Is your school/hospital still wearing masks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1064759

With Covid pretty much over, I was wondering if it's just my hospital wearing masks. We're required to be vaccinated + boostered, like most places.

I know some other school-affiliated hospitals which don't wear them at all so just curious.

Edit: by over, I mean on it's tail end. It will never be 'over', just like the flu.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are still masking officially, but outside of direct patient care areas most staff have stopped wearing them. Pretty much everyone I work with has either had Covid or had all their family members get it but they never did so now they just aren’t worried about it anymore. I suspect the hospital will officially go mask optional once some big name systems go first.

Reactions: 1 user
We are still masking officially, but outside of direct patient care areas most staff have stopped wearing them. Pretty much everyone I work with has either had Covid or had all their family members get it but they never did so now they just aren’t worried about it anymore. I suspect the hospital will officially go mask optional once some big name systems go first.
Doubt it.

Our hospital went mask free in April. In May we got a letter from CMS saying that hospitals had to require masks or risk losing Medicare funding.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Both the hospitals that I work at are still requiring masks in patient facing areas. With just staff, you can be without a mask at one of them, but at the other, we're still in mid-range precautions, which means continuing to wear masks and distance when possible.

I’m convinced my school nor any hospital in Illinois will ever give up the mask mandate. Must be nice.

It's the same way with Maryland in hospitals and Physical Therapy centers. Don't think they'll ever get rid of them over here either?

Reactions: 1 users
It's pretty sad that hospitals are being threated with losing medicare funding if they don't require masks, vax, boosters. "The science" just doesn't back this up and screams politics dictating medicine. I'm all for freedom to choose to wear mask, get vaccinated, get 27 boosters if you want but mandating it is ridiculous.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm active duty and it's still required in clinics and med groups on base.

Still required here in patient-facing areas and recommended at least in the school.

In patient facing areas and clinical skills? Yes.

Library, lecture halls, classes? No.

It's pretty sad that hospitals are being threated with losing medicare funding if they don't require masks, vax, boosters. "The science" just doesn't back this up and screams politics dictating medicine. I'm all for freedom to choose to wear mask, get vaccinated, get 27 boosters if you want but mandating it is ridiculous.
dawg how are you going to say the science doesn't back up masks and vaccines in hospitals. I think you're in the wrong internet forum lolol. Vaccines for various diseases have been required in hospitals for ages, this is just one more vaccine.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 20 users
I’m convinced my school nor any hospital in Illinois will ever give up the mask mandate. Must be nice.
Yeah I wonder if the loss of intimacy between the patient-physician relationship from masks would eventually outweigh the health benefits.

It seems like some people think wearing masks for the rest of our lives is the solution.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I wonder if the loss of intimacy between the patient-physician relationship from masks would eventually outweigh the health benefits.

It seems like some people think wearing masks for the rest of our lives is the solution.
There's definitely a cost to the masks. I actually have my staff ask all my patients to unmask if they are comfortable doing so even before I'm in the room just so I can watch them talk, articulate, etc. I get a lot of my H&N exam from observing and the mask cuts so much of that out. I probably have 5% of patients who prefer to keep it on until the exam which is fine; the rest usually say "thank god!" when asked to take it off.

For hard of hearing patients I will typically remove mine during the encounter as well because those patients rely heavily on lip reading. There's definitely a difference in rapport and comfort when we can see each other's face and have a normal human interaction. There's a lot of subtlety and non-verbal communication that gets lost with masking.

Reactions: 12 users
Doubt it.

Our hospital went mask free in April. In May we got a letter from CMS saying that hospitals had to require masks or risk losing Medicare funding.
I predict a lot of back and forth over the next 10 years based on who is in which office. Presidential administrations don't directly control CMS, obviously, but these cultural changes absolutely ricochet down the line and result in pressure for CMS to require or not require certain things for payment. Friends who work for CMS always talk about how much the language changes when a new administration comes on board.
There's definitely a cost to the masks. I actually have my staff ask all my patients to unmask if they are comfortable doing so even before I'm in the room just so I can watch them talk, articulate, etc. I get a lot of my H&N exam from observing and the mask cuts so much of that out. I probably have 5% of patients who prefer to keep it on until the exam which is fine; the rest usually say "thank god!" when asked to take it off.

For hard of hearing patients I will typically remove mine during the encounter as well because those patients rely heavily on lip reading. There's definitely a difference in rapport and comfort when we can see each other's face and have a normal human interaction. There's a lot of subtlety and non-verbal communication that gets lost with masking.
I work pretty often in a safety net hospital. Native English speakers are more rare than foreigners, and even native speakers have such different dialect from a typical highly educated med student/resident/attending that communication is tough even without masks. Try getting a good history from a 55 year old Guatemalan man with a complicated disorder and limited medical records while both sides are masked.

At the same time we are in a very liberal city. The mask culture is still very strong in the hospital and even out of the hospital. I had a meeting with a small cohort of med students and the director of our program yesterday and the half of students who showed up maskless got shamed into masking up again.

At the same time we are in a very liberal city. The mask culture is still very strong in the hospital and even out of the hospital. I had a meeting with a small cohort of med students and the director of our program yesterday and the half of students who showed up maskless got shamed into masking up again.
I'm also in a very liberal city where most places are officially maskless but people still wear masks to virtue signal or whatever.

Funny, I also had a meeting with a small cohort of students and an MD today. The MD asked me to wear a mask and I respectfully refused because a) we're literally all triple vaccinated and I could care less about the .000001% of infection and b) the rules literally say masks are 'strongly recommended'. The room got a little quiet for sure after he said sorry and took back his statement.

I'm absolutely confident I have some classmates gossiping about me not wearing a mask but I'm not losing any sleep over it. At this point, I think most people are just sheeps to the system.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Dawg, I’m saying that because it doesn’t. And if this forum can’t handle someone with a different opinion after reading studies as a fully trained board certified physician and have a discussion about it, then maybe this isn’t a forum for doctors, scientist etc. I’m not an anti vaxxer and I didn’t say all vaccines. Just not the Covid vaccine (which is very politically and money driven). Why do you believe the science supports mandating masks and the vax in hospitals? There’s ample evidence that masks have been minimal at best at preventing spread as well as vaccines. Vaccines do have evidence that it decreases severe disease and death though which most of the studies had as their primary endpoint. But the populations that Covid is most severe to are the elderly and/or those with significant comorbid health conditions and I believe they should get the vax to prevent severe disease and/or death. Why should hospitals be threatened with loss of Medicare funding or healthcare workers fired for not mandating the vax to its employees?

• Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 14 users
Just not the Covid vaccine (which is very politically and money driven).

Why should hospitals be threatened with loss of Medicare funding or healthcare workers fired for not mandating the vax to its employees?
Maybe because Medicare funding, by definition, is very politically and money driven?

Dawg, I’m saying that because it doesn’t. And if this forum can’t handle someone with a different opinion after reading studies as a fully trained board certified physician and have a discussion about it, then maybe this isn’t a forum for doctors, scientist etc. I’m not an anti vaxxer and I didn’t say all vaccines. Just not the Covid vaccine (which is very politically and money driven). Why do you believe the science supports mandating masks and the vax in hospitals? There’s ample evidence that masks have been minimal at best at preventing spread as well as vaccines. Vaccines do have evidence that it decreases severe disease and death though which most of the studies had as their primary endpoint. But the populations that Covid is most severe to are the elderly and/or those with significant comorbid health conditions and I believe they should get the vax to prevent severe disease and/or death. Why should hospitals be threatened with loss of Medicare funding or healthcare workers fired for not mandating the vax to its employees?
Very surprised to see this sentiment here. Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but 1y ago and you'd be in big trouble

Reactions: 2 users
I'm also in a very liberal city where most places are officially maskless but people still wear masks to virtue signal or whatever.

Funny, I also had a meeting with a small cohort of students and an MD today. The MD asked me to wear a mask and I respectfully refused because a) we're literally all triple vaccinated and I could care less about the .000001% of infection and b) the rules literally say masks are 'strongly recommended'. The room got a little quiet for sure after he said sorry and took back his statement.

I'm absolutely confident I have some classmates gossiping about me not wearing a mask but I'm not losing any sleep over it. At this point, I think most people are just sheeps to the system.
I don't require my students to wear masks when we're in my office between patients, but if I asked them to and they refused it would not end well for them.

• Okay...
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Very surprised to see this sentiment here. Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but 1y ago and you'd be in big trouble
Why, everything DOswag said was on point.

Why, everything DOswag said was on point.
Still, if he said that 6 months - 1 year earlier he’d be banned here. If he said that irl he’d be reprimanded by his school

Still, if he said that 6 months - 1 year earlier he’d be banned here. If he said that irl he’d be reprimanded by his school
I think it is reasonable to accept that what we know about COVID, masks, and vaccines has changed in the last 6-12 months. 12 months ago (really more like 16 now), if you were fully vaccinated you really were quite unlikely to contract and spread COVID because it was the alpha variant was still around. In summer 2022 when Fauci is telling us that this vaccine doesn't do a good job at protecting against symptomatic infection or spread of disease, well I'd be kind of foolish to say it's the best thing since sliced bread.
RE vaccinations, I think this reflects the changing data. As above, I think there was good evidence behind vaccine mandates back during the initial vaccine rollout. Over time, I think it is now clear that becoming fully vaccinated and even getting boosted does little to create "herd immunity" in the setting of new variants. If the new updated boosters targeting newer variants prove effective once again in curbing symptomatic infection and transmission, I think that vaccine mandates could once again become warranted, just as they have been for seasonable flu vaccines for years now. Of course we will need to see the data before we come to any real conclusions. I also think that from a population standpoint it makes sense for everyone to get vaccinated, because the more severe cases of COVID that we prevent the lower the healthcare costs will be for everyone. But that is a different argument.

If there is data to support not masking in healthcare settings, I am not aware of it. My understanding is that recent data shows that wearing a mask is less likely to prevent you from getting infected in public than it was with earlier variants, and that makes sense because if you're the only one wearing a mask in a crowded restaurant full of other people not wearing masks then sure it's not going to do anything. But as far as I'm aware, as a means of source control (i.e. an infectious person wearing a mask) it remains effective in reducing (not eliminating) transmission. Thus in a healthcare setting where doctors and nurses are taking care of sick people and are likely to be exposed to COVID, having universal two-way masking still makes sense. With the caveats for above that you need to use common sense when caring for patients who are hard of hearing, etc.

This review is among the best I've seen, though it is now getting a bit dated and it would be useful if we could get newer data. If there is new data in the healthcare setting I'd be interested to see it:

Finally, pre-emptive warning: let's keep things away from politics. Perhaps against my better judgement let's see if we can have a civil discourse on these topics, but if this goes down into political or anti-science directions, the thread will get closed.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Even if vaxxed, the chances of getting COVID are much higher than .000001%. The chances of a bad outcome from COVID, even if perfectly healthy, are much higher than that esp if we include post COVID syndromes. It's perhaps more accurate to say that you have personally decided that the annoyance of wearing a mask outweighs your perceived risk of getting COVID.

I think there's clearly room for debate about the utility of masks. It's clear that we can't Vax our way out of COVID -- the virus mutates faster than we can produce vaccines, and immunity from a vax seems to wane pretty quickly (3-6 months). So in my view, the question is whether we're going to weak masks forever or live with the increased risk of getting COVID. I dislike wearing a mask at work, but I haven't gotten a winter URI in 2 years.

My current process is to "read the room". The more people that are present, the more likely I am to wear a mask. if others are wearing masks, or if someone in the group asks for masks, then we all wear masks. To me, it's common courtesy. Maybe that MD has some chronic condition which greatly increases their risk of a bad outcome from COVID -- if others wearing a mask helps decrease that, seems like a small sacrifice.

IMHO vaxxing hosp employees is reasonable. Sure, high risk patients should all get vaxxed too. But since vax efficact wanes quickly, some high risk patients won't respond well to vax, etc, I think it makes sense to protect patients by vaxing workers.

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 15 users
Our hospital re-assesses on a weekly basis to determine what to do with masks that week. However, even the most lenient policy still includes masks in patient facing areas.

Even when I do full days of clinic, it just doesn't really bother me to wear a mask the whole day. I've gotten used to it. I forget I'm even wearing it unless it comes up in discussion.

You're right, some people lost their minds and were convinced that everything Fauci said was golden, instead of consulting known experts. The government basically allowed one person to guide this pandemic, when there were far more experienced people in the field that would have contributed significantly more, but for some reason, Fauci was the individual who they trusted the most....A mistake in my opinion. Not saying he was wrong on everything, just that we should have had others weighing in.

I regress, you are right to say that anyone who said anything remotely against it would have been banned, just like what they did on SM.

• Dislike
We’re still wearing them.

I’m double vaccinated/boosted but it finally “got me” last month. It sucked—I was required to stay home for 10 days because I was still testing positive till day 10. Which makes sense as the current variants break through the vaccines/prior exposure better (though I’m thankful I was vaccinated), and I need to keep my patients and staff safe.

From a purely a selfish point of view it really sucks—I’m an independent contractor and if I don’t work I don’t get paid, so that was like $5612k I lost.

So I have no problem masking—better for my patients, staff, and wallet as long as it’s still around. Until Covid actually reaches the level of being “another common cold” (which it’s not yet—it’s still much worse than the flu), why is there even a debate?

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Many of our school buildings also have areas that provide patient care. For any building that's even remotely clinical, we have to wear masks.

For any building that is purely academic, which really just includes our student center, masks are not required.

I don't require my students to wear masks when we're in my office between patients, but if I asked them to and they refused it would not end well for them.
It really depends on the person. If it was a clinical preceptor who grades me and we had a an longitudinal relationship, then I'd mask up in a second.

This guy was just a one time sub in and I have absolutely zero interest in his speciality so I could care less. Not going to walk on eggshells.

It really depends on the person. If it was a clinical preceptor who grades me and we had a an longitudinal relationship, then I'd mask up in a second.

This guy was just a one time sub in and I have absolutely zero interest in his speciality so I could care less. Not going to walk on eggshells.
That's your choice. Personally I think that's a very risky move. This would be an easy professionalism ding if he'd cared to make an issue of it.

• Okay...
Reactions: 13 users
Or maybe they're wearing masks because they are high risk, or maybe they live/work/spend time with someone who's high risk, etc. I'm not sure why someone would mock someone who continues to choose to wear a mask either especially when you don't have a clue what's going on in their life and why they might have made that decision. I'm guess I'm not exactly sure what "virtue signaling" is, but I really don't find it that hard to believe that there are people out there who genuinely believe that continuing to wear a mask is the right choice for them for medical reasons. Is it 100% effective at preventing COVID? Nope. But it probably helps a little, probably helps reduce spread of other URIs as well which many of us just don't like to deal with especially these days, and wearing a mask is not really that much of an inconvenience or annoyance in 95% of situations.
Wow, that's a lot of high risk since literally everyone has a mask -- better wear a mask your whole life in that situation because you're kidding yourself if you think the risk will end with covid.

I don't have an issue with maskers, I have an issue with people telling me to wear one when it's not required. If someone expresses to me that they're immunocompromised and kindly asks me to wear a mask, then I'd probably wear it.

To me, it's just one more thing to think about. I could see how it's a non-issue for many, but I just have a lot of stuff that's much more important: phone, earbuds, ID, keys, lock, water bottle, jacket since the weather is bimodal, motorcycle helmet, motorcycle gloves, etc etc that I'm actively managing at any given time. I also drink a lot of water and chase my coffee with water so even with masks, I had to take it off multiple times to do that.

Without even getting into the science behind masks, there are a lot of reasons to just go along with wearing a mask when someone respectfully asks you to do so, especially when that person is in your presence as a favor to you. That MD loses time and money every time they step into a room with med students to teach, and it's pretty reasonable to let them set the rules. Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance, and wearing a mask only when asked is a very small sacrifice.

As far as the science/justification goes, the efficacy of mask mandates on a population level is very poor, however, there is strong evidence supporting universal masking in smaller groups when compliance can be more tightly controlled (e.g., in a classroom, in the workplace). With that in mind, it makes sense to adjust mask behavior depending on the situation. General public? Very little justification. Small group of healthy young people? Very little justification. Classroom setting with a mix of younger and older people, which represents a high risk of transmission for many of the older people relative to the rest of their daily life? Good justification.
Personally I just think too big a deal is being made around both masks and the vaccine. I completely agree with @GoSpursGo that there was a stronger argument for vaccine mandates early on before variants essentially eliminated the transmission advantage of being vaccinated. If being vaccinated is primarily for your own benefit, mandates are harder to justify and recommendations are the more appropriate route. We need higher powered studies that examine the effect of vaccines on transmission for these new variants. If such a study exists, I'm unaware of it, but even a small reduction in transmission would likely justify a vaccine mandate for healthcare workers.

Similarly, with masks there is a ton of evidence that they are useful situation-by-situation, but very little evidence that they help on a population level, and I think the review cited displays this quite well. The evidence of "real world" transmission reduction is spotty. The review itself cites only 5 actual studies (i.e., not other reviews) under direct epidemiologic evidence, all are underpowered, and many don't even examine COVID transmission. You can tell the authors were scraping sources together and heavily citing other reviews. I know because I've done the same exact thing writing reviews or introduction sections of papers where the evidence is weak. There is, however, tons of evidence via modeling that with high adherence masks make a huge difference, but in practice we don't see high adherence. At best we see 80% adherence in public settings and basically 0% adherence in private. In 2022 and beyond I doubt we'll ever break 60% compliance outside of very liberal city centers. It seems there are a lot of confounders. On a population level mask mandates do very little to curb the spread, but empowering individuals by protecting certain high risk, well-controlled settings can have an appreciable effect.

To me, this points to poor evidence for public mask mandates, but very strong evidence/justification for requiring masks in certain situations. For instance, if an attending wishes to conduct class with masks because she views class as a high risk environment for her, there is strong evidence that full compliance from the class will reduce her risk.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Not saying you HAVE to listen to somebody who politely asks you to wear a mask when it's not required - you certainly don't. But it is a pretty rude thing to do...just talking about common courtesy here.
Exactly. There is a difference in the threshold for mandatory compliance vs. simply being polite. It's sort of like the difference between behavior that lands you in jail vs. behavior that gets you labeled a jerk. Just like I'll defend anyone's right to say basically anything to anyone and remain a free citizen, I'll defend anyone's right to avoid official punitive measures for not wearing a mask when it's not required.

However, I'll still think you're a jerk if you blatantly insult someone or blatantly refuse to wear a mask when it's perfectly reasonable to do so. Follow the evidence and be a reasonable human being. In a world with so much going wrong, masks are a really dumb hill to die on.

So somebody has to disclose their personal medical history to you in order for you to respond to a respectful request to wear a mask? Not really any of your business. Not saying you HAVE to listen to somebody who politely asks you to wear a mask when it's not required - you certainly don't. But it is a pretty rude thing to do...just talking about common courtesy here.
Yes. It's not my problem if they don't. Tough luck.

So by your logic we should just wear masks forever then? Good luck with that bud. I certainly won't.
Well, some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time and some of us can't, I guess.
I was just saying it's one less thing to worry about, but thanks for basically calling me an idiot -- I'll tell that to the 10+ medical schools who accepted me and the T10 schools that gave me a full ride.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
Yes. It's not my problem if they don't. Tough luck.

So by your logic we should just wear masks forever then? Good luck with that bud. I certainly won't.

I was just saying it's one less thing to worry about, but thanks for basically calling me an idiot -- I'll tell that to the 10+ medical schools who accepted me and the T10 schools that gave me a full ride.
Of course not, don't be ridiculous. But if someone you are in a confined space with asks you to wear a mask the decent thing to do is wear a mask.

Outside of my office, I pretty much never weak a mask. But if I went to, say, my accountant's office and he asked me to wear one I would without a second thought.

Getting accepted to top medical schools doesn't mean you're not a jerk, lacking in social skills, or extremely self centered. I'm not saying you're any of those things (I mean that honestly, very few people are the same online as they are in person). But all it proves is you possess the skill set to get accepted into medical school.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Of course not, don't be ridiculous. But if someone you are in a confined space with asks you to wear a mask the decent thing to do is wear a mask.

Outside of my office, I pretty much never weak a mask. But if I went to, say, my accountant's office and he asked me to wear one I would without a second thought.

Getting accepted to top medical schools doesn't mean you're not a jerk, lacking in social skills, or extremely self centered. I'm not saying you're any of those things (I mean that honestly, very few people are the same online as they are in person). But all it proves is you possess the skill set to get accepted into medical school.
It's cool, we all know the truth about someone who resorts to an ad hominem to start making their argument.

Germany: Masks mandatory, 3G Rule applies (vaccinated, recovered or tested) for staff and visitors. This is after we had a 2G rule (only vaccinated or recovered) and even a stricter 2G+ rule at some point (only vaccinated or recovered AND tested)

I work pretty often in a safety net hospital. Native English speakers are more rare than foreigners, and even native speakers have such different dialect from a typical highly educated med student/resident/attending that communication is tough even without masks. Try getting a good history from a 55 year old Guatemalan man with a complicated disorder and limited medical records while both sides are masked.

This shouldn't be an excuse. I have no problem taking a psychiatric history as a non-native german speaker with a mix of native/non-native german speakers. So far I haven't had this limitation with psychotic, manic, etc patients; and I haven't heard any IMG colleague complain about it either. I only ask them to remove their mask for the pertinent parts of the physical examination.

A poster above mentioned a valid reason though. Patients with limited hearing.

Exactly. There is a difference in the threshold for mandatory compliance vs. simply being polite. It's sort of like the difference between behavior that lands you in jail vs. behavior that gets you labeled a jerk. Just like I'll defend anyone's right to say basically anything to anyone and remain a free citizen, I'll defend anyone's right to avoid official punitive measures for not wearing a mask when it's not required.

However, I'll still think you're a jerk if you blatantly insult someone or blatantly refuse to wear a mask when it's perfectly reasonable to do so. Follow the evidence and be a reasonable human being. In a world with so much going wrong, masks are a really dumb hill to die on.

"I'll defend anyone's right to avoid official punitive measures for not wearing a mask when it's not required."...But then you say, "However, I'll still think you're a jerk if you blatantly insult someone or blatantly refuse to wear a mask when it's perfectly reasonable to do so."

So, according to you, it's ok to label someone a jerk that does not want to wear a mask when not obligated to do so....Got it, once again, there is a lack of tolerance for one side of the isle that believes only their view matters and if you don't align with it...well, your a jerk amongst other things.

Again, your definition of perfectly reasonable, means, if I ask you to, you should then just do it....No, that's not how it works in life.

I have no problem with the wearing of masks, but I will not impose any of my beliefs on anyone else as to whether they want to or not in those situations that don't require the wearing of a mask. I couldn't care less if you wore your mask while outside, alone with no one in sight.

So, according to you, it's ok to label someone a jerk that does not want to wear a mask when not obligated to do so....Got it, once again, there is a lack of tolerance for one side of the isle that believes only their view matters and if you don't align with it...well, your a jerk amongst other things.
Ummm... yes? Social consequences have always differed from professional consequences and legal consequences.

Plenty of objectively crummy actions don't have professional or legal consequences, but that doesn't mean we all have to withhold our thoughts and judgements. This isn't remotely new.

A med student gets a speeding ticket. Will there be legal consequences? Yes. Professional consequences? No. Social consequences? No.

A med student shows up late to rounds. Legal? No. Professional? Yes. Social? No.

A med student goes to an attending's house and makes a somewhat off-color joke. Legal? No. Professional? No. Social? Yes.

A med student refuses to wear a mask after an attending asks them very politely to do so. Legal? No. Professional? No. Social? Yes, obviously.
This shouldn't be an excuse. I have no problem taking a psychiatric history as a non-native german speaker with a mix of native/non-native german speakers. So far I haven't had this limitation with psychotic, manic, etc patients; and I haven't heard any IMG colleague complain about it either. I only ask them to remove their mask for the pertinent parts of the physical examination. A poster above mentioned a valid reason though. Patients with limited hearing.
I think you are severely underestimating our patient population and probably underestimating the effect of masks on your own histories. I work in several hospitals with diverse patient populations. Non-native speakers are much less of a problem with masks at most hospitals, but couple that with severe mental health and socioeconomic factors and communication becomes paramount. We recently diagnosed someone with a very rare cause of heart failure based on a piece of history that was only picked up because someone pressed the patient on a particularity after seeing their facial expression while taking history.

It's hard to know what you're missing. Can you say for certain you haven't misunderstood a patient or missed a subtlety in the history?

For reference, out of 100+ healthcare professionals I've worked with, not a single one has expressed any degree of upset over the fact that our patients at this hospital take their masks off (since vaccine rollout, anyway). It's extremely common for attendings these days to ask patients to doff the mask during history, especially if the patient is socially complicated and limited health records exist for them.

Communication is one of the most important pieces of patient care, and masks absolutely hinder communication. The tradeoff is something that should be discussed with nuance, based on the situation, not off-handed, blanket statements about how it "shouldn't be an excuse."

Reactions: 8 users
A med student refuses to wear a mask after an attending asks them very politely to do so. Legal? No. Professional? No. Social? Yes, obviously.
I would actually say yes to Professional? question because an attending can easily have the power to hurt the student whether now or to trashing the student’s reputation to their colleagues down the line

I'm not brushing it aside. I agree that COVID is probably here to stay forever. I don't think community spread will always be as high as it is now, nor do I think morbidity/mortality from the disease will continue to be as high as it has been - already the rates of long term complications and deaths from COVID are decreasing thanks to less virulent strains and vaccination. So I don't think the mere presence of COVID alone is enough to justify continued mask use, it depends on the prevalence, morbidity, and mortality. In fact I think there have been times in the last year or so when prevalence was lower in certain areas where it was reasonable for lower risk folks to not wear a mask in public under the right circumstances.
Covid is mutating far faster than vaccines/boosters are able to catch up, so the threat of future covid waves will persist for a long time unless a universal covid vaccine is created and can be rapidly tweaked and mass produced. That seems unlikely to happen anytime soon, and masks + distancing + handwashing have been effective countermeasures in the pre-vaccine covid world. With much of the world actually remaining unvaccinated, the threat of new covid variants will persist for years to come, so the likelihood of having to wear masks for years longer remains high

Honestly with all that being said, I’m completely fine if there is a permanent mask requirement in hospitals and clinics, unless of course patients request attendings to remove masks to improve communication.

Reactions: 1 users
All the hospitals in my area that I've rotated through as a resident still require masks in patient settings. Some providers are more strict in staff only areas than others, but most people have become more relaxed. Almost all providers in patient encounters wear masks.

I personally don't think they make a ton of difference - people who wear them all the time and people who don't seem to catch covid at the same rate. If and when masks are dropped, I will gladly stop wearing them personally, but I don't care if others do.

I think the bigger difference I've seen is in testing protocols. Some hospitals are 5 days off, some 10 if positive with symptoms, 1 doesn't care if your positive as long as you are asymptomatic. I think asymptomatic testing is the biggest scam personally. I see residents who literally just do it every so often to get time off, screwing over everyone else in their call pool. It's getting old.

Maybe because Medicare is the agency tasked with paying for the healthcare of those vulnerable elderly people?

• Dislike
  • Love
Status
Not open for further replies.