Is TPR enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if people think TPR is enough. So if you do the ton of homework they assign you and the 5 tests (3 TPR + AAMC 7 and 8) is this enough?

It seems like we're putting all our eggs in TPR's basket. They are actually recommending we don't do any other PT beyond the 5 administered and focus any spare time on review. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

One thing I don't like about TPR is how they sell themselves as the gospel word. I think its a good idea to use some other materials just to get a variety of passages (with the assumption that AAMC questions are more similar to an average of several test company's questions rather than any single one's questions).

I also think the schedule sucks. We're learning new material 3 days before the MCAT!

I like the teachers and the books though. What I'm doing is adding an EK Verbal 101 test each week (only takes ~2 hours with solutions). I just finished the PS workbook so I'm planing to work some Kaplan passages for additional practice (I'm coming up weak in PS). I'm also probably going to take the 5R and 6R just for more practice - though I agree that the time may be better spent reviewing...

Wait I'm confused, I'm in TPR right now and they told me that practice test they give us are 5R and 6R, not 7 and 8. Also, the aamc website said 5 and 6 are the only tests available in paper and pencil format. I was planning on taking 7 for practice tomorrow, but I don't want to take it if that's the test TPR is going to give me!

tch001 said:
Wait I'm confused, I'm in TPR right now and they told me that practice test they give us are 5R and 6R, not 7 and 8. Also, the aamc website said 5 and 6 are the only tests available in paper and pencil format. I was planning on taking 7 for practice tomorrow, but I don't want to take it if that's the test TPR is going to give me!

yeah - that'd be a waste of a test. You may wanna verify with your TPR folks what test they are giving you.