Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poditrained

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First of all, interesting username lol

Alright, on to business:

Your plan is solid and will work. However, being at 103 credits (17 away from 120 & a degree), why not just suck it up and actually get your degree? You've worked for it for almost 3 years and you don't want anything to show for it?

You'll have an entire year to do your app and wait for an admission decision and matriculate. That one year could be used to finish up your degree.

Instead of a semester off, take a light 12 - credit load, shadow on the weekends, and study during the week for the MCAT. Being in a school environment will actually help you study versus staying home.

January isn't really late. I think it's midway. April onwards is when I would panic.

tl;dr - your plan will work, it's not bad, but why not just get your degree? You'll be home waiting to hear back from schools anyway, why not use that time to finish up 17 credits?

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed lol. I'm a fan of puns and oddly enough it was the first one that came to mind and wasn't taken by another sdn user

Thank you for the insight! I'm actually farther away from a degree than one might think. I did the IB program in high school and the variety of credits I came into university with weren't all applied towards my declared major. (Business Management) So in other words, I have a bunch of filler credits that get me to the 90 mark without counting towards my degree. That being said, getting my degree would mean I'd spend another 1-2 years in undergrad grinding out business courses that don't really interest me. And since I'm just about done with prereqs, this plan just appealed more to me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lol...

I hear you. Have you looked into getting just a liberal arts / general studies degree then? Most liberal arts colleges will give you a LibArts/Gen Studies degree when you hit 120 anyway. So take that route if you're not willing to grind it out and get the business degree.

I just hate the idea that you've spent money for 2 years, studied, went through stress, and you won't have a degree to show for it. I know you won't use it but just to have it and say you have one too, you know?

Good luck when you apply! I'll be in the 2017/2018 cycle too so feel free to come back here periodically to converse with others that are also applying around that time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What Phoot said.

Get the degree. It'll go a long way even if you have to grind it out.

505 for MCAT a great score.

Reactions: 1 users
Getting the degree would leave you more future possibilties. What if you want to do a dual program and get a Master's or PhD along with your DPM? What if you fall in love with anatomy or some other subject and decide to go back to school after pod school for a Master's or PhD? What if you fall in love with something else on your outside rotations and decide to go back to MD or DO school? You would need a Bachelor's in any of those situations.

I don't think applying without the Bachelor's would significantly alter your chances of getting in. Just make sure you consider all your options.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users