Is there a right way to ask admissions about the waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sthpawslugger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a waitlisted student, is there a "right" way to inquire about where I am on that list? I understand many schools don't actually rank-or provide that info- due to a variety of reasons, but to know top 1/3, middle 1/3, bottom 1/3 would give me an idea of whether I should hang in there or begin reapplying.

Members don't see this ad.

You can always first politely inquire if the waitlist is ranked and then if it is possible to get an idea of where you stand. Whether they'll tell you depends on the school.

That said, no matter where you are on a waitlist, I would hang in there and get prepared for reapplying. Even being the first person on the waitlist doesn't carry a guarantee, as schools initially tend to over-accept to varying degrees. Stay on the waitlist til the end because you certainly never know (especially once multiple acceptance holders drop their surplus on April 30th), but conduct your life as if you expect to be reapplying.

That said, if you're going to be a reapplicant, make sure your application has improved significantly from last go-around. As has been quoted many times on SDN: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ear-wamc-advice-please.1191695/#post-17595427

Reactions: 1 user