Would i get in Podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starshine5252

Reaction score
I am a senior graduate this fall interested in applying for the 2023-2024 cycle however i haven’t took the MCAT im planning on taking it 9/01 but I’m also having doubts and thinking of taking it next year mid january would this be too late in the cycle ? Could i get in with a science GPA of 3.9 and a little of shadowing experience with a Dpm ?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a science GPA of 3.9 I would do the following first
  • Take your MCAT. Aim as high as possible.
  • Apply MD or DO. A science GPA that high makes you very competitive for MD/DO
  • If you didn't get in this year, try reapplying and retaking your MCAT to get a higher score.
  • If for some reason you didn't get in on your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th try, apply to podiatry. It will be here for you haha, you're already accepted.
If you decide you REALLY want to go into pod consider this
  • Go to the cheapest school possible (Texas). Podiatry education is similar across the board, so you should try and spend the least amount of $ possible.
  • Apply for scholarships. Mitigate the cost.
  • Get the best grades you can. GPA and Rank matter for getting invitations for competitive away rotations, and ultimately matching into a competitive program.
  • ROI and Debt to income ratio. Podiatry salary has an impressive range of anywhere from 80k - 300k+. Podiatry school debt can be horrible if you need to take out loans (300k+ at the end). The job market isn't the best right now. If you play your cards wrong you could easily end up at a 100k salary job with 300k in debt. According to white coat investor, anything greater than a 2:1 debt to income ratio is a bad investment.
  • The Job market and potential residency shortage. There are two new schools that have opened up (LECOM and UGTRV) this year. The Texas school has promised to open up more slots for residents, whereas LECOM has not made that promise. There is a possibility that in your year there could be a residency shortage, meaning you could get all the way through the rigors of podiatry school and not match. Adding 80 new seats a year also impacts the job market as well. The demand for podiatry isn't as high as other specialties and that is in part to saturation. Adding more graduates per year increases that saturation.
  • I love podiatry, and matched into a top surgical program. I don't say this stuff to deter you, but so you know what you're getting into. If you can keep your costs down like I did, your debt to income ratio low, and get great grades, and match into an excellent program, you can really thrive in podiatry.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a senior graduate this fall interested in applying for the 2023-2024 cycle however i haven’t took the MCAT im planning on taking it 9/01 but I’m also having doubts and thinking of taking it next year mid january would this be too late in the cycle ? Could i get in with a science GPA of 3.9 and a little of shadowing experience with a Dpm ?

I recommend that you read the resident/attending sub forum to get a real life glimpse of what this profession is truly like.

Also podiatry schools will take anyone with a pulse, I think. The reason why I say “I think” is because there might be a possibility that the school would allow a corpse to be wheeled into the classroom as long as the family is willing to pay the tuition.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

I suggest you follow the advice given above:

1) Thoroughly shadowing
2) Reading through the resident and attending forums

Please repost to the following thread when you have more information: What Are My Chances: WAMC Podiatry

It is not about getting in. You will get in somewhere.

It is about staying in, passing boards, being competitive GPA-wise for a good residency program.

Closing thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.