It Begins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
News in Canada: "Coming soon: nurse practitioner [program] in anesthesia care"

Well, it was a nice run while it lasted up here in the Great White North. Maybe I should drop out of med school and switch over to this program. I'll probably cut 4-5 years of time off my training.

http://www.news.utoronto.ca/media-r...anesthesia-care-to-help-alleviate-surgic.html

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I should drop out of med school and switch over to this program. I'll probably cut 4-5 years of time off my training.

You should drop out!
Pretty much all higher education should be eliminated.
Education is expensive and the bare minimum is probably ideal!

Members don't see this ad :)
"These nurse practitioners will make important contributions to the anesthesia care team because of their flexible skills set and expertise surrounding the peri-operative experience"

I wish I had a flexible skills set. Whatever the fck that means.

Flexible skills set....is it wrong that thound sounds sexy and kinda turns me on? :oops:

well, at least it's an ACT environment. you would also save a buncha money.
I'm a 1st year student, so let's see....3 more years of medical school + 5 years of residency = 8

If I drop out and take an accelerated BScN program with my prior degree, that would take 2 years + 1-2 for the anesthetist program = 4

Less debt, extra years of income. I wonder how competitive gas will be in the next 10 years.

How the f--- does having more NPs improve surgical wait times?!! Isn't that surgeon-dependent, you know, the guy who actually does the surgery? Unless they're going to start giving the knife to the NPs and let them run the whole show. :thumbdown:

How the f--- does having more NPs improve surgical wait times?!! Isn't that surgeon-dependent, you know, the guy who actually does the surgery? Unless they're going to start giving the knife to the NPs and let them run the whole show. :thumbdown:

Stand by.

Pretty soon we'll have to hire pathology tech practitioners with online or distance-learning AA degrees to handle the extra autopsies.

Stand by.

Pretty soon we'll have to hire pathology tech practitioners with online or distance-learning AA degrees to handle the extra autopsies.

clearly this isn't far fetched at all. there are cities/towns/villages that have coroners who aren't physicians, and they perform autopsies. (i believe florida is one state off the top of my head that employs this system).

I'm a 1st year student, so let's see....3 more years of medical school + 5 years of residency = 8

If I drop out and take an accelerated BScN program with my prior degree, that would take 2 years + 1-2 for the anesthetist program = 4

Less debt, extra years of income. I wonder how competitive gas will be in the next 10 years.

no crna program is less than 24 months. and the few (maybe two) that are 24, will be hard-pressed to not increase to 28-32 months.

and, just wondering where the 5 years of residency comes from? last i knew, and those i work with, do a pgy1 and ca1-3, so that's 4 in my addition. unless there are programs that require 5 years (without specialty or fellowship) residency.

no crna program is less than 24 months. and the few (maybe two) that are 24, will be hard-pressed to not increase to 28-32 months.

and, just wondering where the 5 years of residency comes from? last i knew, and those i work with, do a pgy1 and ca1-3, so that's 4 in my addition. unless there are programs that require 5 years (without specialty or fellowship) residency.

Arguing about years of training is a mistake. It allows nurses to define the terms of the discussion in an irrelevant way. They have 3-4 years of nursing education but 0 years of medical training!

Leviathan is in Canada. They do things a bit differently up there.

Arguing about years of training is a mistake. It allows nurses to define the terms of the discussion in an irrelevant way. They have 3-4 years of nursing education but 0 years of medical training!

not arguing, just clarifying. hope this helps. have a grreat day!!

Canada's anes program has a one year Critical Care component built into the training. For US grads who want to practice in Canada (for whatever reason), you have to complete an additional year of critical care fellowship before you can be board certified up north.