Is this a good experience for my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pittylabull

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new so excuse any mistakes. I recently was offered a spot as a camp counselor at an animal camp for the summer, where I can teach a class about animals and get hands-on experience with animals. I'm not sure if there is a vet on site. Does this seem like a good opportunity or should I try to get something better for the summer? By the way I'm a sophomore in college so this will likely be one of two summers I have left before applying to Vet School.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm new so excuse any mistakes. I recently was offered a spot as a camp counselor at an animal camp for the summer, where I can teach a class about animals and get hands-on experience with animals. I'm not sure if there is a vet on site. Does this seem like a good opportunity or should I try to get something better for the summer? By the way I'm a sophomore in college so this will likely be one of two summers I have left before applying to Vet School.

What are your other experiences? Even without a vet it will still be animal experience, which you'll need for VMCAS. Any sort of leadership experience is valuable. If you're low on vet hours, it may be more worthwhile to spend time working or shadowing a vet to build a relationship for a future LOR.

Is this something that will help add variety to the experiences you already have, and is it something you want to do? If yes, then go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like a really good opportunity! You'll definitely need vet experience too, but that sounds like a good leadership opportunity, and it's definitely not something that everyone gets to do either!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

It depends on the current experience you already have. You should have a good amount of veterinary hours with as much diversity as possible. I would say at least 1,000 hours total in all areas if you can. Animal experience is good to have as well, but not as important. It is something you do need to include on VMCAS though. Think about what you currently have, and see if it will truly ADD to your application. If it won't significantly add or make you stand out very much, I say no and try to find something that will.

Great, thanks! I do have some vet hours wildlife rehab, large animal, lab animal and I'm currently volunteering at the humane society.

Reactions: 1 users