Is there something I can do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWorkNeverDone

Carters Mistress
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After first day of classes, I realize I have a little bit of a prb.

I have this one teacher that is going to be using powerpoints throughout the whole quarter. Only thing is that he doesnt have these powerpoints available anywhere to print before class or after. I have a prb trying to copy down everything I see on the screen and write down everything he is saying. A tape recorder would be easy but I work as well and really dont have time to sit there and go over lectures while im trying to go over what i wrote.

Anyways, I asked if it was possible for me to get the powerpoints since i have a diff. with audio and visual learning at the same time ( especially when the audio is different from the visual) All I was told was that the outline he will be providing will help. But I dont feel satisfied, is there something legally I can do to get these powerpoints? Or am I just being a butthead? BE GENTLE WITH ME :)

Members don't see this ad.

DrWorkNeverDone said:

I have this one teacher that is going to be using powerpoints throughout the whole quarter. Only thing is that he doesnt have these powerpoints available anywhere to print before class or after. I have a prb trying to copy down everything I see on the screen and write down everything he is saying. A tape recorder would be easy but I work as well and really dont have time to sit there and go over lectures while im trying to go over what i wrote.

Anyways, I asked if it was possible for me to get the powerpoints since i have a diff. with audio and visual learning at the same time ( especially when the audio is different from the visual) All I was told was that the outline he will be providing will help. But I dont feel satisfied, is there something legally I can do to get these powerpoints? Or am I just being a butthead? BE GENTLE WITH ME :)
Try visiting the learning resource center of some sort that you have on campus. If you have a documented learning disability, the school is obligated to provide certain services to facilitate your education.

DrWorkNeverDone said:

i don't think you have a learning disabililty based on what you say (as the above poster suggested). I think it is fair to have those slides. i would go nuts if i were in your situation. are there TAs you can talk to? perhaps they can persuade the prof to post the pp presentations somewhere.
if it is impossible to get those slides, maybe you should cut down the work hours and spend more time studying. i know that might not be the best option, especially if you are working to pay tuition. i would record the lecutres anyway, you don't have to transcribe them but if you listen to them again, it will be atleast 90 minutes of study time for that class for each lecture. that is probably a reasonable amount of time you should spend studying for anyone class on a daily basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school a professor did the same thing.....she said that if she gave everyone access to her powerpoint slides, then nobody would come to class. So she gave access to a bare bones outline and you had to fill it in based on the lecture and powerpoint presentation in class.

Maybe you could speak with your professor one-on-one and try to get them--its worth a shot :)

Good luck :thumbup:

-tx

Keep in mind that nobody else is getting these slides either, so at least no one has an unfair advantage over you. Do you have a laptop? It's often easier to take notes electronically.

At my universities biology department most professors use powerpoint in teaching their courses. Most professors make powerpoint lectures available to students, but I took genetics and biochemistry with professors who refused to make their powerpoint notes accesible to students. Mind you, none of them provided study guides or outlines either. I remember last semester there was a big thing in the department because students were complaining that a professor of invertebrate zoology was not making powerpoint lectures available to students (I have heard this professors course is uber hard). A small group of students complained to the department chair, dean of the college, and individuals in administration. A board of individuals from the university actually looked at the situation, but decided in favor of the professor because all the information in the powerpoints was available in the course textbook and questions on exams did not test information that was unique to the powerpoints

deal with it, butthead ;)

flash said:
deal with it, butthead ;)

heheh :) thanks for all your guys suggestions. I think I will have to start bringing my computer :) its true I am a way faster typer than writer....very good point. Yeah, I am actually lucky that one of the chair people for the Bug department is one of my professors, so if things are not looking up on Friday I will def. talk to him.

As for the learning thing, during the internship I had over the summer we were assessed with what our best learning skills are, and I am visual. So for all those who get fustrated with a teacher talking and going through powerslides,,,more than likely you are just a visual learner. I was told that this learning skill is common in college students but that professors forget often what it is like to be in our seat and try to use audio skills while at the same time trying to use visual errrrrrrrrr :)

Really though, thanks for your suggestions, if the typing thing doesn't work I will def. just have to go with the recording err more money out the window errr :)

Exactly deal with it. Its the prof's decision to give out information or not. He may have a reason not to distribute the slides. Maybe call me crazy but maybe he actually wants you to study the text book and not just the hand outs. I know of way too many people who study just the handouts and wind up failing. Sad but true. Also the prof has prob heard the same complaints before so your pleas are prob falling on deaf ears. Always remember life isn't fair and we can't always get what we want but it is what me make of the opportunities that are presented to us. If you don't think you can't work with out a safety net then why be a doctor. Sometimes you'll get tested (treat patients) on information that may not have ever been covered in any class you ever took. So why depend on a crutch. Stop whining and study.

JohnB79 said:
Exactly deal with it. Its the prof's decision to give out information or not. He may have a reason not to distribute the slides. Maybe call me crazy but maybe he actually wants you to study the text book and not just the hand outs. I know of way too many people who study just the handouts and wind up failing. Sad but true. Also the prof has prob heard the same complaints before so your pleas are prob falling on deaf ears. Always remember life isn't fair and we can't always get what we want but it is what me make of the opportunities that are presented to us. If you don't think you can't work with out a safety net then why be a doctor. Sometimes you'll get tested (treat patients) on information that may not have ever been covered in any class you ever took. So why depend on a crutch. Stop whining and study.

First off, there is a text, which I have already started reading, but most of the time, and correct me if I am wrong, most professors take things for a test from the power point or whatever is discussed in class. Second off, this isn't medical school. This is a stupid bug class I have to take for my major. Now I am sorry that you know students who just read the handouts and fail but that is not the way I work! Second, I don't know if I stated this, but it was the first day of class-and I asked the question first before many other students behind me had the same questions. I don't think the slides are a safety net, I think it is a way of knowing how the professor may look at something and how it may differ from how you are thinking and therefore rising questions, and since we are on the whole thing of being a doc anyways, arn't we suppose to ask questions? How can we ask questions without the proper knowledge first? When the patient comes in with a belly ache and wierd rash that we have never seen before, do we not go back to the basic knowledge we have and try to see where that patient is diverging from that basic knowledge, that important basic knowledge that we spend two years looking at books and powerpoints and tests to get and another two years practicing and then more years of residency, so I am sorry to say there are many safety nets before we go running around practicing medicine. THEREFORE, if this class, as it is a beginning entomology class, my basic knowledge, then I should have that safety net just like any other medical student would want and deserves! :mad:

Yeah, those classes suck, especially with my aweful handwriting. Sometimes they sell the slides in the library (I'm sure you've probably expended this option). Write down the basics, and listen. Then read and fill in to reinforce what you heard and to add to what you wrote down. It's important not to fall behind (from experience).