Is this legal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charcoales

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone wanted to donate like 10 bucks and they said we could use it to help others who can't afford their copay (medicaid), can we accept this and put it into a iou jar or something only for those who swear they have 0 money? Or is this illegal? What if someone donated like 100 or something?

Members don't see this ad.

I know employees who tried this, but our store manager came by and said the donation money is now property of the company and must be placed in the register. I would check with corporate to verify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone wanted to donate like 10 bucks and they said we could use it to help others who can't afford their copay (medicaid), can we accept this and put it into a iou jar or something only for those who swear they have 0 money? Or is this illegal? What if someone donated like 100 or something?

It's just easier to waive the copay or get them a gift card that matches the price of the copay. I am sure that at an independent pharmacy it would be fine to just keep an envelope in the C-II safe but at Walmart, that would raise all kinds of questions and issues.
The system is set up the way is set up and that's what we have to work with. You can't run a welfare office out of the pharmacy and possibly put your job in jeopardy.

Members don't see this ad :)

Just be thankful for the $10 tip

Reactions: 1 users

Of course it's not illegal, people can donate their money to anyone they want to (at least for the most part, one can't donate to organizations on the government's terrorist watch list for example.)

But is it against your company policy? Probably. I would advise your generous customer to donate to the Salvation Army (most likely they have a convenient bell ringer collecting donations right outside your pharmacy!) or whatever appropriate local charity is in your area.

The donor found it easy by simply giving money to the pharmacy but there must be something another way to donate the medicines to the needy people. In some hospitals, it has been seen that people place the unused medicines in a box and the hospital management distribute it to the poor people by properly checking it.

The donor found it easy by simply giving money to the pharmacy but there must be something another way to donate the medicines to the needy people. In some hospitals, it has been seen that people place the unused medicines in a box and the hospital management distribute it to the poor people by properly checking it.

Unless the medicine is unit-dosed, it can't be legally redistributed to people, because of the potential problem with tampering. (which doesn't mean that it isn't happening illegally, a local charity in my area is known for giving out expired OTC medications to people.)

Unless the medicine is unit-dosed, it can't be legally redistributed to people, because of the potential problem with tampering. (which doesn't mean that it isn't happening illegally, a local charity in my area is known for giving out expired OTC medications to people.)
It’s illegal when it’s unit dosed, too. Unless you have monitored the temperature and UV exposure, that medication is legally considered adulterated.

It can be if it's a free clinic. They get a lot of drugs from people dropping off drugs that haven't been used. But they have different rules.

It’s illegal when it’s unit dosed, too. Unless you have monitored the temperature and UV exposure, that medication is legally considered adulterated.

That is a good point.

It can be if it's a free clinic. They get a lot of drugs from people dropping off drugs that haven't been used. But they have different rules.

Seriously? And who is responsible if they redispense Cyanide Tylenol? I don't like to see drugs wasted either, but this sort of redispensing sounds like a tragedy in the making.

Reactions: 1 user
We have a 40 dram vial at our drive thru window specifically for "abandoned change". When it gets full it goes into a bag in a drawer at the pharmacist's station.

We use it to buy dog treats for our dogs that come through the DT and have used it many times to help people with their copays.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk