This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ch3cooh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, so currently I am a fall semester sophomore at Rutgers , I am a CBN ( Bio major with a focus in cellular bio and neuroscience), my first semester in college I failed Calc, and then the next semester I retook it replacing my grade. I wanted to know is it worth transferring to a school like UCF or FSU where they would take my GPA from rutgers not directly as rutgers has it with the grade replacement but rather with an F and the C+ i got after? My reason for wanting to transfer is I believe Rutgers has an extremely difficult course load and a lot more weed out classes then the other schools. My first year GPA was a 2.7 and this semester I am going to end with a 3.7 which would bring my overall GPA to around 3.2-3.3 I believe. But my transfer transcript that they would take would have a 2.56 (due to the F). What I want to know is:
-Are FSU and UCF on a level with Rutgers when sending out my applications for med school
- I know I can do a lot better at those schools after seeing exams from each for the same classes I am taking now, which are so much easier.
-Is it worth having the 2.5 transfer out of rutgers GPA?
-When I go to send out my applications how would this look? any different then if I would have just 1 transcript all from rutgers , but still with an F in it not being factored towards my GPA

Members don't see this ad.

I'd suggest staying. Seeing your GPA from this semester, you definitely seem to have adjusted to Rutgers and am doing well now. You don't know how a transfer could affect you as its a completely new environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem isnt me adjusting to Rutgers as much as me finally figuring out how to study and figuring out what ways I learn best , which I can continue to do regardless of the environment im in, but what I really want to know is, is UCF and FSU on the same level as Rutgers? For example I know that another school in New Jersey , Rowan is seen as an over rated high school, so when my friend transferred to Rutgers from there alot of their credits were not accepted. When I called each school and asked how my credits would transfer it was a complete transfer, meaning that Rutger's intensity is accepted everywhere and I guess highly regarded ? But is it the same for the schools I would be transferring to?

the reputation of the school you graduated from matters little in comparison to your GPA, MCAT, clinical exposure, and maturity in med school applications.

My gut is that rutgers and UCF or FSU are fairly comperable in terms of prestige but also if you want to go to MS in the north east, schools will probably be more familiar with Rutgers than the florida schools, although both of the florida schools are pretty large and most MS will have experience with them anyway

tldr it prob doesnt matter but at least you'll be going somewhere sunny

Your transfer will have no effect on your admissions decision so long as you can answer why..and easier wouldn't be the right answer. As long as it's a 4 year university it wouldn't matter

What are your opinions on opportunities each school has to offer as well?

I think assuming you have the rest of the package (GPA, MCAT, EC), school reputation becomes extremely important. FSU and UCF are not on the same tier as Rutgers. I had to google UCF.

When I went for interviews, 80 to 90% of interviewees were HYPSM, Ivy or Chinese Ivy. My school at rank 30 to 50, was the lowest ranked school there.