiving scholarships. At MD schools, just about everyone has good-to-strong stats, and the resultant likelihood of receiving merit-based aid is lower.

Last edited:
Your question doesn't make any sense.

If you want to match into neurosurgery at Harvard then yeah you need the MD. If you want to become a family medicine doc then there is no point in being an MD.

If your question was "Can you pursue PM&R as a DO?" then I would say sure you can.

Almost every DO school will tell you something about their mission being to train primary care physicians.

• Love
Yes and no. To be completely honest, the DO school I was accepted to was SIGNIFICANTLY more generous than any of my MD schools. My stats were good. Not jaw-droppingly amazing, but very very solid, even for MD programs.

From my point of view, it's a bit of a double-edged sword. While many MD schools may have better financial aid programs, the (purely stat-based) standards for merit-based aid are higher. Strong stats will shine more at DO schools, which increases your likelihood of receiving scholarships. At MD schools, just about everyone has good-to-strong stats, and the resultant likelihood of receiving merit-based aid is lower.
There are such things as scholarships for med school?? :p

Out of curiosity, what DO schools offer merit-based scholarships? I was under the impressions these were only available at a handful of MD schools.

There are such things as scholarships for med school?? :p

Out of curiosity, what DO schools offer merit-based scholarships? I was under the impressions these were only available at a handful of MD schools.
Yep. If you go back into the X vs Y school forum, you'll find examples of scholarships- some of which are at DO schools. I know of at least 2 people who have been given full-rides at different DO schools.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think an MD is also more internationally transferrable, and you'd likely have some more trouble with license conversions and being able to practice abroad with a DO compared to an MD. This is really only significant if you plan to live and practice abroad at any point in your career though, probably not super significant for all :).

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think an MD is also more internationally transferrable, and you'd likely have some more trouble with license conversions and being able to practice abroad with a DO compared to an MD. This is really only significant if you plan to live and practice abroad at any point in your career though, probably not super significant for all :).

This is true. There are certain countries that DO’s don’t transfer over.

This is true. There are certain countries that DO’s don’t transfer over.
Do you know where I could find this info? I wouldn't plan on working anywhere unless I decided to move back to the NHS, Canada, or volunteer abroad for a few months?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know where I could find this info? I wouldn't plan on working anywhere unless I decided to move back to the NHS, Canada, or volunteer abroad for a few months?
Volunteering abroad shouldn’t be an issue because it’s usually the home country that hosts that license from my understanding.

I recognize that this may be a weird question, but if MDs and DOs can do the same things, but DOs have the added ability of OMM, is there any point of pursuing an MD degree (in terms of how it makes one a better clinician, not for things like residency match rates)?

Also, out of curiosity, can OMM be an effective tool if one chooses to pursue PM&R?
Please go MD if you can.

uhhh any specific reason?
No DO bias, better quality of education, better rotations, better match opportunities, better research opportunities, don't have to put in extra hours to study OMM, no need to take USMLE + COMLEX for competitive specialties, etc.

It's just extra work to be a DO student

Only about 25% of DOs use OMM in their practice.
I feel like it's only 2%.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
No DO bias, better quality of education, better rotations, better match opportunities, better research opportunities, don't have to put in extra hours to study OMM, no need to take USMLE + COMLEX for competitive specialties, etc.

It's just extra work to be a DO student

I feel like it's only 2%.
I mean if people feel that way then sure go MD, but I just want to be a doctor.

It's not about MD vs DO, it's about choosing the easiest way to become a physician (unfortunately in this day and age there are a million ways to become a doctor lmao).

I’m not trying to discouraging anyone from taking the DO route if it’s your only choice. It’s just that both paths lead to the same goal (physician), but one is just far easier. If you have the choice, why make life harder than it should be?

Personally, I chose DO because I had no other choice. I don’t mind the bias, the extra work, and OMM because that's my tax for being an idiot in undergrad. And like you, I just want to become a doctor and move on with my life.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
They aren’t dissuading someone from going DO. They’re just saying that if you have the choice, MD is the easier route once in school because of the aforementioned reasons above. Outside of geographical restriction or being a DO legacy, one should always choose MD if given the choice… well I guess if you are wanting to do OMT for a career then that’s another reason too.

They aren’t dissuading someone from going DO. They’re just saying that if you have the choice, MD is the easier route once in school because of the aforementioned reasons above. Outside of geographical restriction or being a DO legacy, one should always choose MD if given the choice… well I guess if you are wanting to do OMT for a career then that’s another reason too.
This is completely and totally off-topic but congrats on fellowship!

I guess this apparently falls to the wayside after schooling is complete but no one has mentioned the philosophical implications of choosing osteopathic vs. allopathic? Shouldn't this, in theory, have an effect on your practice?

This is completely and totally off-topic but congrats on fellowship!
Thanks! I had a hard decision going back-and-forth but I think I made the right decision.
I guess this apparently falls to the wayside after schooling is complete but no one has mentioned the philosophical implications of choosing osteopathic vs. allopathic? Shouldn't this, in theory, have an effect on your practice?
No. Maybe if it was 1922. They are the same these days. They are pretty identical educations besides OMM. MD students are also learning to treat the whole person.

Not trying to make this an MD vs. DO argument, but when OMM training is required for 2 years including testing, and considering the quality and availability of resources at the institution, I would say the 2 educations are similar (very similar), but not identical. A Gucci purse from Italy is identical to the same Gucci purse from China. Some may prefer the Gucci from China over Itally, but not many would if they have the means/choice. They are identical until you look at where/how they are made. Almost everyone says chose MD over DO if you have a choice. There are a large amount of data that compell people to say that. You are where you train is the bottom line and both training will allow you to become a good physician.

Last edited:
Not trying to make this an MD vs. DO argument, but when OMM training is required for 2 years including testing, and considering the quality and availability of resources at the institution, I would say the 2 educations are VERY similar (almost identical), but not identical. A Guchi purse from Italy is identical to the same Guchi purse from China. Some may prefer the Gulchi from China over Itally, but not many would if they have the means/choice. They are identical until you look at where/how they are made. Almost everyone says chose MD over DO if you have a choice. There are a large amount of data that compell people to say that. You are where you train is the bottom line and both training will allow you to become a good physician.
I agree overall but Gucci vs Fucci is a little stretch of an analogy lol. Maybe Gucci vs another Italian brand that is lesser status but still a decent bag in its own right.

Not trying to make this an MD vs. DO argument, but when OMM training is required for 2 years including testing, and considering the quality and availability of resources at the institution, I would say the 2 educations are VERY similar (almost identical), but not identical. A Guchi purse from Italy is identical to the same Guchi purse from China. Some may prefer the Gulchi from China over Itally, but not many would if they have the means/choice. They are identical until you look at where/how they are made. Almost everyone says chose MD over DO if you have a choice. There are a large amount of data that compell people to say that. You are where you train is the bottom line and both training will allow you to become a good physician.
Ok ok We get it, DOs are bootleg MDs.

I agree overall but Gucci vs Fucci is a little stretch of an analogy lol. Maybe Gucci vs another Italian brand that is lesser status but still a decent bag in its own right.
I would use a baseball analogy with questioning patients. Our area has a legacy baseball team, so most patients have an understanding of baseball. I would tell them Physicians come in 2 flavors, MD's and DO's . MD's represent a more traditional physician. Generally, DO's observe your musculoskeletal system in relation to a more holistic approach to your overall health. MD and DO is like the National.League and American League in baseball. Some differences, but it's still baseball.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Go where you like to go, a place that fits your personality which you will get a feel when you go to interviews. I know some great DO docs, and bad MD docs and vice versa, so really dont get caught up in that. You are gonna be spending 4 years in that place. Yeah OMM can be extra stuff you have to do while you are studying for all the other stuff, so keep that in your consideration. But OMM is a great tool, you only realize this once you deal with patients that have chronic pain. Some docs would rather keep giving them NSAIDS. BTW, DO does not mean you are gonna have easier time than MD schools.