is there anything wrong with applying really late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemzy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year, and my GPA is not bad but not great. I haven't done research yet, and my volunteering and clinical experience is very minimal.

I was wondering, if it would be ok to stay at my university an extra year, taking less classes (maybe 3 per quarter) while doing lots of volunteering, research, tutoring,etc...

Will I be at a disadvantage applying during my 5th year of college?

Members don't see this ad.

nemzy said:
I am a second year, and my GPA is not bad but not great. I haven't done research yet, and my volunteering and clinical experience is very minimal.

I was wondering, if it would be ok to stay at my university an extra year, taking less classes (maybe 3 per quarter) while doing lots of volunteering, research, tutoring,etc...

Will I be at a disadvantage applying during my 5th year of college?

Not as much as you would be if you applied without getting all that stuff done. You'll delay your admission a year, but that's okay. It beats having to reapply and spend all that money twice.

Nope, it shouldn't be a problem. A lot of people take an extra year, whether for coursework, plain old work, or other stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think it would be that bad...however what about doing fulltime research or EMT during that year instead? you could still keep up the volunteering, but i wouldn't just take filler classes to beef up the resume. fulltime real world experience that relates to the medical field will look much better.

It's better than applying with a weaker GPA. Take your time if you have to :thumbup:

only if your stats decline would it be disadvantageous

There shouldn't be a problem as long as you improve your GPA, while keeping yourself involved in something medically related.....there really is no rush, take your time....what matters most is that you strengthen your app and improve your chances.....good luck!! :luck: